Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is almost blasphemous to ask........BUT
I think it takes two SB victories to pull even.  After that, any more appearances might make Coach X pull away.
This is all assuming the two victories come first.  If Coach X starts to accumulate appearances with out wins, you might be into comparing teams, etc.

Zim is one miracle play away from being 0-2 in playoffs after his team claimed their division title.  Meanwhile Grant was 8-7 in the playoffs when his team finished with double digit wins.  And actually 4 of those losses were in the Super Bowl.  So getting to the Big Game Bud has a record of 8-3.  Pretty Damn Good.  

I am hoping that Zim can get the team to the Super Bowl and win...  But Grant will always be my coach.  

Quote: @"Bezerker88" said:
Zim is one miracle play away from being 0-2 in playoffs after his team claimed their division title.  Meanwhile Grant was 8-7 in the playoffs when his team finished with double digit wins.  And actually 4 of those losses were in the Super Bowl.  So getting to the Big Game Bud has a record of 8-3.  Pretty Damn Good.  

I am hoping that Zim can get the team to the Super Bowl and win...  But Grant will always be my coach.  
I think it's very important to keep the overall playoff record in mind, as well as longevity in regular season records. That said, the kind of coach longevity that the NFL saw in the 1970s is really unlikely today.

Just one Super Bowl Win. It's pretty simple and unanimous. Love Bud Grant (the coach and the man) but it's pretty simple.

I think it's impossible to compare accomplishments in the 60s and 70s to today's game.  This team would destroy the old teams and the game planning today would completely manhandle those older teams.

It would be an exercise in futility to even try and draw a comparison between the two.  Bud had grest and dominating defenses in his day,  Zim has a great and dominating D in today's much more challenging NFL,  neither has been able to achieve the ultimate prize so really they are on the same plane... great football minds that haven't won a superbowl.

Quote: @"Bezerker88" said:

I like to think that the Minnesota Miracle made up for Walsh shanking the shit out of a 27 yard FG that would have won us our first playoff game under Zimmer...

Grant was a LONG time ago....I mean, 1983 was 35 years ago. Its a little more than sad that we might still be pining for this guy as nothing really has happened since then (no Superbowl appearances). I respect and love Grant, but my favorite coach will be the one that brings home the Superbowl trophy.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I think it's impossible to compare accomplishments in the 60s and 70s to today's game.  This team would destroy the old teams and the game planning today would completely manhandle those older teams.

It would be an exercise in futility to even try and draw a comparison between the two.  Bud had grest and dominating defenses in his day,  Zim has a great and dominating D in today's much more challenging NFL,  neither has been able to achieve the ultimate prize so really they are on the same plane... great football minds that haven't won a superbowl.
I'm not one to compare old to new. The game changed. The players are bigger stronger and faster. I don't like that people dismiss teams or players/athletes from one generation because they don't match another. What if them athletes/teams were trained from teen years through the pros by todays technology. Great is great. Some if not most would be 15 pounds heavier and stronger now. Sure if you picked up the 1972 Vikings and dropped them in 2018 they'd get killed. Give them 15 years modern training??  Drop a modern fighter jet in WWII it would clean house. Not because the pilot has more nerve and commitment.