Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just How Good Is Alexander Mattison?
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
So good he could cost Cook $$ at the negotiating table... =)

Big upgrade from Murray and compliment to Cook. 

Looks starter quality to me. 
I'm taking a gamble this week in my FFL. Mattison is one of my flex players. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I don't know if there's anyone on this board who follows the draft more than I do and Mattison was not at all on my radar. You really have to hand it to Spielman and the Vikings scouting staff on this one. They seem to be in a groove right now. 

Was listening to Denver radio the other day bemoaning Denver's recent draft classes. I know they've been bad, but to hear them go over player after player, bust after bust after bust after bust. High draft picks being replaced by street free agents because they just can't play. 

Too many around here do not sufficiently appreciate how well this team has drafted compared to the rest of the NFL. Barr, Waynes, Kendricks, Alexander, Hunter, Diggs, Cook, Hughes, O'Neill...it really is extraordinary.

And last year, when bad drafting teams like Denver take Noah Fant in the 1st round, good drafting teams like the Vikings take Irv Smith Jr in the 2nd...and Bradbury....and Mattison. 
Hughes and O'Neill were recently reasons to "fire Rick".  Until they saw the field. 

Yeah, it is nice bitching about the nitpicky stuff, not the high round busts year after year.

I don't know if there's anyone on this board who follows the draft more than I do and Mattison was not at all on my radar. You really have to hand it to Spielman and the Vikings scouting staff on this one. They seem to be in a groove right now. 

All my evidence is kind of circumstantial but I think Kubiak had a lot to do with the Vikings selecting  Mattison.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

All my evidence is kind of circumstantial but I think Kubiak had a lot to do with the Vikings selecting  Mattison.

No doubt. Bradbury too. It's a good thing when you have a coach who has been able to take the last couple years off and do nothing by scout college football games.

But don't forget that Spielman is in charge. He makes all the picks. It's not a given in this league to have a GM willing to listen to his coaching staff. He listened to Zimmer and we've built the most talented defense this team has ever seen. We never had that sort of direction for the offense. Until Kubiak.

It was only a few weeks ago when folks wanted everyone gone. Personally, I'd love to keep those three together for years.  

Mattison was someone I panned while looking at runners.
When Jacobs leapt up Daniel Jeremiah's draft board I briefly wondered what separated him above Mattison.  He's a little thicker, but Mattison is smooth out of the backfield like a receiver.
I'm pretty sure Kubiak was eyeing his ball skills as a plus factor.

IIRC the team dropped back twice before taking him with a comp pick?

It was hard to watch all the players I mocked going off the board that round.  

Yes.  The Drafting HAD to get better, and it has been for 5-6 years now, including The Bridgewater pick.

You can grouse over Patterson and Bradford, but I could match your complaint against pretty much any other team in terms of missing the mark.

The other thing that has been stellar is UDFA development.  Its no longer the crapshoot it used to be when Theilen was a rookie prospect.
I consider them lucky to have held on to him.

@"Mattyman" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

It was only a few weeks ago when folks wanted everyone gone. Personally, I'd love to keep those three together for years.  

I don't see why it can't be possible   a new Asst HC, New Oline Coach, New ST Coach, New QB coach  are starting to coach up and improve their players.

Maybe when the Vikings overhaul 2/3 of the coaching staff,  it might be a good idea to wait more than 4 weeks to arrive at conclusions.

I'm just glad that the Vikings are competitive and that they beat a divisional opponent on the road  and didn't turn the ball over. 

Progress!!!!!! 

Quote: @"kahsmick" said:

IIRC the team dropped back twice before taking him with a comp pick?
Rick traded back 4 times :o :

81 to 88 to 92 to 93 to 102.  Whew!

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
So good he could cost Cook $$ at the negotiating table... =)

Big upgrade from Murray and compliment to Cook. 

Looks starter quality to me. 
I'm taking a gamble this week in my FFL. Mattison is one of my flex players. 

He didn't help me last week, but what the heck...he's staying in my flex spot against the Redskins.

PS...Having Dalvin also helps! Wink

I would like to see both of them on the field at the same time to really confuse the defense. I like Ham, but the additional flexibility of having Cook and Mattison in the backfield together would be fun to watch.