Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB Gilmore Visiting Vikings
Surprised this didn't happen immediately after Khyree Jackson died

Does this signing mean the Vikings are feeling really good about our team this season? Are Darnold and JJ giving the coaching staff confidence that we might have a squad capable of competing for the division? I don't think you sign a Gilmore if you're looking at this being a transition year where you're getting a bunch of young guys experience to have them primed for next year and beyond...
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

(08-11-2024, 07:44 AM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Does this signing mean the Vikings are feeling really good about our team this season? Are Darnold and JJ giving the coaching staff confidence that we might have a squad capable of competing for the division? I don't think you sign a Gilmore if you're looking at this being a transition year where you're getting a bunch of young guys experience to have them primed for next year and beyond...

I like where your head is at.

(08-11-2024, 07:44 AM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Does this signing mean the Vikings are feeling really good about our team this season?  Are Darnold and JJ giving the coaching staff confidence that we might have a squad capable of competing for the division?  I don't think you sign a Gilmore if you're looking at this being a transition year where you're getting a bunch of young guys experience to have them primed for next year and beyond...

Either that or we just desperately need another corner. Gilmore could come in and immediately be our top corner but I hope people aren't expecting that. He's not the corner he once was.

(08-11-2024, 09:44 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Either that or we just desperately need another corner. Gilmore could come in and immediately be our top corner but I hope people aren't expecting that. He's not the corner he once was.

My perspective is that we desperately need another QUALITY corner

(08-11-2024, 09:59 AM)Montana Tom Wrote: My perspective is that we desperately need another QUALITY corner

Mine too...I think the rest of the pre-season will just cement my opinion. Not to be too much of a downer, but not having many draft picks next year wont help.

Why not? Some starters were sitting of course but OConnell and Minshew carved us up yesterday. That’s… not promising. Especially considering how bad the secondary was last year.

I like that they’re working him out. He’s probably cooked but maybe not. Pat Pete was a wisened old vet and was solid for us for a couple seasons recently.

(08-11-2024, 05:17 PM)pattersaur Wrote: Why not? Some starters were sitting of course but OConnell and Minshew carved us up yesterday. That’s… not promising. Especially considering how bad the secondary was last year.

I like that they’re working him out. He’s probably cooked but maybe not. Pat Pete was a wisened old vet and was solid for us for a couple seasons recently.

True, but we landed Peterson when he was 31. Gilmore will be 34 in September. Peterson just turned 34 in July. I think Gilmore was a more effective CB at 33 than Peterson was at 33, but still....34 is REALLY old for a CB. 

That said, I 100% hope we sign him. We desperately need some quality CB depth among our top 3 or 4 corners, and I think he definitely qualifies as that. And who knows, maybe he can defy age. Darrell Green and Charles Woodson were able to play well into their mid-to-late 30s...