Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings defense
Quote: @FSUVike said:
Bend but don't Break works for the Cheatriots because of the GOAT.  The other 2 Defenses on that list are attacking. Getting TO's and 3 & Outs.

I have nothing against Bend but don't Break. SeaHags are good at it too. But you need the Offense we saw yesterday  to compliment it. The Offense we've seen on the Road this year against good teams ain't gonna cut it w/ a BNB Defense. Need more momentum and field position shifts.

Again, not critical of the style, just needs the Offense to play the same way it did yesterday against legit Playoff Contenders.
Is it really a "bend but don't break" defense?  The Vikings are 4th in total yards allowed (292 ypg)...  5th in pass defense (204 ypg)...  9th in rush defense (88 ypg)...  and 4th in points allowed (14.6 ppg).  We are also top 10 in 3rd down defense at 34%.

The defense is still dominant.  You can argue they should get more turnovers, but that's about the only valid argument against this defense.

I wouldn’t call it a bend but don’t break defense, but I
would call it more conservative and less risky. 
Less going for explosive stops and TOs, that might lead to big plays.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@FSUVike said:
Bend but don't Break works for the Cheatriots because of the GOAT.  The other 2 Defenses on that list are attacking. Getting TO's and 3 & Outs.

I have nothing against Bend but don't Break. SeaHags are good at it too. But you need the Offense we saw yesterday  to compliment it. The Offense we've seen on the Road this year against good teams ain't gonna cut it w/ a BNB Defense. Need more momentum and field position shifts.

Again, not critical of the style, just needs the Offense to play the same way it did yesterday against legit Playoff Contenders.
Is it really a "bend but don't break" defense?  The Vikings are 4th in total yards allowed (292 ypg)...  5th in pass defense (204 ypg)...  9th in rush defense (88 ypg)...  and 4th in points allowed (14.6 ppg).  We are also top 10 in 3rd down defense at 34%.

The defense is still dominant.  You can argue they should get more turnovers, but that's about the only valid argument against this defense.
Yes, I don't see the bend but don't break.  I see a fundamentally sound D that doesn't get out of position looking for glory, but takes the shot when it is there.  Like Barr this weekend (where are all the Barr detractors this year) made a great play on the safety and then on the INT.  He recognized the play from the film and knew where it was coming. 

Yes we don't have the flash, but we are a top end defense. 

interesting tidbit on the grading of the great bear defense
https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-...erformance
Even with a backup quarterback, the Bears were favored in this
matchup because of their defense. Chicago is thought to have the best
defensive unit in the league, but they allowed the Raiders to score the
first 17 points of the game. Wimpy arm tackles and inconsistent pressure
marred this performance. Chase Daniel was decent, and Allen Robinson
had a breakout game, but the main takeaway for Chicago in this one is
that the Raiders marched 97 yards down the field on 13 plays for a
game-winning score.

So maybe they were a bit hyped up for the Vikings game and then came out flat after traveling?  Nah, we don't allow excuses like that around here.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@FSUVike said:

How about Time of Possession? What happened that made the Historically Great 3rd Down Defense now just a TOP 10 one?

Look, Roster Construction is my passion. And there's an effing ton of capital on that side of the ball. 

Is it wrong to want to see Game-Changing plays like TO's or 3 & Outs that Flip the Field?

Apparently....

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@Wetlander said:
@FSUVike said:

How about Time of Possession? What happened that made the Historically Great 3rd Down Defense now just a TOP 10 one?

Look, Roster Construction is my passion. And there's an effing ton of capital on that side of the ball. 

Is it wrong to want to see Game-Changing plays like TO's or 3 & Outs that Flip the Field?

Apparently....
The Vikings led the league in 3rd down % last season at just over 30%...  We're only 5 (or 4 for a couple teams) games into the season and we're at 34%.  I think the Vikings will be at or near the top in this category come seasons end.

Just like our 9th ranked run defense...  Typically if you're allowing less than 90 rushing yards per game, you're top 3-5 easy...  Too small of a sample size at this point.

We are 8th with 35%

Pats are 1st with 13%

That's right, 13%

Barr became only the 3rd player in NFL history to record both a safety & an interception in the same game!!!

The defensive stat that stands out to me (and really irks me) is this:

14 plays, 75 yards, 7 points, 7:16 time of possession

Chicago's first drive starting with Trubisky and finishing with Daniels.

Zimmers vaunted defense had no plan, no fire, no heart on that drive.
I believe if the defense had a 3 and out on the first drive, or even 3 and out after the quarterback switch, that game would have a different outcome