Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings interested in Geno Atkins
Quote: @Tyr said:
I love the idea of bringing in Atkins for a Tom Johnson type role. I'd still prefer to draft a young interior pass rusher, but if they are really not sold on the DT class, then it lets them use more draft capital to address needs like OL and DE, even if it kicks the interior pass rush need down the road.
Well, being they haven't been able to draft one of those probably not a bad idea to keep signing veterans.

Quote: @Tyr said:
I love the idea of bringing in Atkins for a Tom Johnson type role. I'd still prefer to draft a young interior pass rusher, but if they are really not sold on the DT class, then it lets them use more draft capital to address needs like OL and DE, even if it kicks the interior pass rush need down the road.
Except that Tom Johnson is no Geno Atkins. Over the last several years there is only one DT who has been better than Atkins and that's Aaron Donald. Atkins will be in the Hall of Fame. 

One year prove-it deal to a rotational pass rushing terror like Atkins. Sign me up. The only bad thing about this "news" is it could mean we're out on Fisher and Brown. Can't imagine they can afford both, unless we get that Harry deal done. 

If Atkins will do a one year, taking advantage of less reps, more impact to generate one last big contract in 2023.  That would make sense for all parties.

Atkins and a DE in the 1st.  

I want the most dangerous DL in football.  Hunter, Rousseau, Weatherly, Pierce, Tomlinson, Atkins, plus Wonnum and Lynch

The DL can control any football game, especially the key ones versus the better OLs.  Free flowing LBs and improving CBs, a top 5 defense.

Atkins turns 33 Sunday.

He missed last year with injury.

He can still play , Tom Johnson kinda role makes sense.

Thinking the Atkins interest means that if we don't land him, Daviyon Nixon is very much in play for us if we can somehow trade into a 2nd rounder. Wishful thinking, but it sure would be nice to field some variation of the following lines...

Brown Jr or D1 - Cole or D3 - Bradbury - Cleveland - O'Neill
Hunter - Pierce - Tomlinson - Atkins or Nixon (D2) - Phillips or Oweh (concussions be damned)