Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your impression of these first rounders?
Orlovsky showed several plays in high-leverage situations where a Receiver was open past the line to gain on 3rd down and Herbert would consistently throw to a guy short of the 1st Down. He just doesn't have the killer mentality to take over and win games and I'm not sure that's something that can be learned.

If you put Love's moxie with Herbert's skillset and superior development at this point in their respective careers then I take him. Otherwise, I think Teddy 2.0 is the ceiling for Herbert. I hate this Draft for QBs after the Top 2.  Daniel Jones will be a better Pro than anyone taken after Burrow or Tua, IMO.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Orlovsky showed several plays in high-leverage situations where a Receiver was open past the line to gain on 3rd down and Herbert would consistently throw to a guy short of the 1st Down. He just doesn't have the killer mentality to take over and win games and I'm not sure that's something that can be learned.

If you put Love's moxie with Herbert's skillset and superior development at this point in their respective careers then I take him. Otherwise, I think Teddy 2.0 is the ceiling for Herbert. I hate this Draft for QBs after the Top 2.  Daniel Jones will be a better Pro than anyone taken after Burrow or Tua, IMO.
For the past couple years, I feel like I keep hearing I should watch this Herbert kid at Oregon...  every time I watched him I wasn't impressed.

He makes some nice deep throws and is pretty accurate on the move.  The problem is he struggles short and intermediate with his accuracy and just doesn't seem to have that feel for making the easy throws to extend drives.

His ceiling is a poor man's Cam Newton and his floor is Mitchell Trubisky IMO...

If Herbert plays in a Pro Bowl or signs a $63M contract, I'll eat my socks. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@FSUVike said:

For the past couple years, I feel like I keep hearing I should watch this Herbert kid at Oregon...  every time I watched him I wasn't impressed.

He makes some nice deep throws and is pretty accurate on the move.  The problem is he struggles short and intermediate with his accuracy and just doesn't seem to have that feel for making the easy throws to extend drives.

His ceiling is a poor man's Cam Newton and his floor is Mitchell Trubisky IMO...
So you're saying the Vikings front office is drooling over him then?  :p

Quote: @comet52 said:
@Wetlander said:
@FSUVike said:

So you're saying the Vikings front office is drooling over him then?  :p
I hope not...  

I watched that absurdity. Let’s forget it’s the first game of the year and against Auburn. Let’s forget game after game after game throughout the season he converts third downs under major pressure managing 11 td’s to 0 It’s against the blitz. 
Ignoring all that, Orlovsky’s second example was some sort of joke. The center corner was not high, he was even with the WR. That’s pick city all day and probably a pick six. I’m not sure what Orlovsky was snorting before that “breakdown” but it made no sense. 
His first example, had merit. It was a single play in a season, but he was right, he had that shot. He had an even better one to the left but that’s neither here nor there. Looked like he got a little happy feet there to me. 
Either way, there’s no way Orlovsky watched anything other than that first game. I watched five now and some of these things these guys are saying just aren’t on the tape. 
Herbert has plenty to work on to step up to the pro level, but his tape consists of pro level throw after pro level throw. If he slips, this is Aaron Rodgers all over again and we’d be imbeciles to pass up that kind of talent. He’ll probably go top ten though. Of course I said the same thing about Aaron Rodgers and we know how that turned out. A monster slide is always possible. 
Chris Simms QB School is the best rundown I’ve seen on Herbert. Well worth a watch. 

The best thing he did in the Bowl Game was run the ball. With a stoute Line in front of him and pockets to throw from. I just don't see it. And I don't see it with Love either. Crazy arm and had 5 throws that remind people of Mahomes and suddenly he's a 1st Round guy? 

This is not the year to gamble on a kid falling in the 1st. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
@FSUVike said:

I watched that absurdity. Let’s forget it’s the first game of the year and against Auburn. Let’s forget game after game after game throughout the season he converts third downs under major pressure managing 11 td’s to 0 It’s against the blitz. 
Ignoring all that, Orlovsky’s second example was some sort of joke. The center corner was not high, he was even with the WR. That’s pick city all day and probably a pick six. I’m not sure what Orlovsky was snorting before that “breakdown” but it made no sense. 
His first example, had merit. It was a single play in a season, but he was right, he had that shot. He had an even better one to the left but that’s neither here nor there. Looked like he got a little happy feet there to me. 
Either way, there’s no way Orlovsky watched anything other than that first game. I watched five now and some of these things these guys are saying just aren’t on the tape. 
Herbert has plenty to work on to step up to the pro level, but his tape consists of pro level throw after pro level throw. If he slips, this is Aaron Rodgers all over again and we’d be imbeciles to pass up that kind of talent. He’ll probably go top ten though. Of course I said the same thing about Aaron Rodgers and we know how that turned out. A monster slide is always possible. 
Chris Simms QB School is the best rundown I’ve seen on Herbert. Well worth a watch. 

It's starting to seem like more people agree with you than those who don't. More and more mocks popping up with Herbert going before Tua. If either of those guys is there in the teens and the Vikings don't trade up to get one I'll be bummed out. But they won't be there.