Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer: Kubiak 'really, really liked' Jefferson, considered moving up
Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"minny65" said:
Not only did all the mocks have Jefferson going to the Eagles but post draft many of the analyst are dinging the Eagles for not taking him over Reagor.  I did not want any part of Reagor in the first round so I am double thrilled.
I didnt want Reagor or Mims and was afraid we would take Mims at 25. I was like BarrNone where I thought Philly was taking Jefferson when they showed him on his prior prior to the Eagles' pick. Happy it worked out the way it did
I really like Mims.  Are you saying you thought we would take him at 25 before the draft right?  Before the draft I would have loved to have Mims at 25 but Ideally with a move down to the low 30's and get him and some picks like we ended up doing for Glatney.  So I probably would have went with J Johnson (CB-Utah at 22) if no trade down and then Mims at 25 or visa versa.  Oh well, I am no expert so I am thrilled with the picks and the fact we didn't go OT.

If Philly had taken Jefferson...Mel's next best 5 available were lbs, safeties and running back.  

Thank you, Philly!

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com:

BONUS: Vikings upgrade at WR?I wouldn't be surprised if we look back after next season and say the Vikings upgraded over Stefon Diggs.
Geez! If we're saying that after Jefferson's rookie year that would be unreal! Hope it happens.

Hot takes 101.  In the age of information overload, ya gotta make wild proclamations to get noticed.
Except Diggs was a 5th Round pick that didn't have anywhere near the production Jefferson had. And he was dinged up a lot in college and more of a YAC guy than a killer route runner that was also a master of the contested catches.

Stefon had 5 Star talent out of High School but didn't develop it at Maryland for a variety of reasons (QB play, Offensive playcalling, injuries, etc.). He undeniably had farther to grow than Jefferson, a comparable but more polished product coming out of college. Who's also used to playing alongside other great Receivers.

I'm not saying it happens his Rookie year. Few kids ever match what Diggs did last season as Rookies. But Jefferson has a far shorter distance to get there than Stefon did when he entered the League. And he has Kubiak, an inarguably more accomplished OC than Diggs had when he was developing. And Adam, who's already been through the growing pains. 

By the end of Justin's 3rd season it wouldn't surprise me if he's out producing Diggs, who loves the long ball and has maybe the worst long ball thrower in the League trying to connect with him.

In the long term, it is entirely possible that it was a good upgrade over Diggs.  And hopefully without the drama.  But the hot take is that after a rookie year we would have upgraded.  That is rather silly to conceive.
The good thing I see about JJ is that he is a good route runner.  That is where Diggs and AT made their way to the top of the charts.  And partially why a Treadwell and Patterson didn't.  That separation from running a good route is what separates an NFL WR from a college standout.  The catch radius as well, being able to pull in the ball in a tight window while fully covered.  Of course that was the highlight reel, but still encouraging.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com:

BONUS: Vikings upgrade at WR?I wouldn't be surprised if we look back after next season and say the Vikings upgraded over Stefon Diggs.
Geez! If we're saying that after Jefferson's rookie year that would be unreal! Hope it happens.

Hot takes 101.  In the age of information overload, ya gotta make wild proclamations to get noticed.
Except Diggs was a 5th Round pick that didn't have anywhere near the production Jefferson had. And he was dinged up a lot in college and more of a YAC guy than a killer route runner that was also a master of the contested catches.

Stefon had 5 Star talent out of High School but didn't develop it at Maryland for a variety of reasons (QB play, Offensive playcalling, injuries, etc.). He undeniably had farther to grow than Jefferson, a comparable but more polished product coming out of college. Who's also used to playing alongside other great Receivers.

I'm not saying it happens his Rookie year. Few kids ever match what Diggs did last season as Rookies. But Jefferson has a far shorter distance to get there than Stefon did when he entered the League. And he has Kubiak, an inarguably more accomplished OC than Diggs had when he was developing. And Adam, who's already been through the growing pains. 

By the end of Justin's 3rd season it wouldn't surprise me if he's out producing Diggs, who loves the long ball and has maybe the worst long ball thrower in the League trying to connect with him.
By Justin's third season, Diggs will be on his third team.

Write it down.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
I thought Philly was going to take him so I was absolutely thrilled when he was still there and we took him.
With the Eagles on the clock, they cut over to Jefferson's home and I thought "shit, he's gone"...
Hell, Jefferson was on the phone on that cutaway.  Even the announcers thought he was talking to Philly… turns out it was us B)