Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Again our coach shows he is a dipshit.
I have been off the Zimmer bandwagon for 2 years now but I try not to beat it to death.  Main reason is I don't have a coach alternative that jumps off the chart to me.  If you type in top coaching candidates you will find a list that a guy like Eric Bienamy (??) is listed at the top.  I don't know about him for several reasons.  Of course there is his time with us when he sent in our (FB) late in the Favre championship game vs Saints and bounty gate which bugs me.  Plus he doesn't really call plays with the Chiefs, Andy Reid still does.  Then he gets credit for having Mahomes as the QB when I'm don't think Bienamy should get credit for picking or developing Mahomes.

I do lean towards an offensive minded HC who would pick and groom a high draft pick QB as soon as this draft.  I am not sure when we will be within striking distance of a top QB prospect moving forward and I am not sure we will be this year either.  But when you look at the balls (GM Dorsey and Andy Reid) has for moving from the 27th pick to 10th for Mahomes that is the kind of conviction I am looking for to change the history of this franchise.  Of course huge risk vs reward.  Not looking up now but the Chiefs gave up something like their 1st (27th), 2ns rounder, 1st the next year and more...I think??  The Chiefs did that coming off a couple Division Championships in a row (12-4 and 10-6) and Alex Smith Pro Bowl.  They knew Smith wasn't going to get them over the hump and had the balls and have been rewarded for years to come. 

Now their might not be a QB that we even fall in love with or have that conviction for??  I am really liking Wilson (BYU) but I am no guru.  It is very very early but most drafts have him going in the 5-10 range.  If we have the 15-20 pick we would be in striking distance to get him and that might not happen for years to come.  Wilson has the "it" factor IMO.  The way the ball just explodes from his wrist/arm is something I have not seen very often.  He throws 35-40 yards passes on a dime with no effort.  Not that this is all you need to be a great QB of course because his arm is in that Jeff George area from what I can see and we all know how that knuckle head worked out Smile  But Wilson just has such velocity on his throws with accuracy.  Mahomes had one of the highest velocity throws at the combine with 2 other no name guys in the same area over the years so it is not a marker of success but again Wilson seems to have very good accuracy with the arm, doesn't throw Int's, can move well in and out of the pocket etc....to me he looks like the total package who might be in reach???

But as others have pointed out, with Zimmer, our Cousins contract and Spelly thinking our window is still open I very highly doubt the brass is looking at this upcoming draft through that lens. 

My thoughts are the following to make that all a possibility not a probability.  I would move on from Zimmer (replacement thoughts to follow).  If I'm the Wilf's I would want to keep Spelly but tell him it is time to move on from Zimmer and look to the future beyond Cousins.  In other words, ignore Cousins contract that is "sunk" cost and should not influence the future QB position and the "opportunity" cost of drafting  a guy like Wilson.  Cousins is a good QB to sit and learn from like Mahomes did with Alex Smith.  A rookie comes cheap so our total QB positional spending would not be too outrageous over the next few years.   

I don't think Kubiak ever want to be a HC again but I would want to retain him and help continue to build the offense and develop the rookie QB.  Kubiak has a history with the DC of the 49'ers Robert Saleh who is a very hot commodity according to most articles.  He is from Michigan and I'm sure the Lions will go hard after him.  I know I said I preferred a OC as our next HC but I think the combination of Kubiak and a young defensive mind like Saleh might be a very good future combination.  

So a lot of (hate having to use this word) matriculation to make my latest whims happen but this is how beautiful minds work Smile

I've been on the Zimmer wagon for a long time but I concede that the Vikings have not been the Vikings since the second half of the Eagles NFCC game.  I don't know what was said or done to piss players off, but its been a different team since.  For that reason, I think its time to move on. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@supafreak84 said:
Mike Zimmer is the best coach this team has had since Grant and its not even close.  He has routinely had this team in playoff contention year after year. To bash him and call for his ouster in a Covid effected season where you are trying to work in young players without the benefit of a preseason is just crazy.  Our big free agent signing and nose tackle Michael Pierce opted out, Hunter's been out all year, Barr (Pro Bowler) missed most of the season, we have no defensive lineman playing significant minutes drafted before the 4th round, and on top of all that we are trying to break in a completely new secondary comprised of rookies and undrafted free agents. The fact that we are even still in playoff contention at this point is an accomplishment and Zimmer should be commended. As far as I'm concerned this season is a mulligan. 
 Green was lightyears beyond him.
Absolutely. Green was an innovator and he fielded a team which dominated. Regardless of how the 1998 season ended, Zimmer has not sniffed the kind of football success we saw that year. 

There was a comment earlier how some people treat Zimmer differently than Green in terms of problems caused by kickers. That is very true, and just contrast those situations. Yesterday, Zimmer had absolutely no reason to trust Bailey, everyone else knew it, but he kept lining him up to kick - and everyone is screaming for Bailey's head and expressing sympathy for Zimmer. Green, OTOH, had a kicker who had literally been PERFECT for an entire season (and already made 5 kicks in the game) - but most people talk about "Da Knee" far more than Gary Anderson. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@supafreak84 said:
Mike Zimmer is the best coach this team has had since Grant and its not even close.  He has routinely had this team in playoff contention year after year. To bash him and call for his ouster in a Covid effected season where you are trying to work in young players without the benefit of a preseason is just crazy.  Our big free agent signing and nose tackle Michael Pierce opted out, Hunter's been out all year, Barr (Pro Bowler) missed most of the season, we have no defensive lineman playing significant minutes drafted before the 4th round, and on top of all that we are trying to break in a completely new secondary comprised of rookies and undrafted free agents. The fact that we are even still in playoff contention at this point is an accomplishment and Zimmer should be commended. As far as I'm concerned this season is a mulligan. 

If I remember correctly, our 98 team should have cruised to a Superbowl win, and the 41-0 loss to the giants doesn't really scream SuperCoach.

Quote: @wiviking said:
@Mike Olson said:
@supafreak84 said:

If I remember correctly, our 98 team should have cruised to a Superbowl win, and the 41-0 loss to the giants doesn't really scream SuperCoach.
Yep Green was real good regular season coach but sucked in playoffs. To this day I can't figure out how DaKnee fucked up in the 98 NFC Championship.