Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Did you see what Kirko said?
(07-30-2024, 01:15 PM)Zanary Wrote: Kirk had 'no trade' clauses pretty regularly in his contracts, I don't know about those opportunities.

I am fairly certain he would have waived his no trade clause for the right opportunity,  I dont think we would have gotten much for him considering his contract demands,  but I think he could have been moved.

His comments made no sense to me. Of course we all knew that with or without Kirko Chainz, we were going to be fishing for his eventual QB replacement in the draft.
What did make sense, however, is that he did express that Kwesi and KOC were not promising him the moon, sun and stars above...and my takeaway is that he felt they were being straight up with him. And now in hindsight, the Falcons threw him a curve ball by drafting Penix at #8 (his certain replacement and that won't take the full four years of his contract), and it sounds like he's saying the Vikings were always straight up, and right away, the Falcons were not.

An interesting "in perfectly 20/20 hindsight" perspective.

Anyone else get a similar translation from his comments?

'Independent thinkers'. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/arthur-blank-on...t-thinkers

"I know age does kind of creep up," Blank said. "I can speak myself personally on that a little bit. I know what that means. Kirk will be 36 at the start of the season. We hope and pray he's got three to four great years in front of him, maybe beyond that. Who knows? But we also know that at some point, there will be a point that we'll need a transition. We want to make sure we do that smoothly. ..." - Arthur Blank

Like I said right after the draft...No one would have batted an eye if we had resigned Cousins and then drafted a first round QB. In fact, it was expected. So, Atlanta did the same thing, and everyone thinks it was stupid.

I have more concerns about Cousins coming back within the first 4 games of the season (Achilles 11 month recovery time average) and then maybe at 85% until the end of the season. Then there is the real threat of repeating the tear. I am very happy we decided to not take that risk and move on although we are clearly in a transition year.

(08-01-2024, 07:44 AM)minny65 Wrote: Like I said right after the draft...No one would have batted an eye if we had resigned Cousins and then drafted a first round QB.  In fact, it was expected.  So, Atlanta did the same thing, and everyone thinks it was stupid. 

I have more concerns about Cousins coming back within the first 4 games of the season (Achilles 11 month recovery time average) and then maybe at 85% until the end of the season.  Then there is the real threat of repeating the tear.  I am very happy we decided to not take that risk and move on although we are clearly in a transition year.

IMO, Its stupid because of the contract Cousins signed with Atlanta. Minnesota wanted one year. That's why it's dumb. Look at the live cap hit each year, then look at the dead cap when he's 38 and 39 years old for the Falcons: total of $37.5 million. 

Nobody is saying Kirk can't ball. Nobody is saying that KOC didn't prefer to keep him. But when you commit to a guy like the Falcons did, then draft a QB at #8 when you should have tried to help the team RIGHT NOW with the pick, that's where the scrutiny resides.
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(08-01-2024, 08:16 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: IMO, Its stupid because of the contract Cousins signed with Atlanta. Minnesota wanted one year. That's why it's dumb. Look at the live cap hit each year, then look at the dead cap when he's 38 and 39 years old for the Falcons: total of $37.5 million. 

Nobody is saying Kirk can't ball. Nobody is saying that KOC didn't prefer to keep him. But when you commit to a guy like the Falcons did, then draft a QB at #8 when you should have tried to help the team RIGHT NOW with the pick, that's where the scrutiny resides.

Arguably, it becomes two approaches towards the same thing:

Minnesota wanted to keep their flexibility with one-year deals, which frankly can feel kinda insulting to someone who's been the best offensive leader the team has had in ages...though age, injury, etc, certainly play their parts. What it showed was the the Vikings believed in Cousins LESS than other teams had believed in Rodgers, Favre, Brady, and so on. He'd plainly said he wanted to retire in purple, the team said...well, then retire next year, or we're not all that interested.

Considering he'd been through multiple 1-year franchise deals in Washington already, I can see where that would sting a bit, especially as he'd been among the most sacked/hit QBs through his time on the team. Yes, he made bank...but, compare him to people like Dak Prescott over the last few years and all the kids getting $50million or more per season, and...remember that he was leading or right with any/all of them last season up to the moment he got hurt.

KAM wanted the flexibility, and I don't blame him...from a purely objective standpoint. As I've shown above, I can see Cousins' points as well. They had an impasse, both decided to move on.

So, we're (most likely) starting Darnold, with JJM lurking...instead of starting Kirko Chainz.

Meanwhile, Atlanta dangled multiple years and only slightly more money (along with in-law proximity) in front of a QB who feels like he can play at a high level for years, yet, and likely has slighly wounded pride to go with his healing tendon. Throw in a top-tier offensive line and a slew of hungry, young prospects at skill positions, and Kirk could possibly have his best situation right ahead of him. The drafting of Penix is awkward, but as Blank said, he wants the eventual, inevitable transition to be smooth...

...which, frankly, could have been true in either place. The Vikings get to spend some "QB money" (despite dead cash from pushing Kirk's money around) with one cheap QB and a rookie on the roster...so, that's a seeming positive. All said, though, a whole lot of eyes will be watching an unofficial "Darnold vs Cousins" competition this season; there will be huge curiosity as to which QB makes the most of the new opportunity.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

I'm just so glad we finally moved on. I never need to hear about Kirk Cousins again.

(08-01-2024, 10:25 AM)comet52 Wrote: I'm just so glad we finally moved on.  I never need to hear about Kirk Cousins again.

Get used to disappointment, there will be comparisons and an actual game against Atlanta in December.

Also, as he's roughly third in most of the team's QB records, he'll be mentioned for years to come.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

In a draft thats full of them, this is one of the more interesting story lines to look back on in some future year.

I wish ATL drafted Odunze and kept him off the Bears. 

I hope they end up regretting not drafting Turner or JJ @ 8.