Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings now have #2 defense in NFL and #5 offense
D is first in 3rd Down %
O is tied for first in 3rd Down %

D getting off the field, O staying on the field

9th in points scored.
I have seen other teams boards metion the lack of production of the Vikings often stating that they are a mediocre offense.  I think they tend to play to the level of their opponent...take over the time of possesion game and post another win.  
Perhaps it is part of why they are ranked number 1 in the NFC yet seem to be flying under many people’s radar including most of the pundits.

Quote: @"Poiple" said:
9th in points scored.
I have seen other teams boards metion the lack of production of the Vikings often stating that they are a mediocre offense.  I think they tend to play to the level of their opponent...take over the time of possesion game and post another win.  
Perhaps it is part of why they are ranked number 1 in the NFC yet seem to be flying under many people’s radar including most of the pundits.
I disagree.  I think they do what is necessary to win.  As Pete talked about in the post game report that Tom posted, coming down to the end of the game and we are driving.  But once we get a first down and can kneel it to end the game, that is what we do.  Most coaches would have likely punched that in to build some stats or for good feelings.  But our coaches see that the game is over and just end it.  No personal glory, just another hard fought win.

And other thing, Atlanta had a pretty good D.  And it was in Atlanta.  So our game plan was to run the ball.  Not glamorous, but we did it well enough to win.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Poiple" said:
9th in points scored.
I disagree.  I think they do what is necessary to win.  As Pete talked about in the post game report that Tom posted, coming down to the end of the game and we are driving.  But once we get a first down and can kneel it to end the game, that is what we do.  Most coaches would have likely punched that in to build some stats or for good feelings.  But our coaches see that the game is over and just end it.  No personal glory, just another hard fought win.

And other thing, Atlanta had a pretty good D.  And it was in Atlanta.  So our game plan was to run the ball.  Not glamorous, but we did it well enough to win.
Most coaches would take a Knee, I can't think of a coach that would risk a turnover when the games over.  

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Poiple" said:
9th in points scored.

Hi Greed.  Well imagree they do what is needed to win.  But only what is needed.  They dont seem to be interested in getting up 21 on someone.  It seems there is a somewhat perceptable shift in play calling to an efficiency of steadily moving the ball and eating the clock.  A bit more running and more underneath routes. It seems like they could start it as early as the third quarter.  The next thing you know its near the end of the fourth and the other team has run out of time.  I noticed it a few weeks ago and it seems to hold up in each game.  

I dont think this team will beat many teams by more than 10 points.  It doesn’t seem to be the strategy.  It seems that they put the brakes on gently and keep them on if its third quarter and they are up 7-10 points. They are astoundingly good at protecting the ball and eating up time.

If you want to hear the Vikings getting props, you should have heard Golic and Wingo Monday morning.  Wingo and guest Jeff Saturday were already in on the Vikings last week, and Golic called the Atlanta win the most impressive in the league this weekend. Oh, and Case Keenum was on the phone for a cliche-filled call in the last hour  B)

Best thing about Trey Wingo... now I don't have to waste an hour on Monday mornings hearing about the $*&$% Jets  :p