Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peter King Thinks Vikings Suck
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...king-fmia/

Vikings come in 24th. Last year's 24th ranked team won 5 games. Interesting how the Vikings add Hunter, Pierce, Tomlinson, Barr, Kendricks and Peterson and lose three more games because of it.

Also, If anyone wants to, it's fun to compare the 49ers to the Vikings, each team's key players returning from injury, the QB/RB/WR combos, etc. and try to figure out how one ranks 5th and the other 24th. 

Being overlooked is a good thing or the Vikings, and as long as things like this continue to influence Vegas, it's good for my bank account, too, but still, pretty crazy stuff. 

Peter might have had a little too much "beernerdness" when writing this article

I knew that the team would be underrated this year by the media. But I've also seen some 'they could lose 11 games or win 11 games' type stuff, alluding that they have some talent. 

It's expected from the talking heads. There are a lot of factors and some new additions so we'll see what happens. I am letting go of expectations. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:

Vikings come in 24th. Last year's 24th ranked team won 5 games. Interesting how the Vikings add Hunter, Pierce, Tomlinson, Barr, Kendricks and Peterson and lose three more games because of it.

Also, If anyone wants to, it's fun to compare the 49ers to the Vikings, each team's key players returning from injury, the QB/RB/WR combos, etc. and try to figure out how one ranks 5th and the other 24th. 

Being overlooked is a good thing or the Vikings, and as long as things like this continue to influence Vegas, it's good for my bank account, too, but still, pretty crazy stuff. 
Well...  the 49ers were in the Super Bowl prior to suffering a ton of injuries to key players last season.  Meanwhile, the Vikings high water mark with Cousins is 10-6 and a wild card playoff win.

Just sayin'...

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I knew that the team would be underrated this year by the media. But I've also seen some 'they could lose 11 games or win 11 games' type stuff, alluding that they have some talent. 
Yeah, i saw that one too. Personally, I don't think this is a "high variance" team. I think it's fairly low variance. The core of a playoff team is there. And it was there last year, too. We just had to deal with a terrible start, youth in the secondary without a preseason, and a big number of key injuries. 

Unless the Vikings get hit by the injury bug again (unlikely two years in a row), then this is a 10 to 11 win team. If those rookie offensive linemen play well, the upside is a 13 to 14 win team IMO.

It's like everyone forgot Hunter, Barr, Kendricks coming back, not to mention the two IDLs we signed...not to mention we already had what is probably the NFL's best RB/WR/WR. And ya know what? The QB ain't half bad either. 

I'm always reasonably optimistic about the Vikings, but in 50 years of being a fan, I don't remember a year where the media was so far out of sync with the objective realities of our roster. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Well...  the 49ers were in the Super Bowl prior to suffering a ton of injuries to key players last season.  Meanwhile, the Vikings high water mark with Cousins is 10-6 and a wild card playoff win.

Just sayin'...
Yeah, and who did they beat to get there? The Vikings in the divisional round. A Vikings team without JJ, Pierce, Tomlinson, Dantzler, Peterson...

Not saying the Vikings are better than the 49ers. Just saying...the 49ers pick right up where they left off after getting players back from injury (most notably Jimmy G)? And the Vikings after improving almost every unit...rank...24th? No, that's just not objective. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:

So here's a different way to look at it.  Peter King's goal is to generate clicks that generate ad revenue.  I don't know of a way to gauge the number of fans a team would have better then TV viewership?  By all means if there's a better way I'm all ears?
So if I come at this as a way to generate clicks I'd probably say good stuff about teams with lots of fans and I'd probably say bad/controversial things about teams that are middle of the pack and down.
Dallas comes in as the top viewed team in terms of TV viewership.  I would expect that there is quite a bit of casual fans in that equation but Dallas Fort Worth is huge.  So I get some freebee clicks if I'm ultra positive about them from the casual fans and obviously get the diehards.  If I say a high viewed team is gonna suck I probably don't get as many casual fans?

If I'm writing to the middle of the pack sized or lower fan bases I'd think controversial would probably generate more clicks?

Anyway, didn't mean to side track this.  Just coming at it from a different angle. 

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/...234616911/

Had the vikings had any semblance of a defense last year they would have won at minimum 11 games.  Cousins led the team on a winning drive vs Tennessee, seattle and Dallas and the defense let the other team walk down the field.  (chicago game could have been won as well with any defense)

That was a team that was starting players off the street, had no pass rush and no true nose tackle along with 2 rookies.  We are winning the division.

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

So here's a different way to look at it.  Peter King's goal is to generate clicks that generate ad revenue.  I don't know of a way to gauge the number of fans a team would have better then TV viewership?  By all means if there's a better way I'm all ears?
So if I come at this as a way to generate clicks I'd probably say good stuff about teams with lots of fans and I'd probably say bad/controversial things about teams that are middle of the pack and down.
Dallas comes in as the top viewed team in terms of TV viewership.  I would expect that there is quite a bit of casual fans in that equation but Dallas Fort Worth is huge.  So I get some freebee clicks if I'm ultra positive about them from the casual fans and obviously get the diehards.  If I say a high viewed team is gonna suck I probably don't get as many casual fans?

If I'm writing to the middle of the pack sized or lower fan bases I'd think controversial would probably generate more clicks?

Anyway, didn't mean to side track this.  Just coming at it from a different angle. 

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/...234616911/

yeah, journalism is dead.  The Cowherd affect is in full swing.  Don't care if you sound stupid, as long as somebody notices.