Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better Offseason Signing? Reiff or Keenum?
Reiff has this T.Day game circled on his wall calendar.   Yeah, he still uses wall calendars.

Reiff IMO.

Drafting Elflein was huge as well. He's been a massive improvement and helped the OL as much as Reiff.

How about from a play calling perspective? Keenum can seemingly run a wide open playbook. He can run 3 step drops, he can do 5... he can go shotgun and stand in there. 

Its easier for Shurmar to go full throttle with the playcalls, and easier for Keenum to establish the rhythm, when Reiff has been a wall on the left side. We can do what we want, when we want, and rarely need to scheme protection to the blindside. Shurmar can scheme and attack defenses how he wants and Keenum is comfortable and can get into a groove.

Put in an average or below average guy there at LT, and we probably can't run such a WR heavy passing attack. Or at least execute them as consistantly as we are now. There are probably more 3rd and longs and punts. More plays instantly collapsing where we are forced into bad situations or into 4th downs. 

Reiff certainly makes Shurmars job calling plays smoother.

I could settle on Case being "MVP" as his stats, his play, his position (hey, he touches the ball every play), coming off the bench after some bad injuries and little hope. Its hard to imagine any other guy leading this team to where we are at. Promising players get a shot and wash out of the league all of the time. Every team in the league has a guy with "potential" who dont create their own oppertunities. 

Reiff will be a cornerstone for playcalling and whoever is under center for years to come. He's the "better signing" on those conditions i'd say. If/when Teddy/Sam hit the field again, we'll be thankful he's playing LT. We'll rest easy all offseason about the QB protection, and hopefully this level of play simply carries over to next year.

Quote: @"BlackMagic7" said:
Reiff's performance against Quinn was eye opening for sure. He took a great season to another level last Sunday.

When Keenum drops back, reads and throws, Reiff is the rock that makes it work. Protecting the blind side, hes a major reason Keenum can stay in there and make reads.

I think Keenum has a natural ability to overcome rushers. He can slip behind blockers and slide into open lanes very well. 

Keenum has an ability to over come Reiff not being there. Put in a TJ Clemmings in there, I think Keenum still makes a lot of the houdini plays he has, but he probably doesnt become such a consistent passer. There are stretches now where the protection is unbelievable. Take that away, and Keenum naturally has a tougher time play to play to play...

Reiff has been an absolute stud at LT.
This is an excellent point...I feared Quinn almost as much as Donald...Quinn put up a milk carton worthy performance...

We've got a bunch of erasers on this team...Reiff erases your RDE...Rhodes erases your #1 WR...Linval erases your rushing attack...

On one play against the Rams....Case had a full 9 seconds to hold the ball...9 seconds.  We sat and laughed about it and talked about it....while the play was still going on.

We had drives last year that didn't take 9 seconds off the clock.  Not to take away from Case,  but this line is  what is making this offense work IMO.