• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Sloter?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@1VikesFan said:
I thought Sloter looked better than Siemian.  I have
never really been excited about the Siemian signing and will not be
surprised if Sloter beats him out.
I thought the same thing about Case last off-season...  solid veteran back up, but didn't make any notable plays in pre-season. 

It's hard to say how Siemian would look with Diggs, Thielen, Rudy, and Cook.  Hopefully we don't have to find out...
Yeah, I thought Siemian looked OK.  I think it's possible that Sloter beats him out, but very unlikely. If the backup has to go in at some point in the regular season, against all of the disguised coverages and exotic blitz packages, we're going to want someone who's at least seen it before. That's why we traded for him. We've really been lucky the last couple years to be able to land a #2 who's started several NFL games and isn't 40 years old. 
Actually with the way the league has been running through QBs the last decade and not taking the time to develop the young arms,  there are quite a few young guys with experience out there to pick from...none of them are really amazing,  but there is a reason  they are available.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@1VikesFan said:
I thought the same thing about Case last off-season...  solid veteran back up, but didn't make any notable plays in pre-season. 

It's hard to say how Siemian would look with Diggs, Thielen, Rudy, and Cook.  Hopefully we don't have to find out...
Yeah, I thought Siemian looked OK.  I think it's possible that Sloter beats him out, but very unlikely. If the backup has to go in at some point in the regular season, against all of the disguised coverages and exotic blitz packages, we're going to want someone who's at least seen it before. That's why we traded for him. We've really been lucky the last couple years to be able to land a #2 who's started several NFL games and isn't 40 years old. 
Actually with the way the league has been running through QBs the last decade and not taking the time to develop the young arms,  there are quite a few young guys with experience out there to pick from...none of them are really amazing,  but there is a reason  they are available.  
There's one...

I like Sloter and Sloter's potential, but its very hard to gauge where he is at when he's getting #3 reps. I'm going to guess that if Minnesota really does like this kid, he'll be the #2 QB in 2019. The level up from #3 to #2 is huge and would be a big confidence play for the kid by the franchise. They have developed him slowly and that's what is needed as he had a lot to learn. But if they truly like him, the diapers come off for 2019 and they get a new developmental kid for the #3 spot. 

If they get another vet to back up Cousins next season, that tells me everything I need to know about Sloter. He's been able to relax last season and this season and learn without pressure. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@1VikesFan said:

I disagree. I thought Case played well in preseason. Specifically the 3rd preseason game against the 49ers. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@1VikesFan said:

Its hard to say since the only reason the Vikings traded for Siemian was to secure Kirk. Politics probably keep Siemian as the #2 for the time being. Sloter looked good and made some nice checks at the line to attack the Bronco's coverage. Siemian clearly has a better understanding on the offensive system and his progressions at this point. Sloter was much more of a pitch & catch guy last week.