Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of the more interesting storylines; What will happen with Teddy Bridgewater?
Saints don't have a lot of cap space, he may not want to wait for Brees to retire

Florida teams --

Dolphins? I think they go QB high in the draft

Jax??? Maybe 

Bucs? Probably not...

Giants? Does he have a Shurmur connection? 

What's a good landing spot for the kid? He's nearing 27 now? Not too old, but not a greenhorn either.

Ideally will want a chance to compete for a starting position somewhere. 

All I can say is "good luck, TB". 

Cue the "Teddy is a nice guy, BUT..." posts.
I will be following his journey.  One of the few players that I will follow after he left the Vikings.  Brad Johnson was the other.

One I have not seen suggested is Washington. They have probably lost Alex Smith for 2019, and a lot of mocks are sending Kyler Murray their way, but drafting a QB is conceding that they need to rebuild. The Skins were leading their division until Smith (and some others) got hurt, so I think they consider themselves contending. Bridgewater showed in 2015 that he could lead a run-oriented team to the playoffs. If they pass on QB, the Redskins can draft an OL and solidify another weakness.
The odds of this probably rise if Washington works out a new contract with Adrian Peterson, since he and Bridgewater are friends.

NFL Players Who Are Huge Risks in 2019 Free Agency

QB Teddy Bridgewater1 of 10
  1. [Image: 98c4d042baccb47b0dda7ebf61bda92a_crop_ex...crop_y=top]Bill Feig/Associated Press
    In most seasons, with most quarterbacks, a 26-year-old signal-caller with 29 career starts who has led a team to the playoffs would be one of the most coveted free agents on the market.
    But this is no normal quarterback. This is Teddy Bridgewater. And while Bridgewater will still be one of the more sought-after free agents at the position this spring, there's also no doubt Bridgewater's the riskiest of this year's higher-end options under center.
    Back in 2015, Bridgewater looked to be ascending the ranks of the NFL's young quarterbacks. His stats weren't eye-popping (3,231 passing yards, 14 touchdowns, nine interceptions), but Bridgewater went 11-5 as the starter in Minnesota and got the Vikings into the postseason.
    Then, of course, the bottom fell out. Bridgewater suffered a gruesome leg injury in training camp the following summer that could have cost him his life. The 2014 first-round pick missed all of the 2016 season and attempted only two passes in 2017—both in mop-up duty against the Cincinnati Bengals.
    In 2018, Bridgewater signed as a free agent with the New York Jets, only to be summarily shipped to New Orleans. Sitting behind Drew Brees, Bridgewater again barely played—although he did start in Week 17 when the Saints rested their starters.
    The results of that start were less than impressive, although they did come with second-stringers. But it reinforced the reality that we haven't seen Bridgewater play effectively in the NFL for over three years.
    At this point, it's fair to wonder if we ever will again.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2821...ce=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial#slide1

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
NFL Players Who Are Huge Risks in 2019 Free Agency

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2821...ce=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial#slide1

There is a very insulting line in that full article regarding free agent offensive linemen:
Quote:Last year, the New York Giants handed Nate Solder $62 million over four years to play left tackle. The year before that, the Minnesota Vikings handed Riley Reiff $58.8 million over five years to do the same.
Both signings have been disasters.
Seriously - call Reiff a "disaster" but not mention Matt Kalil??

I don't look at Reiff as a disaster. I know some do, but he seemed more than serviceable to me until he got hurt - insert shrug emoji here. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I don't look at Reiff as a disaster. I know some do, but he seemed more than serviceable to me until he got hurt - insert shrug emoji here. 
and he changed the mentality of the line last year.  How many games did he go without even surrendering a pressure?

This does look like a sticky situation. Apparently the Saints (especially Michael Thomas) have been lobbying hard to keep him (and might even consider franchising him), but Teddy will not want to spend another year behind Brees.

Do you take the starting gig and end up in a bad situation? Or do you stay with the Saints, burn YET another year, but inherit one of the best teams in the NFL? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
This does look like a sticky situation. Apparently the Saints (especially Michael Thomas) have been lobbying hard to keep him (and might even consider franchising him), but Teddy will not want to spend another year behind Brees.

Do you take the starting gig and end up in a bad situation? Or do you stay with the Saints, burn YET another year, but inherit one of the best teams in the NFL? 
SP and Brees make a lethal combination no doubt. But as we painfully know, there's just no guarantee year on year in the NFL anymore.

Unless you're the Patriots  :p

That said, Teddy can/should survey opportunities and then weigh that to staying in The Big Easy or not.