Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Vikings sign Rypien, waive Hall
(09-01-2024, 11:11 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: Yet it was this regime that drafted Hall. Sure, they might’ve come to the conclusion that he had no future in the league after seeing him for the past 18 months, but if he’s so bad that they’re willing to walk away already, why draft him in the first place?

Lol, you're essentially asking why they didn't use their time machine when drafting him to fast forward 18 months to see he wouldn't pan out. You draft  guys based on potential. They saw enough potential in his college tape to use a late round pick. They saw enough in 18 months to determine he wasn't progressing like they'd like and could move on. 31 other teams seemed to agree that he wasn't worth a roster spot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bigbone62's post:

(09-01-2024, 01:21 PM)comet52 Wrote: I think it's about the injury, actually.  I think Hall might be back at some point.

I agree with this. But I also felt Hall and Mullins showed enough last year to release them both. Neither seem to have the talent to be NFL starters. I do wonder if JJ hadn't been injured if they would have kept Mullins.

(09-01-2024, 11:11 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: Yet it was this regime that drafted Hall. Sure, they might’ve come to the conclusion that he had no future in the league after seeing him for the past 18 months, but if he’s so bad that they’re willing to walk away already, why draft him in the first place?

Why draft anyone in the first place? You make an evaluation and then you see what kind of pro they'll be. Teams walk away from draft picks every day.

(09-02-2024, 04:57 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Why draft anyone in the first place? You make an evaluation and then you see what kind of pro they'll be. Teams walk away from draft picks every day.

Drafting a QB on Day 3 isn’t the same as drafting any other position on Day 3. It’s generally accepted that QBs take longer to develop due to the complexity of the position.  That’s just common sense. Yet the team saw a fatal flaw in Hall’s game that made them walk away after having him in the facilities for only 16 months (assuming that his release wasn’t injury related). 

I’m just skeptical that whatever flaw it was didn’t show itself in his college film or during the draft evaluation process.

(09-02-2024, 09:42 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: Drafting a QB on Day 3 isn’t the same as drafting any other position on Day 3. It’s generally accepted that QBs take longer to develop due to the complexity of the position.  That’s just common sense. Yet the team saw a fatal flaw in Hall’s game that made them walk away after having him in the facilities for only 16 months (assuming that his release wasn’t injury related). 

I’m just skeptical that whatever flaw it was didn’t show itself in his college film or during the draft evaluation process.

But this is a Day 3 QB: they all have flaws. If they didn't, they'd be Day 1 QBs. Oh, and by the way, Day 1 QBs have flaws for the pro game as well. Imperfect science the Draft is. 

How long are you supposed to wait for a Day 3 QB to 'develop'? And what Day 3 QBs in the NFL go on to any kind of career at all? Brock Purdy is the only one I can think of and he showed out VERY quickly and they knew what they had. Hall turned out to be limited, is my guess. Limited in a way that would preclude winning with him as a QB2. And at the end of the day.....it's just QB3, you know? Its fun to discuss, but means little to the roster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post: