Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade bait? Real praise?
Quote: @"Akvike" said:
Even coaches sometimes forget that forests are made up of individual trees---sloter might not see the whole big pic of running an nfl offense but he's not dead wood like the other guy holding a clipboard.  Doesn't matter if seimian understands the big pic, he can't execute it to be a viable option if KC goes down.  Just like shaun hill was nothing more than a camp arm pressed into duty for years as a backup. 

I think when Zim said he was clearly a number 2 he meant he plays like sheet 
Give Siemian some credit. He looked good against the Broncos. And I'm sure despite Case Keenum's 1 of 4 for 5 yards and a rating of 39.6 against Minnesota, the Broncos aren't yet ready to give up on him. It's preseason, where every fan becomes Overreaction Jackson.

All that said, coaches can definitely be wrong. If Trent Green doesn't get hurt, does anyone ever know the name Kurt Warner? Ditto Bledsoe/Brady.  

It's  PRESEASON!

Seriously. Guys that are Game Managers or don't have the biggest arm rely on playcalling and not making mistskes.

You get neither of those things in the freaking preseason. Just one vanilla call after another, playing with guys who make a lot of mistakes because they're new or backups.

On the other hand, if you have a live arm or can scramble then preseason is like a buffet. No worries about reading defenses, audibling, making sure everyone is lined up right in unique formations or worrying about TOs torpedoeing your #1 Defense.

You run the generic play that was called. If it breaks down you get to show off your superman arm or ballet dancer feet.

By the very nature of how coaches want it run preseason will always make guys like Sloter look great and guys like Trevor look like lunch meat.

And yet there are far more Game Managers starting on Sundays than there are gunslingers or elite scramblers. And Trevor will stay at #2 while Kyle stays at #3. The coaches know what they see when implementing the whole Offensive Playbook during practice. That's where Sloter needs to perform to pass Trevor, not in the limited environment that a preseason game provides.

Preseason is a money-making scam, always has been. Its garbage football. I'm surprised that a few long-time fans still get caught up in it like it has any meaning whatsoever. The sadly real part of it are the injuries. 

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
I'll say one thing--that TD Sloter threw to Beebe at the end of the Seattle game sure didn't look third string to me.
I think had they reviewed it, they might have called it back. I am pretty sure he was over the line of scrimmage when he threw it. 

I'm not definite one way or the other, but I would like to see what Sloter can do with the #2's.  Can't hurt.

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
I'll say one thing--that TD Sloter threw to Beebe at the end of the Seattle game sure didn't look third string to me.
I think had they reviewed it, they might have called it back. I am pretty sure he was over the line of scrimmage when he threw it. 

I meant the actual throw, regardless of whether or not he was over the line. Great throw, great zip on that ball and great ball placement while scrambling to the left. It was a tough throw  and he made it look easy.
I know a lot of folks here don't like to give much weight to preseason games. I happen to enjoy them. It's vanilla schemes and it's a scrimmage fans pay for, but there is a purpose for it obviously and once in a while you get to see some nice plays that stand alone regardless of the circumstances that created them. That TD throw was one of them. 

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
the pics I have seen say the ball was out before he was entirely across the neutral zone.