Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New safety George Iloka is the piece the Vikings’ defense needed
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I think folks are overrating George Iloka a little bit. Good, still young player with experience in Zim's defense. He's going to help us a LOT. But it sounds like many think he's some kind of All Pro. He's not. A few in Cincy were convinced even if he stayed he could lose his starting job to Jessie Bates. Right now I'd say we have the best backup safety in the NFL. And whether that translates to scheme flexibility or transaction flexibility remains to be seen. 
This is true, but that's also about the TYPE of safety each player is. Bates is a 200 pound guy with 4.50 speed who has played CB almost as much as safety. He's a S/CB combo and that's what the Bengals want to do. In truth, I have wondered if the Vikings wanted to replace Sendejo with that type, and I liked Bates or Justin Reid for that role.
But Sendejo doesn't offer that kind of athleticism and coverage potential - he is the same type as Iloka, but he is shorter, lighter, slower, less athletic, and older. He has an edge in knowing his teammates now, but I think the superior talent will win out. His height and long arms are a component our defense has lacked.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
I think folks are overrating George Iloka a little bit. Good, still young player with experience in Zim's defense. He's going to help us a LOT. But it sounds like many think he's some kind of All Pro. He's not. A few in Cincy were convinced even if he stayed he could lose his starting job to Jessie Bates. Right now I'd say we have the best backup safety in the NFL. And whether that translates to scheme flexibility or transaction flexibility remains to be seen. 
This is true, but that's also about the TYPE of safety each player is. Bates is a 200 pound guy with 4.50 speed who has played CB almost as much as safety. He's a S/CB combo and that's what the Bengals want to do. In truth, I have wondered if the Vikings wanted to replace Sendejo with that type, and I liked Bates or Justin Reid for that role.
But Sendejo doesn't offer that kind of athleticism and coverage potential - he is the same type as Iloka, but he is shorter, lighter, slower, less athletic, and older. He has an edge in knowing his teammates now, but I think the superior talent will win out. His height and long arms are a component our defense has lacked.
It doesn't have to always be either/or. Both skill sets can be used to give the defense more advantageous match ups depending on down/distance. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
It doesn't have to always be either/or. Both skill sets can be used to give the defense more advantageous match ups depending on down/distance. 
OK, there might be some situations where 3 safeties on the same field work...Smith or Iloka in the box, sometimes.
But in what situations would Sendejo offer some matchup advantage so they leave Iloka on the bench? Does he have some "skill set" that sets him apart?

Wouldn't a lot of "3 safety" formations actually be better with a CB like Newman sliding into a safety role because we want more speed and coverage ability? That sure isn't Sendejo's strength.

There's 2 ways you can look at this...From a football sense, having Smith and Sendejo as safeties with Iloka switching in for either one of them makes for a strong defensive backfield.  Or from a business sense, one of them could end up being a 5 million dollar backup.  Just got to wait to see what sense happens to take precedence.

Can George cover Zach Ertz? Cuz we already know Dejo can't.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Iloka is highly unlikely to start over Andrew Sendejo, who is coming off a solid 2017 season, but his presence give the Vikings an opportunity to offer looks they have not given opponents during the Zimmer era.
One of those options is to move All-Pro Harrison Smith into a linebacker spot during certain situations and use Iloka and Sendejo as the two safeties. With a reliable over-the-top safety, Smith could be used to thwart opponents usage of fullbacks or extra tight ends rather than sticking with a traditional 4-3 package.
Smith has proven to be exceptionally good at shifting spots when called upon. Per PFF, he played 577 snaps as a safety, 277 snaps at linebacker, 153 at slot corner, 112 off the edge and 34 as an outside corner.
“I think it will help some of the other packages we have,” Zimmer said.
Iloka said he understands the reality of his situation, but wanted to land in a spot that would give him an opportunity to contribute.
"Highly unlikely"??? Who is writing this - Mrs. Sendejo?? Sure, the coaches and team management and even Iloka himself are all being good sports and saying "team first" things, but Sendejo and Gedeon were the weakest parts of our defense. Two years ago, Zimmer wanted Iloka badly and settled for Sendejo when it became clear the Bengals would retain Iloka. 

Iloka will be starting next to Smith in week 1, and Sendejo will be on another team or the bench.

week one of what season

Quote: @"holmanjp" said:

week one of what season
Raising a dead post, eh?