Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuuudge
No need to sigh Gilmore now, roll with the young guys that are on the roster. Get JJ back next season with cap space and a first round draft pick and make the north ours again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Greylock's post:

(08-14-2024, 10:49 AM)Greylock Wrote: No need to sigh Gilmore now, roll with the young guys that are on the roster.  Get JJ back next season with cap space and a first round draft pick and make the north ours again.

But why not? 

I am as bummed as anyone (ok not as much as Sticky) he's out, but the chances were slim to none JJM was going to start the season. 

Nothing has changed there. The DB room still looks weak so nothing changed there.  

I would have put the odds at 25% JJM was going to do anything more in 2024 more than observe, practice, listen and learn. Heck, I assumed Reichard and/or Turner was going to have more impact on the 24 Vikings than JJM was. 

Players still want to win and KOC/KAM have contract extensions on the horizon, they want (need) to win too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(08-14-2024, 11:49 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: But why not? 

I am as bummed as anyone (ok not as much as Sticky) he's out, but the chances were slim to none JJM was going to start the season. 

Nothing has changed there. The DB room still looks weak so nothing changed there.  

I would have put the odds at 25% JJM was going to do anything more in 2024 more than observe, practice, listen and learn. Heck, I assumed Reichard and/or Turner was going to have more impact on the 24 Vikings than JJM was. 

Players still want to win and KOC/KAM have contract extensions on the horizon, they want (need) to win too.

JJM was definitely on course to see snaps by at least the 2nd half of the season unless Darnold was other worldly.   If they repair his cartilage, he will be out significantly longer but with a better end result, so it's kinda hard to root for anything other than the tear being very small.

(08-14-2024, 12:23 PM)Waterboy Wrote: JJM was definitely on course to see snaps by at least the 2nd half of the season unless Darnold was other worldly.   If they repair his cartilage, he will be out significantly longer but with a better end result, so it's kinda hard to root for anything other than the tear being very small.

You could very well be right. 

But we'll most likely never know unless things go very differently under the knife than how I think they'll go.

Either way, I dont see how JJM being out leads them to conclude not to sign Gilmore. I dont think the 2 are related.

Well, at least we have our THREE picks in next years draft...POSSIBLY a 3rd round comp. to look forward to. SARC

A full repair only makes sense for a 21 year old. No 21 year old should choose to have a fifty year old knee for the sake of rushing back. This is the smart move. He should have a more comprehensive understanding of the offense and be even better when he returns.
Most here said he shouldn't play this year anyway! Sure sucks to have hope destroyed for this year; but I think they still have a chance for an upward trending season and may surprise some people. They have a lot of good players.

(08-15-2024, 09:26 PM)hogjowlsjohnny Wrote: A full repair only makes sense for a 21 year old. No 21 year old should choose to have a fifty year old knee for the sake of rushing back. This is the smart move. He should have a more comprehensive understanding of the offense and be even better when he returns.
Most here said he shouldn't play this year anyway! Sure sucks to have hope destroyed for this year; but I think they still have a chance for an upward trending season and may surprise some people. They have a lot of good players.

With the play caller, the line, the weapons, etc. they could bring in Josh Freeman and be competitive on offense. It's the defense that is the unknown in my opinion. It wouldn't surprise me to see the defense take a step back after losing Hunter. It also wouldn't surprise me if Flores has them in the top 5.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(08-16-2024, 08:11 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: With the play caller, the line, the weapons, etc. they could bring in Josh Freeman and be competitive on offense. It's the defense that is the unknown in my opinion. It wouldn't surprise me to see the defense take a step back after losing Hunter. It also wouldn't surprise me if Flores has them in the top 5.

I have a lot of confidence in Flores and expect improvement. However the loss of Kyree's potential and the weaknesses at corner are going to be amplified if they can't generate pressure up front. They need at least one cb, who is good at man coverage in Flores' scheme. I also have concerns about the interior line stopping the run.
On offense I'm still optimistic, but concerned Darnold may not improve. If  anyone can bring him around it would be KOC.
I'm bullish on the coaching staff and a decent roster. The problem as usual, are the weaknesses and depth at certain positions.