Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings defense
Looking at the league only 3 teams(who have played 5 games) have given up less points than the Vikings 73:
Patriots 34
Bears 69
Bills 70

That's a good reminder...

I watch this D and I dont say to myself that's a stifling, ball-hawking, dominating D. But then they're usually right there - at the top 5 of the most important statistics.

Zimm had a more aggressive game-plan yesterday - probably to rattle/confuse a rook qb. I'd like to see it more often. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

I watch this D and I dont say to myself that's a stifling, ball-hawking, dominating D. But then they're usually right there - at the top 5 of the most important statistics.

Zimm had a more aggressive game-plan yesterday - probably to rattle/confuse a rook qb. I'd like to see it more often. 

I'd like to see more ball hawking myself.  I saw several games this week where the D literally took the ball away or punched it out of the offensive players hands.  We need more of that attitude.

I liked the defense on the safety.

Crowd that line and bring everyone FAST. If the offense can get the ball past the line of scrimmage you can really hurt a defense but it's got to be real hard to do anything with the whole team charging at you.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

I think that's just a lack of objectivity. No offense to you, PF, because we all do it, myself included. Couple years ago I would get so frustrated when we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Man, I hate that. But that year we weren't just the best in the NFL on 3rd downs, we were something like the best in 40 years. So....something to consider....

You see the same sort of thing in people evaluating Rick Spielman. God, he missed on Ponder and Treadwell! He's awful! Fire him!

....until you look around the NFL and see who they've been drafting. By comparison, the Vikings have had exceptionally good drafts. Like top 5 good for the last several years. 

The D is crazy good. don't remember all the stats, but they have been dominant this year.
It was mildly frustrating to watch the DBs giving a cushion to the WRs yesterday.  But as we were lamenting it, I brought up the fact that it is better to play zone against a run threat QB.  So like in Chicago, we were playing off to keep the mobile QB from killing us with his feet.
Best thing about Zimmer is that he is able to adjust.  We don't just run the cover 2 and hope for the best.  He actually has a plan and more often than not, it is a damn good one.

Hopefully they can beat a good team on the road sometime with this defense. 

Bend but don't Break works for the Cheatriots because of the GOAT.  The other 2 Defenses on that list are attacking. Getting TO's and 3 & Outs.

I have nothing against Bend but don't Break. SeaHags are good at it too. But you need the Offense we saw yesterday  to compliment it. The Offense we've seen on the Road this year against good teams ain't gonna cut it w/ a BNB Defense. Need more momentum and field position shifts.

Again, not critical of the style, just needs the Offense to play the same way it did yesterday against legit Playoff Contenders.

I like seeing them fired up. Smith screaming on the sidelines knowing he should have had that interception was a good thing to see. The safety was great as well. They know they can do better. I love the karate kicks too. 

When Harrison almost made that beautiful interception at the sideline, he was shown on TV getting up yelling "AAWWWWW!!!!!...........FUCK!!!!!!!!!!"