Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peters to the Rams
Quote: @"mblack" said:
Hmmm, weren't a few of us 'mad' at Rick for not picking Peters?
I wanted Peters. More specifically, I wanted to trade down a few spots and take Peters. I thought he was the best corner in the draft. But taking Waynes at 11 didn't make me "mad."

See, this is a problem I have with internet communication...hell, ALL communication. Too many see things in binary. Everything has "sides." If you liked Peters, it must mean you hated Waynes. If you like Teddy, you hate Keenum. If you want common sense gun regulation, you want to come get my deer rifle. It's all just batshit.

Anyway, that was not the case with me. I liked Waynes a lot. He was handsy and he didn't play with the level of swagger that Peters did, but he was so fast and tackled well for his size. Been watching the draft for 40 years, and I'd never seen a more jaw-dropping burst of speed than I saw in Waynes.

I've been pissn and moaning about Waynes over Peters for some time now...I've certainly softened on the stance about Trae, but can't help but wonder how Peters might have evolved over time with Zimmer and JG coaching him up. 

Oh well, I've moved on and Waynes/XR is about a good a combo for the Vikings I can remember. Ranks up there with a couple of Burnsie D's and Grant in the 70's had a few nice cb combo's too. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
I've been pissn and moaning about Waynes over Peters for some time now...I've certainly softened on the stance about Trae, but can't help but wonder how Peters might have evolved over time with Zimmer and JG coaching him up. 

Oh well, I've moved on and Waynes/XR is about a good a combo for the Vikings I can remember. Ranks up there with a couple of Burnsie D's and Grant in the 70's had a few nice cb combo's too. 
Reggie Rutland, Carl Lee, and Issac Holt was a nice CB trio in 87-88. Really the last one till present. We had the same problem at safety though, a stud in browner and a lot of JAGS next to him.

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Reggie Rutland, Carl Lee, and Issac Holt was a nice CB trio in 87-88. Really the last one till present. We had the same problem at safety though, a stud in browner and a lot of JAGS next to him.
I was huge fans of Lee, Holt and Browner...Floyd Peters too for that matter. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"mblack" said:
Hmmm, weren't a few of us 'mad' at Rick for not picking Peters?
I wanted Peters. More specifically, I wanted to trade down a few spots and take Peters. I thought he was the best corner in the draft. But taking Waynes at 11 didn't make me "mad."

See, this is a problem I have with internet communication...hell, ALL communication. Too many see things in binary. Everything has "sides." If you liked Peters, it must mean you hated Waynes. If you like Teddy, you hate Keenum. If you want common sense gun regulation, you want to come get my deer rifle. It's all just batshit.

Anyway, that was not the case with me. I liked Waynes a lot. He was handsy and he didn't play with the level of swagger that Peters did, but he was so fast and tackled well for his size. Been watching the draft for 40 years, and I'd never seen a more jaw-dropping burst of speed than I saw in Waynes.
Well said.  It isn't always so black and white.

Not a draft nut, so I usually don't have an opinion before we pick.  But what I saw out of Peters in his pro career, no thanks.  Talent but no discipline.  Teams don't trade away shut down corners (other than Synders).  Peters plays for himself, not the team.  No surprise Zimmer didn't want him.

As to Waynes, he does have incredible closing speed.  He can look beat and recover in a few steps.  I can see why Zimmer wanted that raw talent.