Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Training camp has arrived
I think the Monday (today) practice in front of fans at night has been canceled because of the rainy weather. Debby is bringing us rain down here in Florida, much more in the northwest part of the state on the Gulf side as she hits landfall.

(08-05-2024, 06:01 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I think the Monday (today) practice in front of fans at night has been canceled because of the rainy weather. Debby is bringing us rain down here in Florida, much more in the northwest part of the state on the Gulf side as she hits landfall.

You're on the east side of FL right? Hopefully just a bit of rain for you.

Yah, tonights practice for fans was cancelled:

With inclement weather in the forecast, the Vikings canceled Monday’s activities and instead will hold a night practice on Monday, Aug. 12.

Thursday’s practice this week was scheduled to be the Vikings’ last practice of training camp fans could watch. 

Now fans will have another chance to see the team before the Vikings head to Cleveland next week for joint practices against the Browns and a preseason game there Aug. 17.

Though all eyes have been on rookie quarterback J.J. McCarthy, other players have also fared well.

It’s hard to believe the Vikings  play a preseason game against the Las Vegas Raiders on Saturday at U.S. Bank Stadium.

That will give the coaching staff perhaps its best chance yet to evaluate where some of the position battles stand.

In the meantime, the Vikings will continue to work their way through training camp at TCO Performance Center, knowing there is still a lot of room for improvement in all phases.

Here are some players who have stood out so far:

Sam Darnold

Though there have been some ups and downs for veteran quarterback Sam Darnold, he has definitely found his stride as of late. He has followed multiple solid efforts in camp with another impressive effort. Maybe the most promising thing is that Darnold is clearly building chemistry with star receiver Justin Jefferson. The two of them have produced a number of highlights in training camp to this point. No doubt the Vikings hope that continues moving forward.

J.J. McCarthy

After focusing on his fundamentals in the spring, rookie quarterback J.J. McCarthy has been much improved in the summer. He looks confident under center in training camp and has already proven to have a good grasp of the offense. There have been way more good practices than bad ones for McCarthy, which is a good sign for the Vikings as he continues to learn the ropes of the position. The arm talent isn’t a question as he has shown he can sling it with the best of them. The next step is developing the touch needed to succeed at the highest level.

Jalen Nailor

There is still a legitimate competition for the receiver spot alongside Jefferson and Jordan Addison. That said, speedy receiver Jalen Nailor might be the fastest receiver the Vikings have, and he appears to be running ahead of the pack midway through training camp. He’s slowly started to separate himself by making big plays on a daily basis. The biggest challenge for Nailor throughout his career has been staying healthy. If he can finally do that, he could end up playing a pivotal role on offense.

Theo Jackson

If anybody has attended a practice at training camp, they have more than likely noticed safety Theo Jackson. He has been extremely hard to miss as he seems to make an interception whenever he’s targeted. Though that might be a bit of hyperbole, Jackson has clearly established himself as a rotational player who could make a big impact on defense. The rise of Jackson is good news for the Vikings and likely bad news for young safety Lewis Cine and his chances of making the team.

Will Reichard

There wasn’t much of a kicking competition in training camp as the Vikings have handed the keys to rookie kicker Will Reichard. After surprisingly missing a pair of field-goal attempts last week, Reichard was very impressive over the weekend, going 6 for 6 on field-goal attempts. Now he needs to prove he can do it in live action.

https://www.twincities.com/2024/08/04/wh...mp-so-far/
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

Mr. Darnold looked very good yesterday at camp, supposedly. Or do we not have any corners? lol, the age old question!

[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(08-08-2024, 08:29 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Some highlights of Darnold to JJ

https://x.com/vikingzfanpage/status/1821393924402913626

I likey!  Some nice throws in there.

BOOM

(08-08-2024, 08:29 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Some highlights of Darnold to JJ

https://x.com/vikingzfanpage/status/1821393924402913626

Murphy should be an all pro after being schooled by Jefferson every day  Smile  I can't imagine any other corner in the league that gets to play at that level every day.  Wish we had a big time corner who could really help Jefferson take it to another (that is assuming there is another level!)
[-] The following 1 user Likes JR44's post:

I could do without the happy feet, but this accuracy under pressure is ridiculous...Cousins like. 

https://x.com/vikingzfanpage/status/1821649663918809263

Remember that under throw to Nailor couple weeks ago? Not this time...

https://x.com/vikingzfanpage/status/1821641399944499443

Rookie QB Stats in training camp (so far)

- Caleb Williams: 20TD/6 INT
- Jayden Daniels: 18TD/3 INT
- Drake Maye: 17TD/2 INT
- Bo Nix: 26TD/5 INT
- JJ McCarthy: 32 TD/2 INT
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Tip for those watching the X vids being posted: Whatever you do, DON'T read the comments!  Tongue I thought I was skeptical on Darnold but these miserable bastards just piss on everybody and everything.  Sick Ugh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RS_Express's post:

(08-09-2024, 01:06 AM)RS_Express Wrote: Tip for those watching the X vids being posted: Whatever you do, DON'T read the comments!  Tongue I thought I was skeptical on Darnold but these miserable bastards just piss on everybody and everything.  Sick Ugh.

It's horrible. Don't forget all the bots out there as well, stirring the shit. Other team's fans live to rip rookie QBs of other teams. Its just vile and toxic. I never read the comments on X. Musk ruined it anyway with his changes, 60% of my feed now is garbage I can't remove because I don't pay. 

As I've said before, if you want to despair for humanity and its future, read the comments on Twitter.
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post: