Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
First depth chart of year.
I mentioned this in another thread but I'm 100% convinced that the team wants Hall on the roster for the 2025 season as only JJM & Hall will have knowledge of the offense.

Darnold is on a one year deal. Mullens is on the final year of his deal & unlikely to stick around.

Ideally, Hall could be stashed on the PS for the entire season. But remember, even Kellen Mond was claimed when the team waived him in the final cut down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knucklehead's post:

(08-06-2024, 09:25 PM)hogjowlsjohnny Wrote: Mullens has been the guy with the notebook and headset who discusses what the defense is doing and who was open etc. when kirk was here. Although he wasn't playing he was involved in the game. He is qualified to continue that role, but it may be a better learning experience for JJ be in that position. I expect JJ to be the backup and Mullens to be gone when the season starts.

You're probably right that he can fill this role because he did it last year, but only last year for us. Before that it was Mannion lol. This team and backup QBs who can't win football games but are great in the coaches room, name a more iconic duo.

(08-06-2024, 10:38 PM)FLVike Wrote: I'm trying to figure what a good GM would offer for Mullens. Well, if he doesn't view any tape and he doesn't  look at the stats,........hmm,

He's a QB. Experienced, no-talent QBs get traded all the time. Mullens could step right into a QB2 role on probably most teams. That has value. Don't think the Vikings will trade him though.

On the depth chart, the only surprising thing is no real surprises. The only thing noteworthy to me was Muse over Tonyan maybe? And just how incredibly thin we still are at CB. We could really use a starter to at least compete with the top 4. Right now, Fabian Moreau, whoever that is, is our CB4.

(08-07-2024, 09:41 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: On the depth chart, the only surprising thing is no real surprises. The only thing noteworthy to me was Muse over Tonyan maybe? And just how incredibly thin we still are at CB. We could really use a starter to at least compete with the top 4. Right now, Fabian Moreau, whoever that is, is our CB4.

My "unofficial" surprise is Booth listed as CB5 despite the numerous camp reports telling us that his tenure in Minnesota is soon coming to an end.

The press can get it, sometimes.
===============================================
Why can’t the Vikings just name a backup quarterback?

The Vikings released their first depth chart of training camp on Tuesday, confirming a lot of what they have already told us (and what we already knew) in the past couple weeks.

Veteran Aaron Jones is the No. 1 running back. Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison are at the top of the receiver depth chart. There aren’t any huge surprises along the offensive or defensive lines.

And of course, veteran Sam Darnold is listed atop the quarterback depth chart.

The Vikings, though, deprived us (at least temporarily) from the one kernel of information we thought we might get from the depth chart.

Is it rookie J.J. McCarthy, the QB of the future? Is it Nick Mullens, the gunslinger who has appeared in nine games (including three starts) over the past two seasons with the Vikings?

Nope, the Vikings aren’t telling us that. They have their reasons, as I talked about on Wednesday’s Daily Delivery podcast, but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating or silly to see “McCarthy or Mullens” listed below Darnold and above second-year QB Jaren Hall.

Again, I understand the reason they did it. It goes like this:

If the Vikings would have listed McCarthy as the No. 2 QB on the depth chart — even an unofficial one in training camp — it would have signaled a certain progress. They wouldn’t have been beholden to it once the regular season started, but the No. 2 QB is only one injury away from hopping into a game.

The Vikings have been very clear that they aren’t going to rush McCarthy onto the field or jeopardize his development, so even naming him the No. 2 QB would have implications.

But naming McCarthy the No. 3 QB on the depth chart also would have sent a message, implied or not, that he still has a long way to go. It might have been the most honest answer; it also would have put some fans into a panic.

Most of Kevin O’Connell’s job with McCarthy is helping him become the best possible QB he can be, but a part of the job along the way is managing the hype that comes with choosing a quarterback in the highest draft slot (No. 10) in franchise history.

https://www.startribune.com/why-cant-the.../600936441

(08-07-2024, 06:48 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: The press can get it, sometimes.
===============================================
Why can’t the Vikings just name a backup quarterback?

The Vikings released their first depth chart of training camp on Tuesday, confirming a lot of what they have already told us (and what we already knew) in the past couple weeks.

Veteran Aaron Jones is the No. 1 running back. Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison are at the top of the receiver depth chart. There aren’t any huge surprises along the offensive or defensive lines.

And of course, veteran Sam Darnold is listed atop the quarterback depth chart.

The Vikings, though, deprived us (at least temporarily) from the one kernel of information we thought we might get from the depth chart.

Is it rookie J.J. McCarthy, the QB of the future? Is it Nick Mullens, the gunslinger who has appeared in nine games (including three starts) over the past two seasons with the Vikings?

