Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Gordon Says He Had Something in System for 'Probably Every Game' of Career
Quote: @Max said:
@Vikergirl said:
That wasn't the best statement to make but not at all surprised by him saying this. He clearly hasn't learned a thing. And some people wanted him on this team. I respect and appreciate the talent but I don't want to have that hot mess here. He pissed his talent and opportunities away and won't take responsibility for it. Nope don't want that. It's a risk reward scenario. But the risk outweighs any possible reward.
I disagree. Part of most substance abuse programs involves public admission of private wrongdoings. Many people get trapped in the cycle because, like he mentioned, nobody seemed to know how bad it was nor how he was doing it. He admitted way more than was generally known; people who are trying to hide tend to only admit small portions to appear contrite. By going through everything in a way that everyone knows it, you put more scrutiny on yourself to allow for better accountability. It's actually a biblical principle co-opted by treatment paradigms.

With all that said, I'd still prefer if he wasn't on the Vikings. I like the receivers they have right now.
Of course it's important to admit wrongdoings in order to move forward. Hopefully he gets his life together. Granted I don't have any issue with people smoking weed. That's their business but there can be consequences. But his reputation is so tarnished that it was a risk on his part. And would be more risk on a team's part. Maybe he finds something else to do with his life. Or maybe he gets another chance somewhere. But based on his body of work and past issues, it seems less likely. 

Another Rocket Surgeon

I applaud him for opening up about it.  Good to finally being honest and up front about it.   I'm sure the NFL already knew this.  And I often wonder how many other players are the same way during games.

my problem was his comment about players smoking weed before the game and how no one is talking about that. This just stinks to me. It is like he had to divert some of his coming clean to other players do this stuff and poor me I get in trouble for it.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
That wasn't the best statement to make but not at all surprised by him saying this. He clearly hasn't learned a thing. And some people wanted him on this team. I respect and appreciate the talent but I don't want to have that hot mess here. He pissed his talent and opportunities away and won't take responsibility for it. Nope don't want that. It's a risk reward scenario. But the risk outweighs any possible reward.
I think the opposite. It sounds to me like he's finally coming to terms with it. I'd rather have a guy admit to everything he's done. Probably pretty freeing.

Quote: @matt4787 said:
my problem was his comment about players smoking weed before the game and how no one is talking about that. 
shhh... the secret is... if you smoke enough of it right before kick-off... it's actually a performance enhancer!

He sounds like a guy that knows this is truly his last chance and he's got nothing to hide now. Let it all out and try and move forward. It'll be a battle for him. Too early to say he hasn't learned anything from this, it depends what he does from this time onward.

Pot is great for body pain after workout.
But, not if you want to play in The NFL.
As an occasional smoker in a very pot-friendly State, I am opposed to glamorizing or normalizing its use in pro ball.

Hide and sneak it like I did successfully for 20 years.