Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rhodes and Waynes
Tre has the concussion concerns,   X has shown issues with his hammies the last couple years.... neither is a picture of long term health and a corner without solid legs might as well be in concussion protocol because he isnt really effective enough when he is limping around out there.   glad this isnt my decision,  I would love to see them both stay,  but since that isnt likely with the cap issues being what they are.... who goes?

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
I believe Rhodes has $6 or $7M in dead money.  Waynes has $0.  Waynes is younger and great in run support.  Both get nicked up a fair amount.  What could we get for Waynes in trade?  If not at least a 2 I would not even consider it.
well its not like we are going to tag Waynes after this year so essentially he is a 1 year rental at this point.  I would have rather been in on a couple of these OL that got traded for defensive help with Waynes,  no cap savings this way,  but it would give us a known commodity to plug into the OL instead of a coin flip at best draft pick.
I wouldn't necessarily go so far to say they'd let Waynes walk next off-season. If they have trade offers now and they opt to keep him I'd anticipate they want to keep Waynes/Rhodes together. This is the last year they're truly squeezed against the cap so they would have some real flexibility to make it work.  
the future cap looks good for now,  but eventually they will add some new contracts that will eat into that future cap as well.  essentially it seems that most years we say we just need to get through this year or next year,  but then that year comes and we are often back to square one.   

I remember we had talks at this time last year when there was concern over being able to keep the D together and sign Cousins.  Some said it could be done,  others were more skeptical,  its looking like the D is going to get taken apart to some extent.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
I believe Rhodes has $6 or $7M in dead money.  Waynes has $0.  Waynes is younger and great in run support.  Both get nicked up a fair amount.  What could we get for Waynes in trade?  If not at least a 2 I would not even consider it.
well its not like we are going to tag Waynes after this year so essentially he is a 1 year rental at this point.  I would have rather been in on a couple of these OL that got traded for defensive help with Waynes,  no cap savings this way,  but it would give us a known commodity to plug into the OL instead of a coin flip at best draft pick.
I wouldn't necessarily go so far to say they'd let Waynes walk next off-season. If they have trade offers now and they opt to keep him I'd anticipate they want to keep Waynes/Rhodes together. This is the last year they're truly squeezed against the cap so they would have some real flexibility to make it work.  
the future cap looks good for now,  but eventually they will add some new contracts that will eat into that future cap as well.  essentially it seems that most years we say we just need to get through this year or next year,  but then that year comes and we are often back to square one.   

I remember we had talks at this time last year when there was concern over being able to keep the D together and sign Cousins.  Some said it could be done,  others were more skeptical,  its looking like the D is going to get taken apart to some extent.
I wouldn't necessarily put that purely on Cousins. But in the future you also will have players falling off the cap as well. My bigger point is that inflation always gives you room over time. Cousins deal is for $28M/yr. By the time we get to next year the cap will have grown over $20M making his deal much more consumable as a % of cap. 

@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Gonna be interesting to see how this unfolds. To me, the logical choice would be Waynes. But I wonder if the Vikings could choose Rhodes if they get an offer they can't refuse. 
They both have their upsides to keep and to trade.... hard to really pick one and say with any certainty that you made the right choice on which one to move from.
Yes.  So lets try that option.
20 million in to your starting corners is pretty hard to do when  your 28 million dollar QB is getting pounded into the dirt.
So let Brez do his job. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:

I wouldn't necessarily put that purely on Cousins. But in the future you also will have players falling off the cap as well. My bigger point is that inflation always gives you room over time. Cousins deal is for $28M/yr. By the time we get to next year the cap will have grown over $20M making his deal much more consumable as a % of cap. 
unfortunately that will then be the  last year of his deal and he will likely be looking for more than 28 which then tips the cap % over again.  I dont know what the answer is,  but I am pretty sure that over paying at any one position will mean skimping at others to offset it.  I dont think Cousins is the bust that some want to argue, but I also dont think we saw the upside from the position that we were promised over keenum or teddy either.   I dont think they would have done any better,  but missing the playoffs is missing the playoffs whether its one game or 5,  the results are the same.   it would be nice to see KC take a brady approach after this year and agree to an extension that keeps him well paid,  but allows for other positions around him to be filled with higher priced talent... as we have seen he cant do it alone.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Gonna be interesting to see how this unfolds. To me, the logical choice would be Waynes. But I wonder if the Vikings could choose Rhodes if they get an offer they can't refuse. 
They both have their upsides to keep and to trade.... hard to really pick one and say with any certainty that you made the right choice on which one to move from.
20 million in to your starting corners is pretty hard to do when  your 28 million dollar QB is getting pounded into the dirt.
So let Brez do his job. 
its not magic,  a lot of fans said last year that we would end up losing players this year if we signed KC to that deal and it appears to be happening.  maybe it works out maybe it doesnt,  but the defense for sure will be losing some talent if they are going to do anything to improve that OL.

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:

I think "taken apart" is a bit extreme. This is still a defense with Rhodes, Kendricks, Hunter, Joseph, Harry, and a pretty good looking 1st round corner from last year. If we have to move on from Griffen, Barr and Waynes in order to give the offense what it needs to get our money's worth from Cousins, I'm all for it. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:

Cousins' contract actually eats up more of the cap percentage in 2020.  His cap number this last year was $24M and it is $31M in 2020, taking up 35% of your estimated cap increase and increasing the overall cap hit %.

I would also disagree that next year isn't a cap crunch.  As of now, they have about $38M per overthecap, but they also only have 36 players under contract.  They need 17 more players to get to the 53 needed, which is only about $2M per player on average.  I'm sure that estimated cap number for next year doesn't account for a cap increase, but that's still not a lot of money for all of those holes that will be there.

@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
So let Brez do his job. 
its not magic,  a lot of fans said last year that we would end up losing players this year if we signed KC to that deal and it appears to be happening.  maybe it works out maybe it doesnt,  but the defense for sure will be losing some talent if they are going to do anything to improve that OL.
No, it isn't magic.  But rather than be eager to trade away talent in a position that is so hard to find, I say get Brez some help and get it figured out.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
So let Brez do his job. 
No, it isn't magic.  But rather than be eager to trade away talent in a position that is so hard to find, I say get Brez some help and get it figured out.
who says anybody is eager?  I would rather keep them both,  but simple math says that its going to take a few million to sign our draft picks and from where we are right now that doesnt leave much to fix the OL,  replace Barr, and add a 3TDT.  in order to fill those other holes with quality,   the money is going to have to be cut from some where and really that only leaves the defense.