Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What constitutes success?
This is a great question and one I've thought of often.  The Vikings have been around since 1960 and have been to the Super Bowl 4 times, albeit the first one was, in todays terms, an exhibition as the Vikings won the last "NFL Championship".  The other three were for the coveted "best team".  

So do the Chicago Bears, who've been around since 1920, get labeled as mediocre since they've only won the Super Bowl once in two appearances?  Or do their 8 NFL Championships rank them up there with the other legendary winning franchises?  Or do the Baltimore Ravens surpass them with two Super Bowl wins?  Or how about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?  They've won it once in their lone appearance.  Are they "better" than the Detroit Lions with 4 NFL Championships?

I guess my answer is in a body of work by a franchise.  You can't discount the past winning seasons just because they happened to a team with a longer history than an expansion franchise that found post-season success earlier.  To be honest, I wouldn't trade my Vikings history for the Buccaneers...Lombardi or no Lombardi.  That franchise was the laughing stock for over a decade and still struggles to make the post season.  New Orleans is another that look like world beaters now but for their first 20 years of existence never sniffed a playoff game and many thought the paper bags fans routinely wore on their heads were licensed NFL merchandise.

Do I want to see the Vikes hoist a Lombardi trophy before I leave this mortal coil?  Absolutely!  But we are fortunate to not have suffered through innumerable 1-15 or 3-13 seasons like about a fourth of our NFL neighbors have had to endure. 

Skol Vikings, let's win this game!
Skol Vikings, honor your name!
Go get that first down 
Then get a touchdown 

Rock 'em ...Sock 'em  Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! 
Go Vikings, run up the score 
You'll hear us yell for more. 

V-I-K-I-N-G-S
Skol Vikings, let's go!

IMO...Success for the Vikings is sweeping the Black and Blue Division.  Beating the Packers, Bears and Lions twice and winning the division out-right.  I know a lot of Packer, Bear and Lion fans here at work.  I would take great pleasure to be able to rip those people to pieces with this...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Grant said it's entertainment, not life or death...as I've gotten older the needle is definitely moving in that direction...about 7 years ago, maybe longer, I started to be able to sleep after a loss...it's not that it's become less important, I just have a better perspective...
Same. I'm more upset about the end of football than anything. When the Vikings gets eliminated, I don't watch the rest of the season. I think I've actually watched maybe two Super Bowls in the last 30 years.

Final loss hurts for a couple hours or a couple days (depending on HOW we lose). But then I start thinking draft, free agency. I will say the closer that final loss is to the Shrine and Senior Bowl, the shorter the offseason is for me.