Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings now have #2 defense in NFL and #5 offense
Unreal.

VikingUpdate.com‏ @VikingUpdate 4m4 minutes ago
More
The #Vikings now have the No. 2 defense in the #NFL, 2nd vs. rush and 10th vs. pass. Their offense is 5th -- 6th rushing, 13th passing. Pittsburgh, which plays tonight, is 7th on offense and 3rd on defense.

Exactly why we should be enjoying the hell out of this season and upcoming playoffs. It may or may not end the way we hope, but the team absolutely has the ability to hang with any team in the NFL. Was listening to Leber on KFAN this morning and he was saying this team is over-flowing with confidence right now. So much so, that on the sidelines, if the record was reversed, you'd think this team was mailing it in. They don't get phased if something doesn't go their way, the shrug it off and talk about it on the sidelines, then move on and play better the next series. I'm paraphrasing, but think I hit what Leber was mostly saying.

I have a habit of going to other team’s message boards days before and after the games.

The really surprising thing is that even at 10-2 and number seed, people refuse to believe they are that good. They find reasons to overlook the Vikes at every turn.  Many on the Iggles boards would rather play the Vikes than any of the other top NFC teams.

Its astounding that at this point the Vikes are still sneaking up on them.

Quote: @Poiple said:
I have a habit of going to other team’s message boards days before and after the games.

The really surprising thing is that even at 10-2 and number seed, people refuse to believe they are that good. They find reasons to overlook the Vikes at every turn.  Many on the Iggles boards would rather play the Vikes than any of the other top NFC teams.

Sneaking up on them? The Vikes have surpassed them. 

Quote: @Poiple said:

Well I am sure Eagles fans don't want to play Seattle...

#2 defense in the NFL is pretty freaking awesome. What's really bizarre about that is that the Vikings defense is bottom third in fantasy defense, which means the defense is not getting a ton of sacks, DTDs, picks and fumble recoveries. As a fantasy defense, they're not even worth owning. Is it because we've played a lot of efficient QBs and offenses that don't risk anything? I'm not sure what to make of it, other than scoring defenses are often a result of luck, of the ball bouncing the right way. It begs the question: what happens if this defense actually starts getting some bounces?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
#2 defense in the NFL is pretty freaking awesome. What's really bizarre about that is that the Vikings defense is bottom third in fantasy defense, which means the defense is not getting a ton of sacks, DTDs, picks and fumble recoveries. As a fantasy defense, they're not even worth owning. Is it because we've played a lot of efficient QBs and offenses that don't risk anything? I'm not sure what to make of it, other than scoring defenses are often a result of luck, of the ball bouncing the right way. It begs the question: what happens if this defense actually starts getting some bounces?
Hoping those start bouncing in January.

You are spot on.  Good defenses create those opportunities, but either they bounce the right way or the wrong way in bunches.  Teams are so afraid of our D they won't take shots downfield, they don't give us a chance to get sacks and so we just shut the offense down and take the win. 

Bottom line, our players play as a team.  They don't take unnecessary risks for personal glory.

That was one of my concerns last season. It seemed like we were scoring on defense quite a bit early on. I figured that it would not last for a whole season. It didn't. Then the O-line ...
But this year, the defense is playing solid, fundamental defense and not giving up big plays. And the offense is scoring.  Just need the kicking game to step up.

THE ZIM REAPERS ARE BACK!!!

& against a lot of teams with winning records too