Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salary cap
Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
i started playing with numbers the other day and cleared quite a bit of space,  but in order to get the most out of the cuts that many are proposing we would have to make them June 1st cuts and that doesnt give us the cap space to use to go after the better pool of free agents... about all that money would help with is signing rookies and some veteran depth from the rest of the post June first cuts.

I also dont expect them to cut guys like Rudy who are having a solid year,  I expect another renegotiate so we wont see those full cap savings as some want to pencil in,  but that is one less hole to fill as well.

seriously though,  head over that "over the cap" site and play with the Vikings cap for next year.  its not nearly as peachy as some want to believe nor not as healthy as were are told the previous year.... its always wait until next year and then we go shopping.... and then next year its cap crunch once again.
If we cut Linval, Griffen, and Reiff this offseason we would free up around 32 million in cap space.  If we designated them as post-June 1 cuts, we could gain an additional 3.8 million. 

So no, we don't need to wait until after June 1 to make some serious cap space available...  and frankly, if we can free up 32 million, it doesn't really pay to wait to free up that space to gain a little extra.  Ideally, we restructure some of these contracts to free up some space and allow us to keep Harris and one of Mac or Waynes without creating additional holes. 

If we can do that, we currently have 7 draft picks and potentially 4 more compensatory picks coming our way (3rd and three 7ths). The Vikings could have as many as 11 picks in the 2020 draft and have always been active in the UDFA market.  I don't think we'll have a problem filling out our roster.  
It will remain a very competitive roster. The blow it up and start over folks are overreacting. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
i started playing with numbers the other day and cleared quite a bit of space,  but in order to get the most out of the cuts that many are proposing we would have to make them June 1st cuts and that doesnt give us the cap space to use to go after the better pool of free agents... about all that money would help with is signing rookies and some veteran depth from the rest of the post June first cuts.

I also dont expect them to cut guys like Rudy who are having a solid year,  I expect another renegotiate so we wont see those full cap savings as some want to pencil in,  but that is one less hole to fill as well.

seriously though,  head over that "over the cap" site and play with the Vikings cap for next year.  its not nearly as peachy as some want to believe nor not as healthy as were are told the previous year.... its always wait until next year and then we go shopping.... and then next year its cap crunch once again.
If we cut Linval, Griffen, and Reiff this offseason we would free up around 32 million in cap space.  If we designated them as post-June 1 cuts, we could gain an additional 3.8 million. 

So no, we don't need to wait until after June 1 to make some serious cap space available...  and frankly, if we can free up 32 million, it doesn't really pay to wait to free up that space to gain a little extra.  Ideally, we restructure some of these contracts to free up some space and allow us to keep Harris and one of Mac or Waynes without creating additional holes. 

If we can do that, we currently have 7 draft picks and potentially 4 more compensatory picks coming our way (3rd and three 7ths). The Vikings could have as many as 11 picks in the 2020 draft and have always been active in the UDFA market.  I don't think we'll have a problem filling out our roster.  
so you are up to about 29 million in cap space,  leave about 4 million or so for rookies,  now go resign the guys you want to  (at realistic numbers)  lets get Kirk under a new realistic deal,  and then fill the holes you created at DT and LT through FA,  because those are positions that are to critical to assume we can fill them from the roster or the draft.     show me how this team stays competitive with the cap space you created.  I havent seen many rookies come in an play worth a shit under Zimmer so I really cant count on a rookie, especially since we have no idea who will be available when we draft in terms of filling a need for this year.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

so you are up to about 29 million in cap space,  leave about 4 million or so for rookies,  now go resign the guys you want to  (at realistic numbers)  lets get Kirk under a new realistic deal,  and then fill the holes you created at DT and LT through FA,  because those are positions that are to critical to assume we can fill them from the roster or the draft.     show me how this team stays competitive with the cap space you created.  I havent seen many rookies come in an play worth a shit under Zimmer so I really cant count on a rookie, especially since we have no idea who will be available when we draft in terms of filling a need for this year.
I think recent rookies have been more immediate impacts then we've seen under Zimmer. I agree if we clean up some existing contracts we can stay level. Hard to see us improving talent pool much. $25 million doesn't go very far by NFL standards.