Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Cleveland Indians name change
Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@AGRforever said:
Sooooo,....when are the Vikings long lost ancestors going to protest?  Did you know how racist those horns are?
If it happens it happens. I can’t really see it becoming an issue in the same way but if rhere is a group of people that feel stringky enough about it at a time that the owner feels compelled either bexause of morals or financials then so be it. 

Someone can find something offensive in everything.  Where does it stop?  Do we ever run out of things to bitch about? 

Example:  My wife and I have been watching Coach on imdb to fall asleep to lately.  They'd never allow a show like that on the air again with a touchy as we've all become to everything.

What a joke. I hate how PC everything is now, and there is nothing wrong with the Indians name. Most native American's don't give a shit.

For the record if the Vikings ever changed their name....I'm out and will find a new team to support

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
What a joke. I hate how PC everything is now, and there is nothing wrong with the Indians name. Most native American's don't give a shit.

For the record if the Vikings ever changed their name....I'm out and will find a new team to support
 a few years back I asked my native American customers how they felt about the Redskins and a few other team names like the Fighting Sioux (since my customers are  Sioux tribe members) and they said it wasnt an issue for them and a few even said that they liked the fact that there are teams with those names because for most of the country the Native Americans are not really a visible people so they are out of site out of mind, except for the pro sports reminders.  most of the native kids I grew up with were fans of teams with native logos or names.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@Mike Olson said:
@AGRforever said:
Sooooo,....when are the Vikings long lost ancestors going to protest?  Did you know how racist those horns are?
If it happens it happens. I can’t really see it becoming an issue in the same way but if rhere is a group of people that feel stringky enough about it at a time that the owner feels compelled either bexause of morals or financials then so be it. 

Someone can find something offensive in everything.  Where does it stop?  
It probably stops among groups that don't have a history of genocide and discrimination. So like Cowboys, Vikings, etc. 

The rest of the world wonders why we stupidly have a team named the indians when we are nowhere near india and are even more befuddled that we argue for the purpose of continuing to display that ignorance. Murica!

Maybe they keep the name and change the logo to a Dish Network call center?

Quote: @AGRforever said:
At the time, "Viking" was an activity, not a nationality. A person was a Dane when he was farming or most of his time; in the spring they would "go viking". Some enemies called them Vikings out of misunderstanding and fear.

Glad they are changing it if they want to probably the sensitive thing to do but changing the name will do nothing for the plight of the Native American community.  

When teams and corporations invest in the communities and bring jobs and fund substance abuse programs to help lift this community out of the mess then I will care.