Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cook and Mattison have become the league’s most explosive RB duo
Quote: @"A1Janitor" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
The million dollar question becomes do you pay Cook to stay when his contract is up or do you roll with Mattison as your back and draft a replacement. 
You trade him to Dallas for a few first round picks, a starting OL and maybe a cornerback.  

A little revenge trade for when we gave Dallas an entire starting team for H. Walker - I like it.  B)

Perfect marriage of scheme and skill...

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
The Mattison pick was almost universally panned in post-Draft stories. How you like dem apples? 

100 carries, 462 yards and a TD. The Vikings have to be ecstatic over this kind of production in a limited rookie role. 
Not in my universe.

Smile

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
Cook's injury history is somewhat concerning.  But if he's healthy, there's none better, IMHO.
I can't believe you're the only person to say this, and Cook was discussed this afternoon on 1500 as a likely candidate for a new contract this offseason, again without mention of his injury history.
He missed most of 2017, was hampered through most of 2018, and now he's hurt again - he's been averaging under 4 ypc since week 8 and very pedestrian since the Dallas game. Todd Gurley, David Johnson, Devonta Freeman - 3 RBs given huge contracts now diminished by injury and killing their teams' salary caps.

Cook has done great this year - but use him up and move on. Isn't it a feature of the Kubiak blocking system that you can plug in above-average RBs and still get production?

right cooks injury history makes me take a step back and really think about how much of the teams cap you want to use on him 

They're both 3-down backs that can block. 

Uncommon and difficult to defend. 

When they bash defenses in the 4th quarter. it's fun to watch.

Mattison brings a load.  He's no fun for LBs who are the same size to tackle.  I shamefully really like Seattle's duo, as well.

Quote: @"kahsmick" said:
Mattison brings a load.  He's no fun for LBs who are the same size to tackle.  I shamefully really like Seattle's duo, as well.
I know a better one. We'll see them this Sunday. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
The Mattison pick was almost universally panned in post-Draft stories. How you like dem apples? 

100 carries, 462 yards and a TD. The Vikings have to be ecstatic over this kind of production in a limited rookie role. 
And rightfully so at the time. The near-universal consensus was that he would be available well into the 4th Round.

Minnesota traded down in the 3rd a bunch of times to pick a guy that would have been available the next day anyway. 

When analyzing the Draft right after it's over the ONLY thing you can do is look at consensus rankings and projections versus where the player was taken.

Really, post-Draft grades are a complete crapshoot because nobody knows how that 7th Round chubby QB from Michigan will pan out. What, he went on to win 6 Superbowls?

But we want some validation as fans that our team did a good job and we want it the second the Draft ends. So you get grades that are only able to operate based on projections. 

That's why I enjoy the Re-Drafts so much. Diggs goes from 5th to 1st Round. Hunter from 3rd to maybe overall #1 pick. Mattison is proving he should have gone in the 2nd already.

But it's not fair to use hindsight to criticize a fundamentally flawed grading system IMO.