Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilfs will wait for 2024 to unfold first...
(08-07-2024, 11:54 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I disagree. I think KAM is thought of a level down then where the Wilfs have KOC. I absolutely could see them extend O'Connell and not KAM.

I’m trying to think of a time when the GM was fired but the HC was retained. I’m coming up empty. It’s not a frequent scenario.

(08-07-2024, 12:35 PM)Knucklehead Wrote: I’m trying to think of a time when the GM was fired but the HC was retained. I’m coming up empty. It’s not a frequent scenario.

No doubt, but although KAM was hired before KOC, it was only 3 weeks. And the Wilfs and the organization had targeted O'Connell LONG before Kwesi was hired. Kevin was rumored to be the lead candidate in Minnesota for quite some time. So its not your traditional 'GM hires HIS guy and is tied to that HC's success', or in this case the reverse really. In fact, I sincerely doubt KAM would have been hired if he didn't get behind the organization's consensus of O'Connell.

We'll find out.

Well other than that one year with Brett Favre they've been waiting 20 years to field a real contender, I'm sure those bozos can wait another year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes comet52's post:

(08-07-2024, 04:10 PM)comet52 Wrote: Well other than that one year with Brett Favre they've been waiting 20 years to field a real contender, I'm sure those bozos can wait another year.

2017 was a good team
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(08-07-2024, 04:37 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I don't think KOC plans on 'laying down', but if you think the team has pushed all their chips in for this year with Sam Darnold starting, that's not accurate. This is a transition year, zero doubt about it. I don't think the Wilfs not extending KOC and KAM right now is any indication of how they feel. They love KOC. What they wanted was Cousins on a one or two year contract and mentor a young QB. That didn't happen. And Cousins just said yesterday that if he knew what Atlanta was going to do with Penix, he would have given more consideration to staying in Minnesota. Contrary to some optimism here, I think undoubtedly Darnold is going to fail at some point. Then we'll see where things go from there.

2025 is the year. Bottom line. Cap space. Another Draft. Fingers crossed: JJM starting.

(08-07-2024, 09:02 AM)FLVike Wrote: Well I'm not arguing with your assessment and it absolutely sounds reasonable. One thing I know is that this game is not played on paper and most games come down to just a couple of plays and calls. I think the Lions and the Packers are not going to be as good as most think.
I also think the only difference between you and me is; I am picking us to make the playoffs and you're not.

I don’t think “Laying Down” and “Pushing all your chips in” is on the same spectrum here.  To me, “Pushing all your chips in” means the GM is spending a lot of money on expensive free agents that are here to win a SB now before the window closes.  You’re stealing resources from the future to win now.  “Laying Down”?  I don’t really know what that means.  Tanking?  Giving up?  I fully expect the team to play as hard as it can, but we could definitely have a better roster in 2024 if we were more short-sighted.  Would it give us a SB?  Probably not.  You need to have a SB caliber QB, and we have more hopes and dreams than something you can rely on at QB right.  Roster-wise we’re definitely building more for 2025 than we were for 2024.

(08-07-2024, 04:15 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: 2017 was a good team

I didn't say it wasn't. But Case and his horseshoe and Grumpy Zim were never contenders. They were pretenders.