Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not funny
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I don't look at it as having massive dollars tied up at the safety position. I look at as having a roof over our back 4. What we are going to be spending in total for the starting back 4 isn't going to be out of line with the cap. Lots of lightly tested CBs. I want my...safety net.
...and you can have that. Just draft Antoine Winfield in the 2nd round. But not only do you get your safety net, you get a 3rd rounder, and you get $12M back. It's a no brainer to me...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I don't look at it as having massive dollars tied up at the safety position. I look at as having a roof over our back 4. What we are going to be spending in total for the starting back 4 isn't going to be out of line with the cap. Lots of lightly tested CBs. I want my...safety net.
...and you can have that. Just draft Antoine Winfield in the 2nd round. But not only do you get your safety net, you get a 3rd rounder, and you get $12M back. It's a no brainer to me...
And he'll get to know Sugarman really well.

@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
And he'll get to know Sugarman really well.

So draft Delpit o Dugger or Chinn...it's the same argument. Pair a high priced veteran with a promising rookie. Cap 101. 

--Best regards, Rob Brzezinski

I guess I keep forgetting I can just draft someone  to replace a high caliber safety.

I guess I keep forgetting I can just draft someone  to replace a high caliber safety.
The other piece here is that Rookies make mistakes. Even if you put Xavier McKinney back there and play Zone 65+% of the time he's going to make mistakes.

And with the limited reps Hughes, Hill and whomever the heck else is the 3rd Starting CB, they're going to need a consistent safety net. Otherwise the combination of youthful CBs and Rookie Safety are going to give up a lot of chunk plays. Which won't be good for the psyche of those young CBs.

The NFL is ever-evolving. There used to be 1 Strong Safety and 1 Free Safety. Now Safeties that can't cover are dinosaurs. There used to be Middle Linebackers that were only there to stuff the run. Now guys like Gedeon that can't cover are a dying breed.

Saying that you can't pay your starting Safeties X dollars is Old School. Smith is part LB and DE as much as he is a Safety. Harris is the ultimate eraser and TO generator on the back end.

If this team has big $$ in high-performing CBs then I get it. But as BN pointed out, they don't. And by the time they will need to pay up, and that's assuming a couple of these baby CBs pan out, Smith will be restructured or gone and Harris will be nearing a restructure as well.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
The other piece here is that Rookies make mistakes. Even if you put Xavier McKinney back there and play Zone 65+% of the time he's going to make mistakes.

And with the limited reps Hughes, Hill and whomever the heck else is the 3rd Starting CB, they're going to need a consistent safety net. Otherwise the combination of youthful CBs and Rookie Safety are going to give up a lot of chunk plays. Which won't be good for the psyche of those young CBs.

The NFL is ever-evolving. There used to be 1 Strong Safety and 1 Free Safety. Now Safeties that can't cover are dinosaurs. There used to be Middle Linebackers that were only there to stuff the run. Now guys like Gedeon that can't cover are a dying breed.

Saying that you can't pay your starting Safeties X dollars is Old School. Smith is part LB and DE as much as he is a Safety. Harris is the ultimate eraser and TO generator on the back end.

If this team has big $$ in high-performing CBs then I get it. But as BN pointed out, they don't. And by the time they will need to pay up, and that's assuming a couple of these baby CBs pan out, Smith will be restructured or gone and Harris will be nearing a restructure as well.
Nah, Seminole. :-) Worst thing we could do is put McKinney back there. Biggest bust in the draft. Yes, rookies are going to make mistakes. But I have news for you. Our defense is not going to be what wins games for us in 2020. The sooner we realize that, the better. It will be the offense. Make THAT go. Hard. 

Save the money, trade Harrison Smith (or Harris), draft Dugger or Winfield, draft Terrell...and watch this defense actually improve.