Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No preseason?
The cuts this year should be interesting.

But if you believe what we were hearing last summer during the Kyle Sloter debates, coaches - at least Mike Zimmer - see the preseason games as far less important than almost everything else done for season preparation. It's not a stretch to suggest that Zimmer considers it a bothersome demonstration for television that increases the risk of injury to players and an activity where he generally doesn't even want important players to participate. He has remarked that playing starters in the 3rd PS game has some benefit because it gets them ready for being in front of a live crowd and adjusting to noise...well, that's not an issue this year. So IMO this won't really make a difference to how coaches make roster decisions. The only difference is that cuts will happen and fans won't be shocked because they thought a player looked great in preseason.

Preaseason sucks.  Lets get it on 

I would think that the size of the PS Has to be enlarged.  I don’t think teams will have a good feel for the development of their draft picks, free agents etc With no preseason. They may also want to limit another teams ability to pluck someone off their PS—maybe for the first half of the season (provided we get that far).

College doesn't have preseason. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
But if you believe what we were hearing last summer during the Kyle Sloter debates, coaches - at least Mike Zimmer - see the preseason games as far less important than almost everything else done for season preparation. It's not a stretch to suggest that Zimmer considers it a bothersome demonstration for television that increases the risk of injury to players and an activity where he generally doesn't even want important players to participate. He has remarked that playing starters in the 3rd PS game has some benefit because it gets them ready for being in front of a live crowd and adjusting to noise...well, that's not an issue this year. So IMO this won't really make a difference to how coaches make roster decisions. The only difference is that cuts will happen and fans won't be shocked because they thought a player looked great in preseason.
but there has been no offseason work either,  losing preseason games is really going to hurt some guys hoping to make an impression.  Zimmer already has shown a hesitance towards rookies,  now imagine basically going into the cuts blind because these training camp reps will certainly be even more heavily weighted to the vets since their offseason prep was scratched already.

I keep coming back to I doubt they play a season anyway so as Hillary would say "what difference do is make".