Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sherels re-signs 1 year contract w/Vikings
Just for comparison.

The Eagles signed Patrick Robinson last year for 775K and had Kenjon Barner for 568K.

Robinson played fantastic at corner.  Barner returned punts good enough.

Sherels cost the Vikings 2 mil last year.

So yeah, I am kind of partial to trying to find a corner that they may get lucky with.

As it stands now, they are likely to bring back Newman for one year.

I expect Newman to be around 2.5 to 3 mil and Sherels to come in about 1 to 1.5 mil.

Meanwhile, the Browns signed EJ Gaines to a 1 year 4 mil deal.

Ross Cockrell signed a 2 yr 6.8 mil deal with the Panthers.  He played well last year too.

Hopefully, the Vikings will take a look at Bashaud Breeland but he will likely be too pricey.

Not sure if there is anyone out there that they can get for Robinson money.

3500 career return yards, 5 return TD's, tough as nails, doesnt like to fair catch, has one fumble lost in 364 punt catches, and teammates say he rarely makes mistakes and is one of the best in the league at what he does. If thats not worth a roster spot and half a percent of salary cap I dont know what is. 

Quote: @quattrovike said:
doesnt like to fair catch
I don't necessarily agree with that.  While I believe he's taken more chances the last few seasons with attempts, he's been smart about when and when not to try.  Still, compared to current and past leading punt return men in the league his ratio of attempts/fc is rather high.  That isn't really a knock on him though as it seems to work for him.  Earlier in his career I'd often get upset when he'd fc with a lot of room. 

I guess my point is, a guy that "doesn't like to fair catch" doesn't fair catch very often.  An example of that would be like Dexter McCluster and Golden Tate in '13.  They had att:fc ratios of 58:11 and 51:14 respectively compared to Sherels' 22:27.  Marcus was the only primary punt returner to fair catch more than attempt that season.  In general he's been pretty close to 50-50 each season (except for '15 when it was 34:15) and that's not overly common.

Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
@quattrovike said:
doesnt like to fair catch
I don't necessarily agree with that.  While I believe he's taken more chances the last few seasons with attempts, he's been smart about when and when not to try.  Still, compared to current and past leading punt return men in the league his ratio of attempts/fc is rather high.  That isn't really a knock on him though as it seems to work for him.  Earlier in his career I'd often get upset when he'd fc with a lot of room. 

I guess my point is, a guy that "doesn't like to fair catch" doesn't fair catch very often.  An example of that would be like Dexter McCluster and Golden Tate in '13.  They had att:fc ratios of 58:11 and 51:14 respectively compared to Sherels' 22:27.  Marcus was the only primary punt returner to fair catch more than attempt that season.  In general he's been pretty close to 50-50 each season (except for '15 when it was 34:15) and that's not overly common.
I agree he had some issues early on about when to fc and when not to,  but the last 4 years or so he has been much better at it.  It's not all on him either,   it's got a lot to do with how the other 10 guys set him up as well as how the opposition kicks him.  Sometimes the punter hangs one and kind of forces your hand.