Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, I Did A Thing
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
So quick question...do all these electric vehicles makers have a universal charging system or are they being stupid and trying  do their own thing like apple?

I am looking at doing an addition and new garage and I would think a charging station would be a wise part of the plan but if they are all gonna be different then maybe not?

Lol, then the bastards change the plug every couple models. 

That brings up another question.  If you buy a new EV does it come with a charger?

In the BMW's I sell they come with a 110 standard. A 220 option is available for additional $$'s. This will dang near 1/2 the charging time but most be professionally installed. 
Lots of new house construction have a garage hookup with 220-240 V for charging electric cars.

Its easy for an electrician to come into your garage and get a 220 outlet installed. 
LOL,  I would see a 220 outlet in a garage and think .... welder,  or camper hookup.  honestly if we werent having this conversation a car charging point would be about the last thing I would think of.
Lots of air compressors take 220-240, see the vertical 80 gallons all over the place. Electric cars aren't going anywhere, they are only going to be more popular.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
So quick question...do all these electric vehicles makers have a universal charging system or are they being stupid and trying  do their own thing like apple?

I am looking at doing an addition and new garage and I would think a charging station would be a wise part of the plan but if they are all gonna be different then maybe not?

Lol, then the bastards change the plug every couple models. 

That brings up another question.  If you buy a new EV does it come with a charger?

In the BMW's I sell they come with a 110 standard. A 220 option is available for additional $$'s. This will dang near 1/2 the charging time but most be professionally installed. 
Lots of new house construction have a garage hookup with 220-240 V for charging electric cars.

Its easy for an electrician to come into your garage and get a 220 outlet installed. 
LOL,  I would see a 220 outlet in a garage and think .... welder,  or camper hookup.  honestly if we werent having this conversation a car charging point would be about the last thing I would think of.
Lots of air compressors take 220-240, see the vertical 80 gallons all over the place. Electric cars aren't going anywhere, they are only going to be more popular.
Yes,  but most people that have those larger compressors have them installed in a separate room so the can close them off for noise reasons,  usually not right in the parking/working area,  but I agree they arent going anywhere,  thats why I was asking about the connections and such so I can consider pre-wiring my new garage for the likelihood of one eventually being parked in there.  I will likely wait until the SUV versions are more developed and affordable,  but its very likely that most of us will be owning at least one of them in the near future.

[Image: 072r7i5iyjmh.jpeg]

It's agate black with a pollen glaze.

Honda Commits to Selling Only EVs and Fuel-Cell Vehicles by 2040Honda is the latest automaker to make an ambitious commitment to electric vehicles. Toshihiro Mibe, the company's new CEO, announced that Honda will exclusively sell battery-electric and hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles by 2040. The company also set a timeline for its phasing out of gasoline engines, which will gradually disappear from the lineup over the next two decades.

For North America specifically, the goal is to for EVs and fuel-cell vehicles to make up 40 percent of Honda's new-vehicle sales by 2030, 80 percent by 2035, and 100 percent by 2040. The first two of Honda's new EV models will arrive for the 2024 model year using GM's Ultium battery platform. Both will be crossovers, with one wearing a Honda badge and the other falling under the Acura luxury division. We might expect the Honda version to look somewhat like the Honda e SUV prototype recently shown for the Chinese market (pictured above).
After the Ultium-powered EVs arrive, Honda will introduce its own electric-vehicle platform called e:Architecture. The company says these models will arrive in the "second half of the 2020s" and that they'll go on sale in North America before they reach other global markets. 
Honda is less specific about its U.S. plans for hydrogen-powered fuel-cell vehicles. It currently sells the Clarity in California but has not announced any additional fuel-cell models for the near future.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Honda Commits to Selling Only EVs and Fuel-Cell Vehicles by 2040Honda is the latest automaker to make an ambitious commitment to electric vehicles. Toshihiro Mibe, the company's new CEO, announced that Honda will exclusively sell battery-electric and hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles by 2040. The company also set a timeline for its phasing out of gasoline engines, which will gradually disappear from the lineup over the next two decades.

For North America specifically, the goal is to for EVs and fuel-cell vehicles to make up 40 percent of Honda's new-vehicle sales by 2030, 80 percent by 2035, and 100 percent by 2040. The first two of Honda's new EV models will arrive for the 2024 model year using GM's Ultium battery platform. Both will be crossovers, with one wearing a Honda badge and the other falling under the Acura luxury division. We might expect the Honda version to look somewhat like the Honda e SUV prototype recently shown for the Chinese market (pictured above).
After the Ultium-powered EVs arrive, Honda will introduce its own electric-vehicle platform called e:Architecture. The company says these models will arrive in the "second half of the 2020s" and that they'll go on sale in North America before they reach other global markets. 
Honda is less specific about its U.S. plans for hydrogen-powered fuel-cell vehicles. It currently sells the Clarity in California but has not announced any additional fuel-cell models for the near future.

They see where this is going....and no carmaker can afford to be behind on this initiative. There will continue to be innovation here in this technology and the vehicles will be able to go longer and longer distances. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:

They see where this is going....and no carmaker can afford to be behind on this initiative. There will continue to be innovation here in this technology and the vehicles will be able to go longer and longer distances. 
And costs will come down too...

I actually think hydrogen has mass mkt potential, way beyond what's being talked about today. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:

And costs will come down too...

I actually think hydrogen has mass mkt potential, way beyond what's being talked about today. 
It will be like lng or lp, the investment made into electric by the big automakers will suppress a better fuel source development and use.

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning First Look: The Electric Pickup Has a Shockingly Low Price, Mega Specs
The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning full-size all-electric pickup is a thunderbolt that strikes at the heart of an industry hurtling toward adoption of electric cars. That heart is shaped like, well, the American full-size pickup truck market.
The F-150 has been the best-selling truck for 44 years running, and Ford has tampered with it big time to produce the new electric Lightning. (Ford used the name previously on its SVT-branded performance pickup discontinued after the 2004 model year.) The F-150's combustion engine is replaced with batteries and electric motors, normally an insignificant, regulation-satisfying pivot in today's car market, but on a high-volume vehicle such as the F-150, it potentially represents a seismic shift—not just for Ford but also for the industry and its overall adoption of EVs. 
And with the base work truck carrying a starting price of $41,669 (the MSRP minus the required destination charges is just under $40,000, and it qualifies for Federal and state EV tax incentives), Ford sends a strong message that you don't need deep pockets to go electric.
The Lightning does not replace the "regular" F-150. It instead expands the truck family with a smoother, more aerodynamic electric version with cool lighting and wheels. It comes only with the four-door SuperCrew cab and a 5.5-foot bed. The look is distinct, with traces of Mustang Mach-E, but remains instantly recognizable as an F-150. Ford leadership told the truck's designers it didn't want the 2022 Lightning to look like a science experiment.
Why should a loyal pickup truck buyer consider the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning when it goes on sale in May 2022? Because it boasts few compromises but delivers various superlative features that might make the conventional truck look like an outright Luddite.
[Image: 2022-Ford-F-150-Lightning-touchscreen.jp...770:481.25]

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-for...ok-review/

Some of that shit is a waste,  but overall I think they are on the right path.  The price point is a bit high to get many conventional truck buyers to make the switch,  but I have to say they are making a good first step to converting gas truck buyers.