Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilfs will wait for 2024 to unfold first...
Vikings owner Mark Wilf ‘excited’ about team, but extensions for Kevin O’Connell, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah have to wait

Vikings co-owner Mark Wilf says he’s happy with the status of a changing rosterand the direction of the team in Year 3 under general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and head coach Kevin O’Connell.

But Wilf said Tuesday that the Vikings ownership group wants to wait and see how the 2024 season unfolds before beginning contract extension talks with Adofo-Mensah and O’Connell. They are believed to be on four-year contracts that expire after the 2025 season.

“We’re very excited about the direction,” Wilf told local reporters at TCO Performance Center, “about coach O’Connell and Kwesi and the leadership they’ve brought our organization and our culture. … It’s not something we’re talking about at this point on terms of that. We’re focusing on the season ahead.”

Since Adofo-Mensah and O’Connell were hired in 2022 to replace former general manager Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer, the Vikings are 20-14 with one playoff appearance. Last year, injuries to key players undercut the franchise’s third losing season in the past four years.

But the Vikings owner underlined the importance of workplace chemistry in an ultra-competitive business, and how Adofo-Mensah and O’Connell have shifted the vibes at Vikings headquarters.

“It’s a real good feeling around here,” Wilf said.

Since catching lightning in a bottle with a veteran-laden team and 13-4 record in 2023, Adofo-Mensah has overseen dramatic turnover on the depth chart.

Newly gone this offseason are quarterback Kirk Cousins and edge rusher Danielle Hunter, ushering in even more of a youth movement for a team with this year’s youngest first-round rookie quarterback in J.J. McCarthy, who turned 21 in January. Journeyman quarterback Sam Darnold is the frontrunner to start Week 1.

So, what would success look like for the Vikings this season?

“Every year pretty much our goals never waver: to compete and win divisions, ultimately win Super Bowl championships,” Wilf said. “We know we’re in a tough division. But I know coach O’Connell is getting everybody ready. We think our roster is in a good spot. Of course, we’ve had the issues we’ve had with the tragedy and some injury stuff. But overall, I think our roster is in a good place.”

In the NFC North, the Vikings’ opponents appear on the upswing between two highly-paid quarterbacks in the Lions’ Jared Goff and Packers’ Jordan Love, as well as the Bears’ selection of No. 1 overall quarterback Caleb Williams.

“We’re up for the challenge,” Wilf said of the division. “Expectations are fine one way or another. But in the end, we’ve got to prove it on the field.”

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-owne.../600861551

I like their perspective. Results driven. Way it should be.

Yes, I read this the other day. There won't be any laying down and planning for 2025. This is the season that counts and all my chips have already been pushed in.

(08-06-2024, 10:41 PM)FLVike Wrote: Yes, I read this the other day. There won't be any laying down and planning for 2025. This is the season that counts and all my chips have already been pushed in.

I don't think KOC plans on 'laying down', but if you think the team has pushed all their chips in for this year with Sam Darnold starting, that's not accurate. This is a transition year, zero doubt about it. I don't think the Wilfs not extending KOC and KAM right now is any indication of how they feel. They love KOC. What they wanted was Cousins on a one or two year contract and mentor a young QB. That didn't happen. And Cousins just said yesterday that if he knew what Atlanta was going to do with Penix, he would have given more consideration to staying in Minnesota. Contrary to some optimism here, I think undoubtedly Darnold is going to fail at some point. Then we'll see where things go from there.

2025 is the year. Bottom line. Cap space. Another Draft. Fingers crossed: JJM starting.
[-] The following 3 users Like StickierBuns's post:

Extending both KOC & Kwesi became a foregone conclusion when we drafted a QB in the first round. You don't draft a QB, establish a plan for that QBs development & then change course entirely by bringing in a new regime. Doesn't make any sense.

The Wilfs can pay lip service & talk about waiting to see how this season develops but they know that it's in the franchise's best interest to get both extensions done.
[-] The following 3 users Like Knucklehead's post:

Smart to wait. Both will likely be extended but crazier disasters have happened. Who knows, come January KO and Kwesi may not be on speaking terms Tongue

(08-07-2024, 06:48 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: Extending both KOC & Kwesi became a foregone conclusion when we drafted a QB in the first round. You don't draft a QB, establish a plan for that QBs development & then change course entirely by bringing in a new regime. Doesn't make any sense.

The Wilfs can pay lip service & talk about waiting to see how this season develops but they know that it's in the franchise's best interest to get both extensions done.

I could see a scenario where they extend KOC and make a change at GM.  Kwesi has had his struggles.  I don't see a scenario where they don't extend KOC.  He's a rah rah team building kind of guy...the Wilf's will give him time with his brand new 21 year old protege.

(08-07-2024, 04:37 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I don't think KOC plans on 'laying down', but if you think the team has pushed all their chips in for this year with Sam Darnold starting, that's not accurate. This is a transition year, zero doubt about it. I don't think the Wilfs not extending KOC and KAM right now is any indication of how they feel. They love KOC. What they wanted was Cousins on a one or two year contract and mentor a young QB. That didn't happen. And Cousins just said yesterday that if he knew what Atlanta was going to do with Penix, he would have given more consideration to staying in Minnesota. Contrary to some optimism here, I think undoubtedly Darnold is going to fail at some point. Then we'll see where things go from there.

2025 is the year. Bottom line. Cap space. Another Draft. Fingers crossed: JJM starting.

Well I'm not arguing with your assessment and it absolutely sounds reasonable. One thing I know is that this game is not played on paper and most games come down to just a couple of plays and calls. I think the Lions and the Packers are not going to be as good as most think.
I also think the only difference between you and me is; I am picking us to make the playoffs and you're not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FLVike's post:

(08-07-2024, 08:54 AM)badgervike Wrote: I could see a scenario where they extend KOC and make a change at GM.  Kwesi has had his struggles.  I don't see a scenario where they don't extend KOC.  He's a rah rah team building kind of guy...the Wilf's will give him time with his brand new 21 year old protege.

I see Kwesi & KOC tied at the hip. A new GM will most likely want to bring in their own HC. If you interview GM candidates & tell them upfront that a condition of accepting the position is that KOC remains as the HC, that will narrow the pool of interested candidates.

(08-07-2024, 11:38 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: I see Kwesi & KOC tied at the hip. A new GM will most likely want to bring in their own HC. If you interview GM candidates & tell them upfront that a condition of accepting the position is that KOC remains as the HC, that will narrow the pool of interested candidates.

I disagree. I think KAM is thought of a level down then where the Wilfs have KOC. I absolutely could see them extend O'Connell and not KAM.