Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miscellaneous Thoughts – VikingOracle
Quote: @Jor-El said:
I assume you mean defensive linemen specifically; Denny drafted and developed many good players at other positions. But holy crap, during the Green era, NO ONE would have said our franchise was good at finding defensive linemen! Even it he had not picked the infamous Dimitrius Underwood, he chose Derrick Alexander (over Sapp), James Manley, and Michael Boireau - among the teams' all-time worst draft picks. Every year he picked at least one DL in the top two rounds and the best from that entire decade was Chris Hovan. But there were some really bad years when I was a kid and the team was trying to replace the original PPE. Remember Randy Holloway, Duck White, or Doug Martin? Probably not.

Ah, yes I meant Defensive Line.  Stalin Colinet, Duane Clemons, Hovan, Fernando Smith.  He had plenty of shots at it.  The only one that really hit was Gilbert Brown, after he was cut.

Quote: @Ponifan said:
@VikingOracle said:
  • Sam Bradford Will Have a Big Year:  Why do i know this -- because i have been a Vikings fan for decades.  Think about -- what will cause the Vikings the most off season drama  -- Bradford having a monster year coupled with Teddy being fully healthy.  Think Cunningham taking over for Johnson and Johnson subsequently being traded.  Bradford having a big year would lead to a typical Viking off season of turmoil.
  • Sam Bradford Thoughts:  I have thought about this a while and I think the Vikes are planning to let Bradford leave as a free agent at the end of this year,  If they do so, they can recoup a fourth round draft pick (probably) as compensation (I doubt the Vikes will have a lot of money to sign FAs this next off season to offset the loss of Bradford).  
  • Preseason Flashes: Every season I am reminded that i am just a fan and coaches are coaches for a reason.  This time of year is especially good at humbling me.  Last year at this time I thought Tre Roberson showed enough promise as a CB that the Vikes would not try to sneak him onto the practice squad.   He is not even talked about this year.  Think about the players from prior preseasons who seemed destine to grow into a roster spot and have never developed further.  It is really interesting to me to try to identify low draft picks/free agents who will blossom -- but it is a crap shoot just watching some preseason to see who will develop.  What player on the roster is the next Sendejo or Thielen?  what attributes are necessary to not only show potential one season but to actually develop that potential?   To me, Coley and Bower seem like obvious high upside youngsters.  I had great hope for Tocho but have heard next to nothing and can't recall any plays made by him.
  • SF Game:  I have mixed feeling about how poorly the starters played.  On one hand, I am hoping this causes them to really concentrate on the Saints game (I have a bet with my nephew on this game).  On the other hand, I wonder whether this shows some systemic issue we are not privy to -- maybe a problem that took root last year in the second half.  I hate to see a team sleepwalk through a first half 
  • Players I Have Soured On:  I have been a big fan of Edmond Robinson but he seems out of position too much.  Likewise, I have been unimpressed with Barr this preseason, he seems out of position at times, not to know his assignment or not holding the edge.  Boone seems to lack his usual fire.  Waynes looked horrible yesterday -- very disappointed with him.
  • Players I Like More Now:  I will lump together Price and Exum -- I think they both look like the lights are going on.  Plus, they are good on special teams.  I think it will be fund to watch the two E-boys develop on the offensive life.  Maybe make that the vowel boys and throw in Isidora.  Pretty anyone on the defensive line is worth watching.  Which leads me to my next thought....
  • Vikings and DLineman:  Why are some teams so good at finding and developing good players at one spot and so poor at other spots.  And I don't mean on coaching regime -- I mean historically?  The Vikes have been good since the beginning in finding and developing DLine talent.  Vikes have also been excellent finding and developing centers over the years.  But the Vikes have done poorly with cornerbacks (and may have the best cornerback in his history on the roster right now).   Strange to me that over a ton of different coaches and personnel people, the vikes would be so good in finding quality dlinemen and and centers and struggle finding cornerbacks and quarterbacks.

To me, it looks like Robinson was out of position on that short screen pass that went the distance.  After biting too hard in the SEA game, Robinson holds back in this game and gets caught too far downfield which gave the ball-carrier half the field to run.  He had 4 tackles, but I don't know if I see any improvement from his rookie year.
Yea I re-watched the game and on that play Robinson was blocked out of the play but he was also taking a poor angle fwiw.  Exum took a really poor angle and was in chase mode early on in the play and then Kearse came up and completely whiffed on a clear shot at a tackle.  Exum and Kearse had some nice plays this past game but they also had some very poor plays (which every player has)  Exum whiffed a two other tackles from what I can remember.

Back to Robinson - Before preseason in camp I predicted that Robinson would be the starter for Greenway's 30 snaps.  He has faded behind Gedeon. Lamur should be a goner.  Gedeon has looked decent but he looks more the prototypical MLB but when he plays he is at OLB.  Robinson has not progressed.  Still some time but maybe thins year - 7th rounder out of a small school so we knew project.  

I think we might be looking very closely at LB as the cuts come!

Quote: @minny65 said:
I think we might be looking very closely at LB as the cuts come!
This is what I think too. Ben Gedeon is clearly this year's Mr. Mankato Award winner. And while I think he could maybe be a player for us down the line. I think it's a shame that we are going to have to rely on him for a bit. Of course you can't have first rounders at every position. But I think despite him showing well in practice he is just a guy in that role this year.