Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cook and Mattison have become the league’s most explosive RB duo
The story of the year for the Vikings is that they have become one of the best offenses in the NFL and that starts with an offensive scheme that begins with opponents fearing explosive plays out of the backfield. And as games have worn on, the Vikings have taken advantage of the fact that they have a strong No. 2 back who is among league leaders in yards after contact. The change-of-pace in the Vikings’ case is trucking opponents after they have been run down over the first three quarters — and that is proving to be an effective strategy
https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019...ve-rb-duo/

The Mattison pick was almost universally panned in post-Draft stories. How you like dem apples? 

100 carries, 462 yards and a TD. The Vikings have to be ecstatic over this kind of production in a limited rookie role. 

Mattison would be a starter on many teams.  

Boone has some serious hops too.  Like to see him more than Abdullah as a change of pace.

The million dollar question becomes do you pay Cook to stay when his contract is up or do you roll with Mattison as your back and draft a replacement. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
The million dollar question becomes do you pay Cook to stay when his contract is up or do you roll with Mattison as your back and draft a replacement. 
You trade him to Dallas for a few first round picks, a starting OL and maybe a cornerback.  

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
I pay him. Mattison is good, but Dalvin is special. The salary puzzle will look a lot different then. I maybe trade Mattison and promote Boone. Considering where Dalvin and Alexander will be in terms of salary outlook, you could almost get as much for Mattison. Teams love (and will pay for) young players who aren't due to make money for a couple of years and has the perceived upside of a player behind another player. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
I pay him. Mattison is good, but Dalvin is special. The salary puzzle will look a lot different then. I maybe trade Mattison and promote Boone. Considering where Dalvin and Alexander will be in terms of salary outlook, you could almost get as much for Mattison. Teams love (and will pay for) young players who aren't due to make money for a couple of years and has the perceived upside of a player behind another player. 
But what’s Mattison worth?  I’d rather have Mattison than an unproven draft pick. 

Cook's injury history is somewhat concerning.  But if he's healthy, there's none better, IMHO.

No clue. But we'll have a better idea next season when we have to make a decision. Generally, backs aren't worth as much as other positions, especially when you consider how many late round and undrafted runners are making an impact in the NFL. We'll see a another one this weekend in Austin Ekeler. And you don't replace Mattison with an unproven draft pick, you replace him with Mike Boone.

Look, I don't want to get rid of Mattison any more than anyone else. Just think if you're going to trade someone, it's him not Dalvin.