Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: RIP Stan "The Man" Lee -
Very sad. Think I'll take my collection out and commiserate with them for a bit.

never got into the comics much, but respected his creativity.  RIP.  

more of a MAD magazine guy myself. 

then the mags with....uh....pictures.  

As an admitted geek this is a sad day.
However what a great life. You will not soon be forgotten by generations of geeks. I know because my family alone has 3 generations of fans. Starting with myself.
You made many of us believe that the powerful could be caring and protecting of the weak.  Far from the reality most were momentarily escaping.
RIP Stan.

Marvel was my comic book universe. The thing that rarely gets discussed is what a vocabulary you were exposed to if you read superhero comic books. I learned so many new words. I had a collection of over 300 at one point and even subscribed in the mail to a few titles that would come monthly (Fantastic Four, the Avengers) growing up. I'd read and reread them over and over again. It appealed to my imagination so much.

Quote: @Clanzomaelan said:
Wow. This one kills me. As someone who had the honor of knowing Stan, I can tell you that you will never find a kinder, more generous soul. 

It's even more incredible knowing what an absolute titan of the comic industry he is. He absolutely shaped my childhood, and honestly had an impact on me through college, and beyond. 

I don't want to go too far down that rabbit hole, but let me just say what a wonderful man he was. He knew the impact he had on people like me, and never once took it for granted. An amazing ambassador for dorks like me.
It's helpful to hear you say that about Mr. Lee... since I've begun reading that *some* folks thought he was a very bigoted man, who also sexually abused women.
Now, mind you, I don't believe those stories.  That's because from every appearance I've ever seen, he seemed to be the kind of person you described.  So either he was a really good actor (like Bill Cosby, apparently)... or those accusations are pure bunk.
Thanks for sharing your personal insights.  I appreciate it.

Sorry to hear about his passing, but I'm a bit mixed about his status as a "legend". Lee acquired a reputation as a creator of many Marvel characters, and he didn't  - but that is a huge disservice to Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, and others. Lee was a great promoter of the franchises, but he also promoted himself, and didn't go to any lengths to share credit with Kirby (or see that he received royalties).
No doubt this will seem unkind, but if a thread gets this long and includes phrases like "Marvel comics" and "creator", but not "Kirby", something is amiss.

[Image: xucft17cdv1r.jpg]
Thor (Eric Allen Kramer), Donald Blake (Steve Levitt), Dr. David Banner (Bill Bixby), the Incredible Hulk (Lou Ferrigno) and Stan Lee, the man who created the Hulk.

[Image: nxfsy511d2mm.jpg]