Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of the more interesting storylines; What will happen with Teddy Bridgewater?
Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not convinced Teddy is going to truly excel as a starter any more.  Does anyone really know what's he's lost, or not lost, because of his injury.  He hasn't played much since coming back.  I think it's going to be interesting to see where he lands and if in fact he will be starting next season.
I'm with you.  Since returning to action, he's shown at least as much bad as he has good in limited action, and as much as most of us loved the kid and pulled for him...like the article said, he hasn't played effectively in more than 3 years.

He's never been a dominant QB, just a helluva determined player with a huge, competitive heart.  I'll watch his career going forward, certainly, but...Keenum, Bradford, and Cousins have all been upgrades.

I think it would be smart for Teddy to try and stay in New Orleans. I like Teddy as a person and dislike the Saints as an organization and their fans. So that makes saying stay hard. I just don't know that him going to a different QB needy team prevents that team from still drafting a guy. If that team is struggling he won't get a chance for long before they make the change. If he wants to play now he may well run the risk of forever being boxed in as a stop gap journeyman. The Saints gives him the best opportunity to take over a established team and succeed. Maybe have several years with one team insted of bouncing around like a journeyman does.

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
I think it would be smart for Teddy to try and stay in New Orleans. I like Teddy as a person and dislike the Saints as an organization and their fans. So that makes saying stay hard. I just don't know that him going to a different QB needy team prevents that team from still drafting a guy. If that team is struggling he won't get a chance for long before they make the change. If he wants to play now he may well run the risk of forever being boxed in as a stop gap journeyman. The Saints gives him the best opportunity to take over a established team and succeed. Maybe have several years with one team insted of bouncing around like a journeyman does.
Teddy can't take the chance that Brees will play yet another season after '19. If he could get some kind of guarantee from the Saints that they won't re-sign Brees after his contract expires after '19 then maybe he could choose to stay. But he's got to be dying to get out there. And I'd be pretty surprised if he's not offered starting money from somewhere. 

We dont know if nawlins wants him back.  Assuming they do, teddy's agent can negotiate clauses into any contract that allow for his release or other deals that would keep him from getting trapped in a shitty deal if he doesnt get the starting or at  least a chance to compete.

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
Little is guaranteed in any situation, as Bridgewater learned last year: the Jets needed a QB, and at the time he signed it looked like he would be given a shot to complete only with Josh McCown - but they drafted Darnold. So, yes, that could happen anywhere he signs - no guarantees.
But in New Orleans, one thing is guaranteed: unless Brees gets hurt, Bridgewater will NOT have a chance to start. So why stay in a guaranteed waiting period? As others have said, the doubt about Bridgewater being a future star is broad and growing, and every year older he gets it just gets worse. He needs to get somewhere that gives him a shot at starting this season.
Hopefully, he learned last year that a 5-11 team with the 3rd overall pick is pretty dangerous territory. I still hope he can go to Washington: they were 6-3 when Alex Smith got hurt, and don't draft until #15. Jay Gruden likes Colt McCoy but he is also recovering and is manageable competition for Bridgewater. The Redskins tried to acquire Joe Flacco, indicating they want a veteran QB, and the Eagles will do whatever possible to keep Nick Foles away from them.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
Little is guaranteed in any situation, as Bridgewater learned last year: the Jets needed a QB, and at the time he signed it looked like he would be given a shot to complete only with Josh McCown - but they drafted Darnold. So, yes, that could happen anywhere he signs - no guarantees.
But in New Orleans, one thing is guaranteed: unless Brees gets hurt, Bridgewater will NOT have a chance to start. So why stay in a guaranteed waiting period? As others have said, the doubt about Bridgewater being a future star is broad and growing, and every year older he gets it just gets worse. He needs to get somewhere that gives him a shot at starting this season.
Hopefully, he learned last year that a 5-11 team with the 3rd overall pick is pretty dangerous territory. I still hope he can go to Washington: they were 6-3 when Alex Smith got hurt, and don't draft until #15. Jay Gruden likes Colt McCoy but he is also recovering and is manageable competition for Bridgewater. The Redskins tried to acquire Joe Flacco, indicating they want a veteran QB, and the Eagles will do whatever possible to keep Nick Foles away from them.

You're right. I do agree. Last year he made a mistake taking that contract and going to that team. I didn't like it for him then. I'm not a huge Teddy backer. He still hadn't proved it to me here yet before his injury.  I want him to get his chance though. You guys are right nothing is guaranteed. As Jimmy said, not even that New Orleans wants him back. Washington does sound like a good spot. They have some talent and a need.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
We dont know if nawlins wants him back.  Assuming they do, teddy's agent can negotiate clauses into any contract that allow for his release or other deals that would keep him from getting trapped in a shitty deal if he doesnt get the starting or at  least a chance to compete.
If the Saints don't want him back they better take their talking points away from Michael Thomas. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
If the Saints don't want him back they better take their talking points away from Michael Thomas. 
Teddy had supporters in the Vikings locker room as well.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Teddy had supporters in the Vikings locker room as well.

Right. This isn't the NBA where players get to pick their own teams.