Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waynes
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
so you are moving Easton and or Collins to the right side where they have never played and assuming one of them will work out.   Easton is still a FA so its hard to figure him into any scenario until they sign him which then puts the pressure back on the draft to find 2 starters.   I dont consider moving players to new positions as a fix for a lack of a starter at those positions since there is zero proof that they will make the moves.. essentially under your scenario I think it add more pressure to the problem since we go to only one player in a position that they have any experience which increases the fail rate substantially IMO.... to many failed moves from left to right,  or from tackle to guard for me to have any faith in that plan at all any more.

I don't see it that way. By moving O'Neal to the LT spot and Reiff to the RG spot, that gives you the fix for the whole left side of the line. Your LT, LG, and C are all set in stone.
You get the first pick of the draft correct and hit on that lineman, then you have one position that you can find either on your squad or in FA. You hit on a RT and you have your options with Easton, which I am expecting to resign, and a young guy.  
you are Hoping that ONeill can play on the left side and Hoping that Rieff can kick inside at OG,  Hoping that Easton (or other)  is able to go to the right side and come back from his injury,  and then hoping that we can get a day 1 starting RT in the draft.... thats a lot of hope... and like marky mark says "Hope is not a tactic".   Sorry bud,  I just see to many moving parts for this plan to be successful.

From what I saw out of O'Neil last year he can play LT and has the athleticism to do so. Proved he had fluid feet as well. He looks to be able to play the position.
Reiff was a very good G in college and I don't have a hope for him, I have an expectation to live up to his money and what he has already proven he can do at G.
My solution is very promising and can get you a line to be able to compete.

@"pumpf" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"Viking1987" said:
i think we  will come out of  the  draft  with  two  starting   off linemen

You really only have to come out of it with one starter in the sense that you will move O'Neill over to LT and move Reiff to LG. If you can hit on just one lineman early... That gives you essentially an all new line.
how does moving 2 starters to new positions eliminate the need for 1 new starter?  

Moving O'Neill to the LT spot allows us to fix the LG spot as you would move Reiff over. That fixes your LG spot and (assuming you resign) you can move Easton to RG. You will draft a G/T in the first round, and if you hit, you have your RG or RT fixed as well.
We really only need one new starter out of the draft as you have a RT and RG if need be in Collins and Easton/Jones (assuming we resign one of them
Now you want to move 3 guys around?  I don't like it...
I agree,  if the goal is to move ONeill to LT,  then draft a RT this year to battle ONeill and if he is able to hold down the spot then let ONeill compete with Reiff at LT... or draft a LT to compete with Reiff for now and leave ONeill at RT... otherwise leave them both alone and look to improve the interior OL play since we really werent hurt often by Reiff or ONeill last year except that we had to keep pushing Reiff out there when he was hurt because there was no quality players behind him to let him recover.

Then I have a feeling many are going to be upset with the changes as I feel what my plan is will very much happen. They already went to Reiff in the exit meeting about moving him to G.

Quote: @"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
so you are moving Easton and or Collins to the right side where they have never played and assuming one of them will work out.   Easton is still a FA so its hard to figure him into any scenario until they sign him which then puts the pressure back on the draft to find 2 starters.   I dont consider moving players to new positions as a fix for a lack of a starter at those positions since there is zero proof that they will make the moves.. essentially under your scenario I think it add more pressure to the problem since we go to only one player in a position that they have any experience which increases the fail rate substantially IMO.... to many failed moves from left to right,  or from tackle to guard for me to have any faith in that plan at all any more.

I don't see it that way. By moving O'Neal to the LT spot and Reiff to the RG spot, that gives you the fix for the whole left side of the line. Your LT, LG, and C are all set in stone.
You get the first pick of the draft correct and hit on that lineman, then you have one position that you can find either on your squad or in FA. You hit on a RT and you have your options with Easton, which I am expecting to resign, and a young guy.  
you are Hoping that ONeill can play on the left side and Hoping that Rieff can kick inside at OG,  Hoping that Easton (or other)  is able to go to the right side and come back from his injury,  and then hoping that we can get a day 1 starting RT in the draft.... thats a lot of hope... and like marky mark says "Hope is not a tactic".   Sorry bud,  I just see to many moving parts for this plan to be successful.

From what I saw out of O'Neil last year he can play LT and has the athleticism to do so. Proved he had fluid feet as well. He looks to be able to play the position.
Reiff was a very good G in college and I don't have a hope for him, I have an expectation to live up to his money and what he has already proven he can do at G.
you still have no recent track records to support your proposed moves... its hope and nothing more unless maybe baseless expectations.  lots of people used to be able to do stuff,  but time changes them.   Reiff hasnt played OG since his freshman year at Iowa and finished the year at RT after starting the season at LT.  I really dont think relying on nearly 10 year old data is anything more than hope at best.

@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

you still have no recent track records to support your proposed moves... its hope and nothing more unless maybe baseless expectations.  lots of people used to be able to do stuff,  but time changes them.   Reiff hasnt played OG since his freshman year at Iowa and finished the year at RT after starting the season at LT.  I really dont think relying on nearly 10 year old data is anything more than hope at best.

Asking him or telling him about moving to G is all the proof I need to know on Reiff.

Quote: @"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Asking him or telling him about moving to G is all the proof I need to know on Reiff.
We hope you are right.

@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

We hope you are right.

Hell, I hope I am right too lol. I was simply saying that those 2 moves makes our line far better than anything we fielded last year week 1. That is if you can hit on an offensive lineman at 18, which I believe we will.
I am praying there isn't a DT sitting there that Zimmer loves lol

Reiffs game with his size, strength and shorter arms seem to project a solid performance at G. He also has mobility to pull. Whether he is better for LG or RG I don’t know, and how the return of Easton plays into this I don’t know but I would love to have him back as he became pretty sturdy at LG in 2017.

I can’t remember a poor performance from him and I cant remember a good performance by Remmers and Compton. That said his return should be a good upgrade at the minimum for 2019

Give me a G from the top 50 players and a development tackle later on. Between Elf, ONeill, Reiff, Collins and Easton we have a solid foundation