Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pick That Makes You Put Fist To Wall
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@ATXVIKE said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
(With a pencil clinched between my teeth) Struggling to understand valuing a dimeback over a starting interior lineman...how much longer will the NFL even have KR?...oy
I don't think its about valuing a dimeback. Its about valuing CB depth and a potential starting nickle corner and kick returner. I've been preaching it for week, if anything had happened to Rhodes, Waynes, or Mac they would be screwed. You can't let that derail the entire team. If the draft was only a single round they still would be better because a potential line of Reiff - Easton - Elflein - Remmers - Hill would be a better option than having to play Horace Richardson at corner. 
Exactly.  The off season moves pointed directly to corner being a need and a position where they would have good choices at the end of the 1st.  There is zero depth.  I still expect that they will bring back Newman if he wants which would really strengthen the group.

I am not sure Hernandez fits because he basically is just a mauling left guard.  Daniels is intriguing but only 20 years old and probably is going to struggle playing against older stronger players his first year or two.

I like Braden Smith, Wyatt Teller, and Colby Gossett as interior linemen to draft.
That's where someone (CB on the roster) puts on their big boy pants and earns their salary as a pro NFL player. What drop off does the #1 D in the league see if we lose a cb? What drop off do we see as our OL is depleted and inept and has a $84 mill QB with no protection? My gripe is we could have traded back...it could have been done earlier and likely the right deal could have been done. Who knows 5 picks later we still get Hughs! Why is the #1 D in the NFL still getting built?
I can't tell if you're trying to just troll or what. What drop-off would the #1 D see if they lost one of their 3 NFL corners on the roster? A very big one. Sherels isn't considered a CB at the end of the day and Mac was the only one who could play the slot on the roster. Basically, an injury to any of the three starting CB's would have completely derailed the entire season. 

When it comes to trading back, no teams trades into a pick until they know who is available. You trade up with a specific target in mind. As the team trading back you also need to receive an offer that gives you enough value to drop back and lose a 5th year option. If you're going OG the 5th year options is worthless. For a DB its actually incredibly valuable. So getting Hughes five picks later for a 4th would't be worth the lost year of team control. There are a lot more variables in play. 

Oh, and the O-line isn't depleted. It can be improved upon but the current combination is far from inept. 
Depleted?  Inept?  I hadnt seen anyone using those adjectives so lets not go there.  I get it, you are a team guy and who ever they go with you want to support.  

There was a reason why nearly everyone in the business identified the O line as the most immediate and pressing need for the Vikings.  To act like that is not the case now because they took a CB is disengenious.  The O line is a problem and has been a problem for a long time.  It isnt a priority and they treat it as such.  Our hope is that now that everyone has pointed it out to them that they may actually do something about it.  What happened last round could also be described as they failed to fill the most immediate need. In a draft class deep with talent they couldnt manage to land a guy to fill the need whether it was take one of the guys there at their pick or move up to get the guy they wanted.
Instead they got their dream CB, again. A 4.53 forty time, short and with some questions with his character.  So ya, some of us have some questions about just what they are thinking.

Quote: @Poiple said:

Depleted?  Inept?  I hadnt seen anyone using those adjectives so lets not go there.  
Those were the exact adjectives ATXVike used in his post at the top of this page (that Geoff quoted).

I think disappointment in Hughes is not only about how many people hoped we would draft an offensive lineman. (I didn't really think they would - Spielman picks fewer OL than any other position.)
Hughes seems like he will be a part-time contributor, at best. Best case for him sounds like nickelback, the #3 CB. On the field a lot nowadays, but still, not quite a full-time starter. Comments by Spielman and Zimmer talk about "having enough CBs", which indicate he might just be here for depth. You get depth on day 3, guys!
Round 1 is for someone that has the potential to be a full-time starter, hopefully adding another star player to the team! If they had picked Justin Reid, I would think, "OK, he's depth this year but in a year or two we might have the two best safeties in the league!"
There is just very little to get excited about with Hughes.

In a vacuum, I like the pick...it's grown on me...big upside...And I'm dying to see what Preifer can do with a dual threat returner...

But here's the thing, we lost a starter on the OL and some decent depth pieces...plus I'd like to see the $84 million dollar man protected and our RB1 not getting stopped in the backfield before he has a chance to get going...I guess I would fix ACTUAL holes first before addressing POTENTIAL holes due to injury or salary cap issues...

That being said, assuming we get some OL help tonight, I can see the value in going CB then OL...there's about 8-10 guys left on the board that wouldn't endanger any drywall...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
In a vacuum, I like the pick...it's grown on me...big upside...And I'm dying to see what Preifer can do with a dual threat returner...

But here's the thing, we lost a starter on the OL and some decent depth pieces...plus I'd like to see the $84 million dollar man protected and our RB1 not getting stopped in the backfield before he has a chance to get going...I guess I would fix ACTUAL holes first before addressing POTENTIAL holes due to injury or salary cap issues...

That being said, assuming we get some OL help tonight, I can see the value in going CB then OL...there's about 8-10 guys left on the board that wouldn't endanger any drywall...

Agree with this...and too, the best depth at CB sounds like it would have been gone by our 2nd but the best OL depth goes into the third, as I've heard it by a few here at least. I am hoping we grab that OL tonight.

I think Hughes contributes a bunch of snaps First Year. 
I agree with arguments about missing out on interior oline picks, at the same time.

I, for one, have a long memory, and I just want to say I LOVE having a team with a stud secondary.  I have earned that love through anguish.

I'm gonna trust the team has a plan and that they are working it.  It looks kinda bad, in the moment, but stud CBs are SO hard to get on your roster, and they command 10-15 million per year as free agents.

Look, everything on the field with this kid screams that he's an elite athlete and a stud with a high floor and a high ceiling.  That's just pretty hard to pass on at #30.

I get it.  Now go help that Offense!

Quote: @kahsmick said:
I think Hughes contributes a bunch of snaps First Year. 
I agree with arguments about missing out on interior oline picks, at the same time.

I, for one, have a long memory, and I just want to say I LOVE having a team with a stud secondary.  I have earned that love through anguish.

I'm gonna trust the team has a plan and that they are working it.  It looks kinda bad, in the moment, but stud CBs are SO hard to get on your roster, and they command 10-15 million per year as free agents.

Look, everything on the field with this kid screams that he's an elite athlete and a stud with a high floor and a high ceiling.  That's just pretty hard to pass on at #30.

I get it.  Now go help that Offense!
Guards can be found through free agency.  Studs hit the market at that position regularly.  And if the value at that position wasn't there with the run earlier, then why press it.  As you say, stud CBs are hard to find, rare in FA and very expensive.  so having a 1st rounder (and the extra year with it) to develop and be a stud in this defense for years to come, I am good with that.

As you say, the cupboard was bare for a long time. 

Vikes expect the teams on their horrific schedule to be pass happy.  They need ammo, and this is a young, fast reinforcement to that already strong secondary group.

From what little I saw, this kid can really go find the ball, and get his hands on it.  This had to be noticed.

I like him more than Isaiah Oliver.  Oliver reminds me of Quentin Rollins.  I'm not sure he has the mentality this team prefers in a prospect.

You can see that Hughes has superb body control, especially for A Defender.

Zimmer will not be apologizing for firming up an already elite and signature component of his roster.

How fast and how much he plays will be helped along by his outstanding traits.  Danielle Hunter got far more snaps his rookie year than expected.  I think well over 600.  It was not because he had figured a whole lot of things out.  He was just the guy who could get the job done.

I see Hughes the same way.  I'm not sure Connor Williams beats out anyone to start.