Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zim
Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
we need to remember that there were rule changes that are affecting defensive backs this year, not making excuses for Rhodes and the rest,  but they have had to adjust how they play down field and that might be part of the let down.  i dont think its just our D,  IIRC that Rams D was the top in the league heading into last night and our pathetic O hung 31 on them in their own home after only 1 or 2 days of prep and a long flight.  

all these changes to the d make the game more and more lopsided,  i dont know how much of this drop off is related to scheme or how much is related to defense players that arent allowed to play defense any more?  
This. The NFL wants offense, offense and more offense. I don't know what crowd they are catering to these days but this crap looks like arena league football.
So if the NFL is going to make it impossible to win via defense, isn't it a shame we spent the last 4+ years building a team (coaches and players) that heavily emphasizes defense?

Who is going to play over Barr?

I mean, that's part of the bigger issue here. We are getting killed in the one on one matchups. We switch to zone and we cant get to the Quarterback, so he holds the ball until someone is running in open space. We have been killed by running backs and tightends; how do you even send a double A gap blitz when there is no one seemingly capable of covering a quick throw?

We mixed up all kinds of coverages against them and they were ready for anything. If they weren't on one play, they ran back to the line in with the same personnel in completely different formation alignment. Against the Rams, the issue wasn't adjustments, as much as it was LA knowing our coverage assignments within formations and constantly dialing something up that gave them matchups they expected. The TD to Woods, they ran back to the line and spread a TE 4 wide look; we were caught in a 3 LB formation against 4 wide. It's silly to look at the formation they are in on that play and then look at our personnel on the field. 3 backers. It's cause we got caught against a hurry up and most teams aren't going to burn the timeout there.

... We've got some issues to iron out defensively. On the other hand though, the we hung with a pretty good Rams team after no-showing against Buffalo. Our Offense needs to find the running game, but it looks like we can hang with teams while the defense comes around. The center of the Rams defensive line is an NFL anomaly, and with no running game we were in it til the end. That's a huge positive off of the Buffalo game. If the defense wasn't no where to be found again, that game would have felt like a nice step off of the Buffalo game. We were competitive, but the defense gave up so much it never really felt like it until that last drive we fumbled.

I'm optimistic about what we got out of the offense yesterday without a running game - it was about as "uphill" of a battle as it gets for an offense in this league, and we we're right there the whole time. I'm hopeful; we obviously aren't at the level we were last season but we can still be something this season... lock some stuff down on defense and keep scoring points...

I think it might be a result of last year when our defense would tire out.  Playing press man is a lot more exhausting that zone, albeit less effective IMO, too.  However, maybe the CBs were complaining they couldn't cover like that in every game for 16 games.  If so, whats the difference now?  I don't know, but it's starting to look like Rhodes are open and we over paid for cracking concrete.  Iloka is a better cover safety so I'm not sure why he isn't in there either.  If need be, play Sen in the box on big nickel.  I was encouraged by our offense hanging around last night but their DLine was too tough to handle for our patchwork OLine in the end.  One strip sack fumble from possibly winning is not too bad, though.

I hope our defense catches up with our offense, because then we will be winning these kinds of games.

Quote: @"NorthernCalVike" said:
From what I have heard is that so far this year offenses are on pace for a record year in scoring. The average passer ratings so far is off the charts compared to year averages. Defenses are not allowed to defend like they used to. The NFL wanted NBA type games, and now they have them.

Boys and girls, mark it on your calendars...November 11th.  No, not the 100th year anniversary of Armistice Day.  It's KC Chiefs at LA Rams!  Bring your abacus, calculators or adding machines 'cause you're gonna need 'em.
Mahomes v. Goff.  Could the Redskins 1966 record 72 to 41 beat-down of the Giants be broken??? Wink

Jeeze... 72 points and it wasn't a game of Madden?!

