Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump and Melania test positive for Covid
Whatever.

So let me ask you a question, when the vaccine is available are you going to take it or defer based on you political position?

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
Whatever.

So let me ask you a question, when the vaccine is available are you going to take it or defer based on you political position?
It appears NYT's attempt to point to Trump hypocrisy via "human embryonic stem cells" was
wrong. 
According to fact-checking USA Today, Regeneron and Science periodical. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/10/08/fact-check-trumps-antibody-therapy-not-made-fetal-stem-cells/5901542002/

The claim: Antibody cocktail Trump received is made from fetal stem cells Our rating: False 

Quote: @"savannahskol" said:
@"BigAl99" said:
Whatever.

It appears NYT's attempt to point to Trump hypocrisy via "human embryonic stem cells" was
wrong. 
According to fact-checking USA Today, Regeneron and Science periodical. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/10/08/fact-check-trumps-antibody-therapy-not-made-fetal-stem-cells/5901542002/

The claim: Antibody cocktail Trump received is made from fetal stem cells Our rating: False 

It said the vaccine was "Tested" like right in the headline, try again.

So the therapy doesn't use stem cells in the creation, but it was tested on fetal stem cells.  There is a difference, but Al's post was correct. 

The difference doesn't absolve the issue.  Although trying to pin this as hypocrisy on Trump is a bit thin.  I am going out on a limb and guessing Trump probably hasn't studied the issue deeply.  His admin did suspend funding for new research using them, but that does little to change the fact the existing cell lines have been used in many vaccines and other pharma over the years.  I object to any use of these cell lines, creation or testing.  It isn't surprising big Pharma is using them.  Big pharma is complicit in the problem.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
So the therapy doesn't use stem cells in the creation, but it was tested on fetal stem cells.  There is a difference, but Al's post was correct. 

The difference doesn't absolve the issue.  Although trying to pin this as hypocrisy on Trump is a bit thin.  I am going out on a limb and guessing Trump probably hasn't studied the issue deeply.  His admin did suspend funding for new research using them, but that does little to change the fact the existing cell lines have been used in many vaccines and other pharma over the years.  I object to any use of these cell lines, creation or testing.  It isn't surprising big Pharma is using them.  Big pharma is complicit in the problem.

Although there seems to be some difference in opinion.  MIT say's yes

Trump’s antibody treatment was tested using cells originally derived from an abortionThe
Trump administration has looked to curtail research with fetal cells.
But when it was life or death for the president, no one objected.
[Image: GettyImages-1276876840-web.jpg]
President Donald Trump with Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett on September 26.Getty
This
week, President Donald Trump extolled the cutting-edge coronavirus
treatments he received as “miracles coming down from God.” If that’s
true, then God employs cell lines derived from human fetal tissue.
https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/10...-abortion/
"But cells originally derived from a fetus were used in another way.
According to Regeneron, laboratory tests used to assess the potency of
its antibodies employed a standardized supply of cells called HEK 293T,
whose origin was kidney tissue from an abortion in the Netherlands in
the 1970s.

Since then, the 293T cells have been “immortalized,”
meaning they keep dividing in the lab, somewhat like a cancer, and have
undergone other genetic changes and additions.

According to
Regeneron, it and many other labs employ 293T cells to manufacture virus
“pseudoparticles,” which are virus-like structures that contain the
“spike” protein of the deadly coronavirus. It needs those to test how
well different antibodies will neutralize the virus."

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
Johns Hopkins puts us right about 3% death rate. Again do the math. Are you ready to see that many people die?

The WHO just admitted a .14% IFR (infection fatality rate).  Just a bit south of the 3.4% they predicted.  And right in line with the seasonal flu.
We really should lock everyone in their house for the next year.

@"Mike Olson" said:
Johns Hopkins puts us right about 3% death rate. Again do the math. Are you ready to see that many people die?

The WHO just admitted a .14% IFR (infection fatality rate).  Just a bit south of the 3.4% they predicted.  And right in line with the seasonal flu.
RIGHT IN LINE WITH THE SEASONAL FLU?!?!?!

Remind me the last time 220k died in a year from the flu much less in 8 months.

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Mike Olson" said:

Don't shoot the messenger.  That is the WHO and the CDC numbers.  But again, you seem to not understand what IFR means.  Please educate yourself about the numbers you throw out there.

@"Mike Olson" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Mike Olson" said:

Don't shoot the messenger.  That is the WHO and the CDC numbers.  But again, you seem to not understand what IFR means.  Please educate yourself about the numbers you throw out there.
When did the flu kill 215k people in 8 months in the US? Where can you find those numbers by the CDC or the WHO? 

google.  It is available if you look rather than wait for the media to feed ya.
And I never said the flu killed 215k.  Just that you should learn the facts.  IFR and CFR are different and conflating them creates confusion.
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/...BB28DCC6E9