Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salary cap

With a couple of strategic releases... and re-structuring/re-signing Cousins... and this increased Cap: we could/should be OK for the foreseeable future.

Unreal how profitable the NFL is for ownership.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
With a couple of strategic releases... and re-structuring/re-signing Cousins... and this increased Cap: we could/should be OK for the foreseeable future.
Go to over the cap and play with the Vikings cap numbers.  The team isnt OK if you look realistically at trying to fill the holes that need filling without kicking the can down the road and just making a mess for future years.  We have a lot of players of our  own to resign as well as replacing those guys that everybody wants to cut,  or areas that need improvement.

IIRC the team is going to be about 4 million over the cap just to start the year and that's with about 1.5 million rolling over from this year.

Cousins is set to make 31 this year,  I doubt he signs for less than that on average and will want at least that much this year,  I dont see his next contract being the big cap savings that some want to think it will be.  Maybe I'm wrong but his past comments suggest he is all business when it comes to his pay.

I wouldn't use the past as a predictor of Cousins future decisions.  He absolutely did not want to be in Washington. That's why he played hardball with them. as someone who says he loves his family, I don't imagine that Cousins will put money as a higher priority than his family's happiness.  And he says that he likes it here.

Cousins and his wife love Minnesota. I think they'd be overjoyed to get another contract. The way he has played this year I'm sure there's been internal preliminary talks about it. What ends up happening, I have no idea. 

Here's all I know: next Spring's draft is the perfect time to draft a raw, talented QB that can just SIT for 2 years min. I'd love to see how that would impact a kid's success, having that time to learn in a low-stress environment. Teams talk about wanting to do that, but get rushed into playing a guy sooner than they want. I think it can be detrimental, especially to the more raw players.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"pumpf" said:
Go to over the cap and play with the Vikings cap numbers.  The team isnt OK if you look realistically at trying to fill the holes that need filling without kicking the can down the road and just making a mess for future years.  We have a lot of players of our  own to resign as well as replacing those guys that everybody wants to cut,  or areas that need improvement.

IIRC the team is going to be about 4 million over the cap just to start the year and that's with about 1.5 million rolling over from this year.

Cousins is set to make 31 this year,  I doubt he signs for less than that on average and will want at least that much this year,  I dont see his next contract being the big cap savings that some want to think it will be.  Maybe I'm wrong but his past comments suggest he is all business when it comes to his pay.
I'm with Pumpf on this one. There are several places we can save money if we choose to. There are several aging players who are making very big money but not playing up to it: Rhodes, Waynes, Joseph, Reiff. A couple others who are expensive and aging but playing well in Harry, Griffen and Rudy. Sure, we have to sign Ant Harris and we have to replace the players we cut. But there is definitely flexibility. Say the cap does go up $12M like they're saying, and all we do is release Rhodes. Just doing THAT gives the team $25M more.

And I've said this before, but I think what Cousins wants more than anything else is stability. Commitment. To be loved. You give him a 5 year deal, let him finish his career in Minnesota, he might just take less per year. Or the same per year...which would be less in comparison to the cap. See, that's what people don't get. It's just the way the NFL works. People get all worked about contracts and in a year or two, it's seen as peanuts. For example, when Cousins signed his deal, it was thought to be crazy by a lot of people. In terms of total value, it now ranks 14th. In terms of average per year and guaranteed money, it's now 7th. 

I trust Brez and the cap arm of the Vikings org more than the coaches lol! 

I know there's still doubters (even haters) out there.

IMO KC has earned above average pay for a QB and given what we've seen from league QB's (outside of maybe 5 others) I'm glad to have him on the team and pay him well too. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Cousins and his wife love Minnesota. I think they'd be overjoyed to get another contract. The way he has played this year I'm sure there's been internal preliminary talks about it. What ends up happening, I have no idea. 

Here's all I know: next Spring's draft is the perfect time to draft a raw, talented QB that can just SIT for 2 years min. I'd love to see how that would impact a kid's success, having that time to learn in a low-stress environment. Teams talk about wanting to do that, but get rushed into playing a guy sooner than they want. I think it can be detrimental, especially to the more raw players.

If Cousins is destine to finish his career here you don't draft a QB with a high pick when we have some holes that are going to open up because of the cap.  We'll need to replace those holes with new players. 

Good coaches/GMs can do it, bad ones can't and get fired. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

If Cousins is destine to finish his career here you don't draft a QB with a high pick when we have some holes that are going to open up because of the cap.  We'll need to replace those holes with new players. 

Good coaches/GMs can do it, bad ones can't and get fired. 
Didn't say high pick, but round 3-5 makes a ton of sense.