Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just How Good Is Alexander Mattison?
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/10/18...ta-vikings

Really good.
  • Mattison’s Elusive Rating [(Missed Tackles Forced) / (Designed Run Attempts + Receptions) * (Yards After Contact Per Attempt * 100)] is 3rd behind Jacobs and Tony Pollard.
  • Mattison also leads the draft class in Breakaway % (% of yards from big plays- rushes of 15+ yards) at 52.4%.
  • Mattison’s yards after contact (3.38) is only behind Jacobs and Pollard as well.
  • Mattison is also tied with Josh Jacobs for most rushes over 10 yards (11), despite having just over half as many attempts.
This last point really jumps out.

So good he could cost Cook $$ at the negotiating table... =)

Big upgrade from Murray and compliment to Cook. 

Looks starter quality to me. 

Mattison hits the line running hard.  At times, I can't tell the difference between him and Cook.  The kid has some power, is a good receiver, and he doesn't go down easy.
Nobody is missing Murray.

I'm glad it's just not me that has a hard time distinguishing the two...Cook has that burst and top end that makes him special...he's the type of talent that needs to be accounted for...

But if we had to roll with Mattison as the feature back, I could live with that. Hopefully we don't have to as I want to see Cook get a second contract.  I think we should get AntMan™ taken care of next, but after that, I think the earlier you extend Cook the less he'll cost. 

If we move on from Rhodes, redo or move on from Reiff, find a cap friendly way to keep Grif, I think we could find $$ for Cook.

No doubt we could roll will Mattison if Cook were out for some time. I'll say this also: Mattison has had some holes, too....and I'm not taking anything away from him. On his 10+ yard runs, look at what kind of lanes he had. 

Mack truck drivable holes...

But the thing that stood out from college, and what we are seeing here, is that ability to get passed the early penetration (phrasing) and hit the edge...regardless, love the way he runs...

I don't know if there's anyone on this board who follows the draft more than I do and Mattison was not at all on my radar. You really have to hand it to Spielman and the Vikings scouting staff on this one. They seem to be in a groove right now. 

Was listening to Denver radio the other day bemoaning Denver's recent draft classes. I know they've been bad, but to hear them go over player after player, bust after bust after bust after bust. High draft picks being replaced by street free agents because they just can't play. 

Too many around here do not sufficiently appreciate how well this team has drafted compared to the rest of the NFL. Barr, Waynes, Kendricks, Alexander, Hunter, Diggs, Cook, Hughes, O'Neill...it really is extraordinary.

And last year, when bad drafting teams like Denver take Noah Fant in the 1st round, good drafting teams like the Vikings take Irv Smith Jr in the 2nd...and Bradbury....and Mattison. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I don't know if there's anyone on this board who follows the draft more than I do and Mattison was not at all on my radar. You really have to hand it to Spielman and the Vikings scouting staff on this one. They seem to be in a groove right now. 

Was listening to Denver radio the other day bemoaning Denver's recent draft classes. I know they've been bad, but to hear them go over player after player, bust after bust after bust after bust. High draft picks being replaced by street free agents because they just can't play. 

Too many around here do not sufficiently appreciate how well this team has drafted compared to the rest of the NFL. Barr, Waynes, Kendricks, Alexander, Hunter, Diggs, Cook, Hughes, O'Neill...it really is extraordinary.

And last year, when bad drafting teams like Denver take Noah Fant in the 1st round, good drafting teams like the Vikings take Irv Smith Jr in the 2nd...and Bradbury....and Mattison. 
Fire Spielman!

not bad for a third rounder

I bet he has a big day tomorrow. Big day

8 carries 70 yards 1 TD