@"JimmyinSD" said:
2@"Bolstad79" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"Bolstad79" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Vikeshrink" said:
@"badgervike" said:
I know the Republicans and Trump ran on repealing and replacing but the reality is that it's almost impossible to take away entitlements...particularly given the liberal bent of the MSM.  How many articles have been written about loss of coverage and how many people would DIE because of the potential replacement bills.  The ACA is in a death spiral with coverage options going away and costs spiraling.  As that spiral continues this year, those issues will become even more profound.  Some early projections for 2018 include total loss of coverage in some areas and increases in costs by 100% or more.  This has been pure political theatre...any fair minded individual will tell you the ACA is a bad piece of legislation with its coverage mandates and total lack of cost reduction and options in the bill.  My personal opinion is that it is a law that was always intended to fail....

Access to quality, affordable healthcare is not an
entitlement, it’s essential for human dignity and is necessary to promote the
general welfare for you, me and all of our fellow citizens.  
If the ACA fails it will be due to two things (in my view).  The first is because as you point out, it failed to address the cost of healthcare (which is unbelievably out of control).  The second would be due to the refusal by red states to participate--a strategy, by the way that was both brilliant and corrupt on the Republican's part.  
1) Refuse to participate in the design, development and rollout, 
2) Bemoan it's shortcomings to your voters to undermine the credibility of the program so as to
3) Drive down consumer participation to make it insolvent.
4) Point to the outcome that you helped create as proof that it wasn't going to work anyway.
The results in the blue states make me damn grateful that my red state abstained.  I feel sorry for Minnesotans and what the ACA has done to their health care costs.

As far as dignity...where's the dignity in getting unearned  things off the hard work of others?
Please don't worry about us Minnesotans, I honestly wish states had more control with issues like this.

Agreed. Minnesota is doing just fine thank you very much. I have no problem contributing to others getting access to healthcare. The health of the nation is dependent on the health of the people. Some people argue that they don't like paying towards education because they don't have kids. Personally, I would rather have less stupid people around. Some people argue against social programs or the amount of defense spending. We definitely need to address the overcharging of insurance, hospitals and big pharma. Also out ranking in healthcare versus cost because as a nation we are lower than we should be.
thats funny because i spent a few days with some minnesota business people last week and they werent singing the same tune regarding health care costs in minnesota and the monsterous rate hikes your state has seen in the last couple years.

just curious,  for those of you saying things are just rosy in minnesota regarding health care costs.... how much of your insurance premiums do you personally pay vs your employer/state?
I guess it sucks to be them, but I consider My health care to be part of my salary, and my employer hasn't put the cost on me.

But again don't worry about us in Minnesota, were doing fine.

So you don't pay for your healthcare out of pocket...I see.  
I also took a job for less pay because it offered health care. You see? It's part of my salary o r do you not agree.
i dont care how you want to justify it,  your health care costs in minny are shitty and getting shittier under what is called the "affordable" care act.  and I dont care how you look at the costs,  but if you were writingt that check for the premiums you would see it, and would likely be more upset about it,  but hey,  you switched jobs to take a pay cut in order to get your increasing insurance costs covered... sure sounds to me like you are doing alright under obama care.
I didn't switch jobs, I just included benefits in my salary when taking a job, I have friends that get to say they make more than me but there benefits are not as good as mine and in the end I get to bank more than them. 

When people start fleeing the state of Minnesota, that's when you should start worrying. But as of now this Blue state seems to be taking care of itself ok.
It wasn't to many years ago that businesses (jobs) were fleeing your state to get away from the crazy  taxation.  If expenses keep rising that may happen again.
And yet are state is doing really well.

https://www.forbes.com/places/mn/
Give it time.10 to 20 years ago sioux falls was atop  that list because of all the businesses that were leaving minny for SD and other less taxing places.  And the cities in minny had no money to fix their infrastructure because the tax income was shit.  You can't tax the money out of the economy and expect to maintain or increase spending.  Economy 101.

Here's one strong argument about why free markets are not always the best mechanism to deliver health care.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/...d-epidemic

I've been saying this for years.  There are a thousand ways to become a millionaire in America.  Healthcare should not be one of them.  It should be non profit across the board.  Does government screw up everything it touches?  Most everything.  They do a pretty good job with the highways and with the military.