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
They are obviously having communication problems.  They really miss Griffen and BRob.  I'm to the point that I'm not sure why Barr is even playing.  I really believe it's more the players than the coaching.  I guess this about sums up my opinion of the situation. 
Although Newman is still there as a coach, I'm sure the secondary miss his leadership and intangibles out there on the field.

Quote: @"DeepFreeze05" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:
They are obviously having communication problems.  They really miss Griffen and BRob.  I'm to the point that I'm not sure why Barr is even playing.  I really believe it's more the players than the coaching.  I guess this about sums up my opinion of the situation. 
Although Newman is still there as a coach, I'm sure the secondary miss his leadership and intangibles out there on the field.
Couldn't help but jokingly recall that Packers game years back with the Newman/Rhodes coverage drama - imaging Newman helping everyone line up better these days...

... just connecting the dots man... 

On the TD pass to Thielen, they doubled Aaron Donald, Morgan took the DE and Elflein was one on one with Suh. Plenty of time and you can see that Suh takes plays off.

Quote: @"BlackMagic7" said:
Who is going to play over Barr?

I mean, that's part of the bigger issue here. We are getting killed in the one on one matchups. We switch to zone and we cant get to the Quarterback, so he holds the ball until someone is running in open space. We have been killed by running backs and tightends; how do you even send a double A gap blitz when there is no one seemingly capable of covering a quick throw?

We mixed up all kinds of coverages against them and they were ready for anything. If they weren't on one play, they ran back to the line in with the same personnel in completely different formation alignment. Against the Rams, the issue wasn't adjustments, as much as it was LA knowing our coverage assignments within formations and constantly dialing something up that gave them matchups they expected. The TD to Woods, they ran back to the line and spread a TE 4 wide look; we were caught in a 3 LB formation against 4 wide. It's silly to look at the formation they are in on that play and then look at our personnel on the field. 3 backers. It's cause we got caught against a hurry up and most teams aren't going to burn the timeout there.

... We've got some issues to iron out defensively. On the other hand though, the we hung with a pretty good Rams team after no-showing against Buffalo. Our Offense needs to find the running game, but it looks like we can hang with teams while the defense comes around. The center of the Rams defensive line is an NFL anomaly, and with no running game we were in it til the end. That's a huge positive off of the Buffalo game. If the defense wasn't no where to be found again, that game would have felt like a nice step off of the Buffalo game. We were competitive, but the defense gave up so much it never really felt like it until that last drive we fumbled.

I'm optimistic about what we got out of the offense yesterday without a running game - it was about as "uphill" of a battle as it gets for an offense in this league, and we we're right there the whole time. I'm hopeful; we obviously aren't at the level we were last season but we can still be something this season... lock some stuff down on defense and keep scoring points...
And I got a bit of a feeling this was a midseason superbowl for them.  We decimated them in our house last year and I think that burned a bit.  They weren't the same after that and got beat in the playoffs by the falcons (?).  So I wouldn't be surprise if McVay spent a few weeks this offseason figuring out just how to beat Zimmer's D.  That one TD, he was more than elated on the sidelines. 

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
we need to remember that there were rule changes that are affecting defensive backs this year, not making excuses for Rhodes and the rest,  but they have had to adjust how they play down field and that might be part of the let down.  i dont think its just our D,  IIRC that Rams D was the top in the league heading into last night and our pathetic O hung 31 on them in their own home after only 1 or 2 days of prep and a long flight.  

all these changes to the d make the game more and more lopsided,  i dont know how much of this drop off is related to scheme or how much is related to defense players that arent allowed to play defense any more?  
This. The NFL wants offense, offense and more offense. I don't know what crowd they are catering to these days but this crap looks like arena league football.
Me either. I can't stand to watch constant shoot outs. That gets boring to me. Even watching college football, if the score gets too high I lose interest. I am thinking where's the defense. I think they are looking for the casual fans and the fantasy football crowd. Not all fantasy football people but those that love the high scoring games. That must be the market they have in mind. As far as arena football goes, it's boring too.