Nope, the Vikings aren’t telling us that. They have their reasons, as I talked about on Wednesday’s Daily Delivery podcast, but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating or silly to see “McCarthy or Mullens” listed below Darnold and above second-year QB Jaren Hall.

Again, I understand the reason they did it. It goes like this:

If the Vikings would have listed McCarthy as the No. 2 QB on the depth chart — even an unofficial one in training camp — it would have signaled a certain progress. They wouldn’t have been beholden to it once the regular season started, but the No. 2 QB is only one injury away from hopping into a game.

The Vikings have been very clear that they aren’t going to rush McCarthy onto the field or jeopardize his development, so even naming him the No. 2 QB would have implications.

But naming McCarthy the No. 3 QB on the depth chart also would have sent a message, implied or not, that he still has a long way to go. It might have been the most honest answer; it also would have put some fans into a panic.

Most of Kevin O’Connell’s job with McCarthy is helping him become the best possible QB he can be, but a part of the job along the way is managing the hype that comes with choosing a quarterback in the highest draft slot (No. 10) in franchise history.

https://www.startribune.com/why-cant-the.../600936441

I think the story is mostly accurate, for the reasons mentioned. I think the bigger deal is if you have JJM be the true 3rd string QB, his reps are severely limited in the real NFL world. That can't happen, he needs the reps. Hence a shared #2 QB situation: getting lots of reps, but if Darnold gets injured in Game 2, Mullens will actually be put in. Makes all kinds of sense from a depth chart perspective. JJM is getting reps more like a 1A scenario then a true #2 anyway.
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(08-08-2024, 06:10 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I think the story is mostly accurate, for the reasons mentioned. I think the bigger deal is if you have JJM be the true 3rd string QB, his reps are severely limited in the real NFL world. That can't happen, he needs the reps. Hence a shared #2 QB situation: getting lots of reps, but if Darnold gets injured in Game 2, Mullens will actually be put in. Makes all kinds of sense from a depth chart perspective. JJM is getting reps more like a 1A scenario then a true #2 anyway.

Yep, I think that's exactly right.

(08-07-2024, 06:58 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: I mentioned this in another thread but I'm 100% convinced that the team wants Hall on the roster for the 2025 season as only JJM & Hall will have knowledge of the offense.

Darnold is on a one year deal. Mullens is on the final year of his deal & unlikely to stick around.

Ideally, Hall could be stashed on the PS for the entire season. But remember, even Kellen Mond was claimed when the team waived him in the final cut down.

Interesting point. You may be right, but I have my doubts Hall is ready to QB2 in the NFL, especially since we haven't really been hearing anything about him in his 2nd camp. That could change with a good preseason though. 

I actually think Mullens is the most likely QB2 next year. Nobody is going to give him starter money. And if I'm going to go be a backup somewhere, it's going to be with the Vikings, where I know the offense inside and out...not to mention all their weapons, their line and their pockets full of cash. I wouldn't even be surprised to see the Vikings overpay a little for the security that Mullens would provide.

(08-08-2024, 07:33 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Yep, I think that's exactly right.

Interesting point. You may be right, but I have my doubts Hall is ready to QB2 in the NFL, especially since we haven't really been hearing anything about him in his 2nd camp. That could change with a good preseason though. 

I actually think Mullens is the most likely QB2 next year. Nobody is going to give him starter money. And if I'm going to go be a backup somewhere, it's going to be with the Vikings, where I know the offense inside and out...not to mention all their weapons, their line and their pockets full of cash. I wouldn't even be surprised to see the Vikings overpay a little for the security that Mullens would provide.

Agreed. Mullens isn't great but at least what we've seen to date, the gap between he and Hall is vast. Mullens knows the offense just as well as Hall I'd bet, so I don't see why we'd keep Hall. Cheaper, sure, but I keep hearing about all this cap space we have next year. If Darnold stinks bad enough to lower his own price tag, the decision may even be between Darnold and Mullens. Either way I think Hall is out unless one of the other 3 get hurt or is traded (Mullens) in the next couple weeks.

(08-08-2024, 09:00 AM)pattersaur Wrote: Agreed. Mullens isn't great but at least what we've seen to date, the gap between he and Hall is vast. Mullens knows the offense just as well as Hall I'd bet, so I don't see why we'd keep Hall. Cheaper, sure, but I keep hearing about all this cap space we have next year. If Darnold stinks bad enough to lower his own price tag, the decision may even be between Darnold and Mullens. Either way I think Hall is out unless one of the other 3 get hurt or is traded (Mullens) in the next couple weeks.

I think Darnold could be an option. I think for the Vikings he would be their top choice....the ideal backup. But I think that only happens if he doesn't show any improvement at all in this offense and McCarthy replaces him early in the year (which seems unlikely). That would probably remove all starter and bridge offers he might get from other teams, leaving him with only backup offers, which the Vikings should be able to compete with.