Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What constitutes success?
As a franchise do you set the bar at;

Winning the SB?
Making the playoffs anyway possible?
Winning the Division?

Yes, to all of the above.  B)

Obviously winning the SB isn't all that important to keep fans coming back year after year. B)

This year?  In this NFC?  I think they already are a success.  Our Oline and offense and a huge chunk of our draft picks all have been playing lights out.  Now if we could only get something going on D like we did yesterday. 

We're making the playoffs, its hard to win a road game but I think we're as capable as any NFC team in winning.  10-14 points of home cooking at Green Bay early in the season and ONE bonehead throw by Cousins is the difference between a bye and wildcard this year.

Ultimately whomever goes to the SB is going to have a dang hard time beating Baltimore.  They seem to be on another level this year. 

Its tough to quantify because there's historical aspects that are emotional. If you're a fan of something for 40+ years, you never won the ultimate prize, what does success really mean? How much does failure change you as a fan? Does it lower your expectations or are you perpetually unsatisfied if a Superbowl isn't won? Its a different kind of entertainment: one in which scores are kept, teams win or lose and you have a tournament after the regular season to determine one team that is the best that year. Only one team can win. Things that can't be controlled like injuries factor in. The NFL has endeavored hard to be a league of parity, yet Minnesota still hasn't won a Superbowl (along with many others). There is city/state pride that unites. Generations are raised to be fans of their teams. Families bond over the game. Its an event, a party, a gathering. 

Success, I guess, is personal. The more of a long-time fan you are of a franchise that has never won it all, the more you realize its a little bit more than just entertainment. Entertainment is a movie, an air show, a broadway play, a concert, etc. Football is more than that. But a loss can't be devastating, and we've all learned perspective compared to the fans we were 15-20 years ago. We understand we can't control it, so although disappointing, ultimately its just a game we follow and love. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Yes, to all of the above.  B)

Obviously winning the SB isn't all that important to keep fans coming back year after year. B)

Decade after decade...

Grant said it's entertainment, not life or death...as I've gotten older the needle is definitely moving in that direction...about 7 years ago, maybe longer, I started to be able to sleep after a loss...it's not that it's become less important, I just have a better perspective...

I'm not a fan of judging the "success" of the team based on outcomes. As BarrNone said, it's entertainment to me.  I think people should reserve judging the successfullness of things to things they are contributing towards.  I get bummed out over losses and giddy over wins, but I prefer to let it go quickly and move onto something that's more like, "What can the team do to best improve it's chances of doing well?"
My expectations for this year are making the playoffs, and maybe winning one playoff game.  Anything beyond that is gravy.  I just don't think we're at the level required to win three games on the road against playoff caliber teams.  I think there's some potential in this team to do so, but it'd be a pretty big feat.  If for some reason our defense figures out how to stop teams like we've seen in the past, that improves things a lot, but the odds are still dramatically against any wild card team getting 3 road wins.

for me it's getting to the Superbowl. Only 16 teams and we haven't been there in 44 years. Just get there!

Quote: @medaille said:
I'm not a fan of judging the "success" of the team based on outcomes. As BarrNone said, it's entertainment to me.  I think people should reserve judging the successfullness of things to things they are contributing towards.  I get bummed out over losses and giddy over wins, but I prefer to let it go quickly and move onto something that's more like, "What can the team do to best improve it's chances of doing well?"
My expectations for this year are making the playoffs, and maybe winning one playoff game.  Anything beyond that is gravy.  I just don't think we're at the level required to win three games on the road against playoff caliber teams.  I think there's some potential in this team to do so, but it'd be a pretty big feat.  If for some reason our defense figures out how to stop teams like we've seen in the past, that improves things a lot, but the odds are still dramatically against any wild card team getting 3 road wins.
Agreed.  The entertainment is where it is at.  I have enjoyed this year, the offense is making noise, if the defense can find its way back to dominance it could be a fun playoffs. 

Success is beating the packers.  making the playoffs and winning playoff games.  Nothing will sully the Minneapolis Miracle.  Not even losing big in Philly the following week.  Revenge on the Saints and actually being on the right side of a dramatic win was an experience I will always remember.

This year has been a success so far, especially after how it started.  Of course a SB championship is the ultimate goal.  Will they ever get one, I sure as hell hope so.