Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Did you see what Kirko said?
He was on Chase Daniel's podcast and said 'Minnesota told me if they resigned me, they'd be highly unlikely to draft a QB'. Worked out well for Cousins in Atlanta, hasn't it, lol? He obviously had a hard on they wouldn't commit beyond a year contract and were going to pay Jefferson and others top coin. Its going to be very interesting to watch Atlanta this season.

(07-30-2024, 07:03 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: He was on Chase Daniel's podcast and said 'Minnesota told me if they resigned me, they'd be highly unlikely to draft a QB'. Worked out well for Cousins in Atlanta, hasn't it, lol? He obviously had a hard on they wouldn't commit beyond a year contract and were going to pay Jefferson and others top coin. Its going to be very interesting to watch Atlanta this season.

Either he's lying or KOC was lying to him. Not only were we always going to take a QB in the draft this year, we tried to move up and take one last year. 

Whole quote:
“I don’t think they were ready to go there yet in March,” Cousins said, via quotes distributed by TheAthletic.com. “I think the reality is just that they wanted to give themselves that flexibility. And I remember [coach] Kevin [O’Connell]'s words, which I’m not going to hold them to, were, ‘Hey, if we sign you back, I would think it’s very unlikely that we would draft somebody.’ It was something to that effect. But I also know in the league things change.”
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(07-30-2024, 07:24 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Either he's lying or KOC was lying to him. Not only were we always going to take a QB in the draft this year, we tried to move up and take one last year. 

Whole quote:
“I don’t think they were ready to go there yet in March,” Cousins said, via quotes distributed by TheAthletic.com. “I think the reality is just that they wanted to give themselves that flexibility. And I remember [coach] Kevin [O’Connell]'s words, which I’m not going to hold them to, were, ‘Hey, if we sign you back, I would think it’s very unlikely that we would draft somebody.’ It was something to that effect. But I also know in the league things change.”

I still like Kirk and don't wish him any ill will. But I think stuff can get in his head. There's going to be pressure to play very well with that contract and Penix right there. The fanbase isn't very rabid and pretty tepid, quite actually, but the media will be the media if he starts slow out of the gate. My opinion is he'll be fine, but it will be interesting to watch.

Funny how memories get muddy...

Reading where Kirko wants to get some pre-season game time in and thats at odds with Morris.

ATL is one of the more interesting teams to watch this season - are they really going to take that next step with Kirko? OR will the football gods smite them down?

It feels like it's implied that comment came in March 2024, I guess I would be curious if that is 100% what Cousins is saying. By all accounts, we've been targeting this draft class for over a year and by evidence, we've been building our team to have a window that coincides with us having a QB likely on a rookie contract.

Any other position, you know that guys are gunning for your spot. At QB, I'm not sure why they coddle these guys, and pretend like they are the man and aren't going to have any competition.

I think he is saying...
1. If the Vikings signed him long term it would not make sense to draft a QB high (which we know the Vikings wanted a QB for the future and were within striking distance)
2. That is why I think the Vikings were not willing to commit long term and tied to such guarantees when they intended to draft a QB. Cousins wanted long term guarantees (which would mean the Vikings will not be able to draft a franchise QB) and the Vikings wanted to draft a QB and use Cousins as bridge QB something Cousins did not want
Thus the deal was not possible.
Funny how it all ended up

(07-30-2024, 09:53 AM)mblack Wrote: I think he is saying...
1. If the Vikings signed him long term it would not make sense to draft a QB high (which we know the Vikings wanted a QB for the future and were within striking distance)
2. That is why I think the Vikings were not willing to commit long term and tied to such guarantees when they intended to draft a QB. Cousins wanted long term guarantees (which would mean the Vikings will not be able to draft a franchise QB) and the Vikings wanted to draft a QB and use Cousins as bridge QB something Cousins did not want
Thus the deal was not possible.
Funny how it all ended up

I agree that the term is key here. I still think the Vikings would've drafted a QB, but Kirk and KOC may have been assuming the only way they would've been ABLE to sign him was if they offered a long-term deal, making a 1st round QB less likely. But again, I think they still would've done it considering the quality of the QB class in front of them and where they were picking.

It was time to turn the page on Kirko, and you dont give a 36 year old quarterback coming off an achillies rupture anywhere close to what the Falcons did. My only complaint is we should have moved him for draft picks when we could have. Same with Hunter. I think there were certainly opportunities to do that

(07-30-2024, 07:24 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Either he's lying or KOC was lying to him. Not only were we always going to take a QB in the draft this year, we tried to move up and take one last year. 

Whole quote:

I'm guessing KOC said something to that effect...  probably if we sign you long-term, it's unlikely we'll draft a QB because we're not going to mortgage the future trading up for one.

However...  I'm guessing what was unsaid... is if a guy they liked fell at or near their pick, then they would take him to groom behind Kirk.

Regardless, Kirk is at the point in his career where teams are going to be planning for the future with him as their QB.  Very few QBs have played well into their 40s and at 36, Cousins likely only has 2-3 years of top play before age related decline sets in.

(07-30-2024, 12:48 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: It was time to turn the page on Kirko, and you dont give a 36 year old quarterback coming off an achillies rupture anywhere close to what the Falcons did. My only complaint is we should have moved him for draft picks when we could have. Same with Hunter. I think there were certainly opportunities to do that

Kirk had 'no trade' clauses pretty regularly in his contracts, I don't know about those opportunities.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zanary's post: