Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So why is Kevin Stefanski not getting much credit?
I think the Vikings as a whole are flying under the radar a
little bit.  We had 2 high profile
losses, the Kirk drama, and then played some teams that are struggling a
bit.  We’re also in flyover country, so
we have to be noticeably more exciting to get the same coverage.  Also with our offensive brain trust, it’s
kind of hard to separate Kubiak from Stefanski, and I think that’s to our
benefit in keeping them both for a year or two longer.  I think if we win this week we’ll get some
more press love so they can hype up the Vikes Chiefs game, especially if
Mahomes is coming back or on the fence. 
Also from a story standpoint, I’ve been watching a lot of the 49er
stories and so much of what they’re doing on offense mirrors what we’re doing,
so it’s kind of a duplicate story.

Quote: @comet52 said:
Someone will hire him after the year as a HC because hiring "hot" coordinators is the only concept most NFL g.m.'s have in their little heads when it comes to picking a new coach.   Never mind Kubiak looking over his shoulder/helping and all the skill talent he's got here along with a defense that compliments the offense, someone will decide it's all Stefanski and make him a head guy even though he is still very green.   

And while he's off taking his lumps somewhere, Kubiak will be our new OC and he'll be happy to be there as long as Zim is there and wants him to be because he has no desire to be a HC again.
It'll be interesting to see how long Zimm hangs out in Eagan vs just going to Kentucky and relaxing...He's not a spring chicken anymore and the NFL HC gig is brutal.

I think this year will go a long way to determine that. 

I could see a scenario where Kubiak stays on, maybe a HC once more?

KS could use a little more curating? ?Not sure if he's ready for HC..That said young coordinators are having success. KS has been here a long time and learning along the way. 

Wouldn't surprise me if the Wilfs stayed internal with him in a post Zimm world. Lots of chapters still to unfold this year though. 

The Vikings have had 3 creative and special offensive coordinators in their history. Just my opinion from watching them since day one. Jerry Burns, Brian Billick, and Pat Shurmur. The past 3 games, Stefanski has had those same characteristics those guys displayed. Creative game plans, unpredictability, utilization of assets and mismatches, and calling plays to his players strengths to exploit opponents weaknesses.
If he continues to do this the rest of the season, he will be considered a hot head coaching commodity and get a lot of national press.
But it's only been three games and he needs to show what he can do against top ranked defenses first. What happens against the Bears next time? How about on the road against Dallas and Seattle, or Green Bay at home?
Start winning those games and he will get plenty of attention.
Personally, I'm sold on him now. He has been calling great games lately.
BTW, I'm guessing we will see a little more running tonight against the Skins.

I am fine with the buzz not being there.  Lets continue winning, let the media worry about NE and SF and KC and LAR.  Maybe we can keep a good OC for a couple of years.

Quote: @greediron said:
I am fine with the buzz not being there.  Lets continue winning, let the media worry about NE and SF and KC and LAR.  Maybe we can keep a good OC for a couple of years.

This is my feeling too. Either he continues doing well and gets hired away after this season, or he tanks and gets fired. Either way, going off recent history he will not be with us next season. So I'm trying not to get attached.
"But this time it's different!" Yeah... maybe...

Honestly, much like Paton, I think Stef is here long term...isn't he in his twelfth year? Might already have a succession plan in place for two of the most critical positions...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@comet52 said:
Someone will hire him after the year as a HC because hiring "hot" coordinators is the only concept most NFL g.m.'s have in their little heads when it comes to picking a new coach.   Never mind Kubiak looking over his shoulder/helping and all the skill talent he's got here along with a defense that compliments the offense, someone will decide it's all Stefanski and make him a head guy even though he is still very green.   

And while he's off taking his lumps somewhere, Kubiak will be our new OC and he'll be happy to be there as long as Zim is there and wants him to be because he has no desire to be a HC again.
It'll be interesting to see how long Zimm hangs out in Eagan vs just going to Kentucky and relaxing...He's not a spring chicken anymore and the NFL HC gig is brutal.

I think this year will go a long way to determine that. 

I could see a scenario where Kubiak stays on, maybe a HC once more?

KS could use a little more curating? ?Not sure if he's ready for HC..That said young coordinators are having success. KS has been here a long time and learning along the way. 

Wouldn't surprise me if the Wilfs stayed internal with him in a post Zimm world. Lots of chapters still to unfold this year though. 

In an interview earlier this year I recall Zim saying he wants to keep coaching for a long time because it's what he loves.   Kubiak has flat stated he doesn't want a HC job because the strain in Denver nearly killed him.  He had real health issues.  But he also loves the game and wants to be around it.   It's a good marriage imho.    I see no scenario where Kubiak takes a HC job but strange things do sometimes happen in this world.

I really believe they are grooming Stefanski to replace Zimmer.  Not sure exactly when it'll happen I think it will.

If ya google and look up Kubiak's resume you'll notice he tends to improve each team he goes to. 

Stefanski is definitely  a part of the Vikings improvement.

My guess is when it comes down to how to attack opponents it's the experience and guidance of Kubiak (and the coaches he brought with him) that is the  giving  Stefanski the insight to succeed.