Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it me or are NFL teams bagging on their rookie QBs quick?
Not specific to Tua, but NFL and college offensive systems are now more similar than they're not. That wasn't the case 5 years ago. 

In today's NFL you expect more immediate ROI on your QB since you're putting them in a system similar to what they ran the past 4 years. There are differences but its not a quantum leap. 5 years ago you had to basically onboard a QB into a pro style system which was a massive jump that easily could take 2-3 years. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Not specific to Tua, but NFL and college offensive systems are now more similar than they're not. That wasn't the case 5 years ago. 

In today's NFL you expect more immediate ROI on your QB since you're putting them in a system similar to what they ran the past 4 years. There are differences but its not a quantum leap. 5 years ago you had to basically onboard a QB into a pro style system which was a massive jump that easily could take 2-3 years. 
This gets me back to watching the Ohio State QB vs Bama...

That kid had to line everyone up, see how Bama was lined-up on D and then look back at the sidelines for the final play before ever hiking the ball.

I dont recall seeing that in college ball as much as I used to? It makes me wonder how much development he's going to need vs other QB's adapting to a pro system???

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

This gets me back to watching the Ohio State QB vs Bama...

That kid had to line everyone up, see how Bama was lined-up on D and then look back at the sidelines for the final play before ever hiking the ball.

I dont recall seeing that in college ball as much as I used to? It makes me wonder how much development he's going to need vs other QB's adapting to a pro system???

It really depends on the coach and OC, everyone in college does it a little differently. What Ohio State was doing on the sideline was basically dictating how Fields was going to read his progressions. A lot of college OCs sit upstairs so they can basically read the defense from the QB and after the offense is set they basically use all of the funny pictures, gifs, and hand signals to say whether its man/zone and which receiver is going to be the hot read. Its not college QBs aren't capable but its easier to focus on calling the play and getting everyone lined up. Its also why you see a lot of college offenses motion guys around and then pause before snapping the ball. Like it would a QB it gives the OC a better feel for if a defense is in man or zone. 

Ironically when McVay took over for the Rams he was doing that for Goff. Teams eventually figured that out and made changes after the 15 second mark on the play clock when communication stops. But I would think lots of rookie QBs in the NFL get help pre-snap. 5 years ago that would be horrifying for a coach and they'd label the player as not ready. But really it just takes time.